Can we talk about school.....particularly quizzes, test, mid-terms, and finals?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I love to say to students, "You didn't write this."

They say "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME?"

I say, "We can go talk to the Dean and I'll make my case why you cheated or just give you a zero."

They say, "Oh, well, I didn't cheat, but I will just take the zero."

"Sure."
you're talking to a spambot

Reactions: hal9000

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
you're talking to a spambot
I don't mind.

It's like when people are talking and while they are talking and I'm not listening.

Just thinking of what I'm going to say.

Some of my most satifisying interaction here have been with spambots.

I like Ryan.

Maybe he can score me some drugs.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
tugboat people can make bank, in fact anyone who goes to the Maritime Academy. If you don't mind being gone for months you can have the majority of the year off of work
I know several people who went to Cal Maritime and every single one has had a really successful career.

Reactions: Ifallalot

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I love to say to students, "You didn't write this."

They say "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME?"

I say, "We can go talk to the Dean and I'll make my case why you cheated or just give you a zero."

They say, "Oh, well, I didn't cheat, but I will just take the zero."

"Sure."
I used to grade papers for Santa Barbara City College. So easy to spot a bought or borrowed a paper. As I was just a grader I had no interactions with the students. I dunno what the professor did with it all.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I used to grade papers for Santa Barbara City College. So easy to spot a bought or borrowed a paper. As I was just a grader I had no interactions with the students. I dunno what the professor did with it all.
what are the most common indicators?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
what are the most common indicators?
The most obvious is a paper that in no way even attempts to answer the question. Another is writing ability far above the typical freshmen level, or just reads "professional." Those two often go together, but if it's just the latter then I could be wrong; lots of people re-enter college and already have good writing ability. I also had multiple instances of a recycled paper, one semester to the next, and one even the same semester. Like some kid gave/sold his paper to his buddy.

Like I said I never confronted the students, I would just tell the professor "I think they bought this paper" or "I've seen this paper before."

Reactions: hal9000 and afoaf

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The most obvious is a paper that in no way even attempts to answer the question. Another is writing ability far above the typical freshmen level, or just reads "professional." Those two often go together, but if it's just the latter then I could be wrong; lots of people re-enter college and already have good writing ability. I also had multiple instances of a recycled paper, one semester to the next, and one even the same semester. Like some kid gave/sold his paper to his buddy.

Like I said I never confronted the students, I would just tell the professor "I think they bought this paper" or "I've seen this paper before."
I often saw papers that looked suspicious. My favorite strategy was to select a particularly suspect phrase or sentence and google it. Caught several cheaters that way.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
I often saw papers that looked suspicious. My favorite strategy was to select a particularly suspect phrase or sentence and google it. Caught several cheaters that way.
Ha! This was in the mid-late US-90s. I still had dial-up and didn't even think to search the internet for something. Good tactic!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
tugboat people can make bank, in fact anyone who goes to the Maritime Academy. If you don't mind being gone for months you can have the majority of the year off of work
Had an ex student, one of the only ones that surfed (was longboard champion of the local HS league) who went that route. He was employed with an international shipping line working on getting the hours for his captain's/harbor pilot's license. Well, international routes entail a lot of down hours with not much to do, and from what I was told there's a lot of drug use going on. Long story short, his vessel was boarded and searched and he and a lot of crew were arrested and spent some time in prison. I heard he's back working on boats, but not sure what his possibilites are now, with a felony conviction...

• Sad
Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ha! This was in the mid-late US-90s. I still had dial-up and didn't even think to search the internet for something. Good tactic!
We have Turnitin.com

But that is too much work.

When I'm grading a lot, I can tell a well written paper by how it looks from a couple a feet away without reading.

I can tell if the student cheated in about 3 sentences.

During the break, I get out of grading shape but it comes back in about two weeks.