Can we talk about Sturgis?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
You think this will be noticeable elsewhere in the US vs just a bump in SD's relatively small case count?
Meade county, SD is sitting at 94 cases total, 1 death. Since Sturgis is near the county line, surrounding counties are in play--Pennington, Custer, Lawrence, Butte. Let's see what happens. Science says they'll be hurting soon. Bad science, baaaaaad!

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I find this funnier than hell. All the people that were totally OK with BLM protests all over the country, in multiple cities, with thousands and thousands of people crowded in shoulder to shoulder, many of them wearing flimsy bandannas (which actually spread the virus more efficiently than no mask) or less, didn't give a sh!t about high risk behavior. Because it was "for the cause."

Now a few thousand probable Trumpies (although felons can't vote) are going to be engaging in high risk behavior and the internet is all atwitter. (see what I did there?)

So really, my conclusion is that for a certain demographic, high risk behavior is seen through a filter re the participants politics. The blatant hypocrisy is fairly amusing.

But no worries, we will send Hal in to to clean the town out. He can put up some really mean memes directed at that crowd he keeps saying doesn't intimidate him. Me thinks he dust protest too much, but whatever. The Hells Angels have a clubhouse in Sturgis. A couple of years ago they had a fight that progressed to a shootout with the Mongols in front of the clubhouse during this event. Go get them Hal!!

And re the participants age, that actually makes this safer for the rest of us. They're more likely to get sick and die. A younger crowd is actually a bigger problem because they are largely asymptomatic "super spreaders." The old people are more likely to reap the results of their own behavior where with a younger crowd they go merrily on their way to pass the virus for God knows how long. Symptom free.

BLDM

Biker Lives Don't Matter.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I find this funnier than hell. All the people that were totally OK about BLM protests all over the country, in multiple cities, with people crowded in shoulder to shoulder, many of them wearing bandannas (which actually spread the virus more efficiently than no mask) didn't give a sh!t about high risk behavior. Because it was "for the cause."

Now a few thousand probable Trumpies (although felons can't vote) are going to be engaging in high risk behavior and the internet is all atwitter. (see what I did there?)

So really, my conclusion is that for a certain demographic, high risk behavior is seen through a filter re the participants politics. The blatant hypocrisy is fairly amusing.

But no worries, we will send Hal into to clean the town out. He can put up some really mean memes directed at that crowd he keeps saying doesn't intimidate him. Me thinks he dust protest too much, but whatever. The Hells Angels have a clubhouse in Sturgis. A couple of years ago they had a fight that progressed to a shootout with the Mongols in front of it during this event.

And re the participants age, that actually makes this safer for the rest of us. They're more likely to get sick and die. A younger crowd is actually a bigger problem because they are largely asymptomatic "super spreaders." The old people are more likely to reap the results of their own behavior where with a younger crowd they go merrily on their way to pass the virus for God knows how long. Symptom free.

BLDM

Who is it that's not okay with Sturgis covidiots but totally okay with protest covidiots? Exactly who is it that doesn't give a poop? Name them.

I have to admit, the fate of covidiots concerns me little. It's a function of indifferent cause and effect. It's the innocent bystanders...

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Oh fvcking please. You are being intentionally obtuse or you haven't been reading much of this place. A little honesty would help your situ.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I find this funnier than hell. All the people that were totally OK with BLM protests all over the country, in multiple cities, with thousands and thousands of people crowded in shoulder to shoulder, many of them wearing flimsy bandannas (which actually spread the virus more efficiently than no mask) or less, didn't give a sh!t about high risk behavior. Because it was "for the cause."

But no worries, we will send Hal in to to clean the town out. He can put up some really mean memes directed at that crowd he keeps saying doesn't intimidate him. Me thinks he dust protest too much, but whatever. The Hells Angels have a clubhouse in Sturgis. A couple of years ago they had a fight that progressed to a shootout with the Mongols in front of the clubhouse during this event. Go get them Hal!!

BLDM

That's a lot of motivated reasoning.

Some facecoverings (favored by young people in Portland wearing black at night) promote the spread of the virus, knice!

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

BLDM

I'm not sure your premise is correct. Did anyone say that the protests were ok in light of covid? I know I didn't. I read a lot of posts saying covid would spike because of them. More posts saying that the police and government were acting in an unconstitutional manner. But I don't know of anyone who said the protests get a covid pass.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Meade county, SD is sitting at 94 cases total, 1 death. Since Sturgis is near the county line, surrounding counties are in play--Pennington, Custer, Lawrence, Butte. Let's see what happens. Science says they'll be hurting soon. Bad science, baaaaaad!
Okay, a post ago, it was "their homes all over the country". Not neighboring South Dakota counties. That wasn't more than one post prior to this one. So yeah, I think there'll be in an increase in the Sturgis area.

Other than some testimonials, I don't think we'll see any statistical bump in Florida, California, Texas, big states where people would be going to this thing.

I am not sure what county in Wisconsin Harley Davidsons are produced in, but that's worth watching. I'd nominate Volusia County in Florida; there are a shitload of Harley peeps there.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

BLDM

why are you waltzing around intent of both groups? Even if all your biased framing is true :rolleyes: how do you equate people going to a big party with the sole intent to just have fun and those going to promote social and political change?
Unless you feel social change is trivial, maybe:rolleyes:

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Okay, a post ago, it was "their homes all over the country". Not neighboring South Dakota counties. That wasn't more than one post prior to this one. So yeah, I think there'll be in an increase in the Sturgis area.

Other than some testimonials, I don't think we'll see any statistical bump in Florida, California, Texas, big states where people would be going to this thing.

I am not sure what county in Wisconsin Harley Davidsons are produced in, but that's worth watching. I'd nominate Volusia County in Florida; there are a shitload of Harley peeps there.
Bikers in masks...where's the freedumb? A lot depends on the rules and regulations in place in those home states. There seems to be no rules in FL except in certain localities. TX and CA are under executive order to observe a bunch of protocols. Still, the TV news daily identifies states where numbers are already large or getting larger. It shouldn't be that difficult to see if Sturgis will make a dent nationwide.

In TX, politics led Gov. Abbott to open before CDC guidelines were met. At that time, numbers were relatively low except in Houston and Dallas, so people elsewhere in the state were complacent about the virus. I suppose it could be viewed that opening gave the Gov. a chance to show the complacent why they shouldn't be complacent. It seems to have worked except among the most covidiot of the covidiots.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
BLDM

Spoken like an old person in Central Florida trying to make a right onto a road with another old person on a Harley Road Glide, Honda Goldwing, or one of those big BMW touring bikes trying to have a peaceful buzz down the byway oncoming.

Not sure why the coastal liberals care about Sturgis, South Dakota. Great place for exactly this.