Can we talk about school.....particularly quizzes, test, mid-terms, and finals?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Joining this party late.

As a teacher I always told my students, "In this class there is NO HOMEWORK..." Cheers from the students. "...IF you can finish your work during classtime." I'd say about half the kids finished during class time. Of the other half, about half would finish as homework. That one quarter....well, the most common report card "comment" I left when students failed was, "Dose not complete assignments or homework." Seriously, I felt the one thing I was most tryng to instill in them was a sense of a work ethic. The harder you worl the luckier you get.

I'm generally optimistic about today's youth. As a teacher, in spite of the knuckleheads that made teaching stressful, the majority of the kids were decent and well intentioned. As a parent, my daughter, my nieces, their friends, all did well in school. My daughter and her cousin just graduated HS and both had the highest GPAs of any family members, ever (my daughter was 4.2). And yet both, of their own volition, decided to enroll in community college. What's the point, they said, of spending money for online classes? So my daughter is getting GE requirements done and taking some 3-D animation and computer coding stuff, classes that are easlily adapted to online learning. In Fall '23 she will transfer. OK, enough of the proud dad rant.

Question for Grommy- if the blame for public education's failing are "the incompetent leftists running state governments," how do you explain that 8 out of of 10 of the lowest ranking states ( 9 if you include Arizona which Trump supposedly won) are red states? :shrug:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Joining this party late.

As a teacher I always told my students, "In this class there is NO HOMEWORK..." Cheers from the students. "...IF you can finish your work during classtime." I'd say about half the kids finished during class time. Of the other half, about half would finish as homework. That one quarter....well, the most common report card "comment" I left when students failed was, "Dose not complete assignments or homework." Seriously, I felt the one thing I was most tryng to instill in them was a sense of a work ethic. The harder you worl the luckier you get.

I'm generally optimistic about today's youth. As a teacher, in spite of the knuckleheads that made teaching stressful, the majority of the kids were decent and well intentioned. As a parent, my daughter, my nieces, their friends, all did well in school. My daughter and her cousin just graduated HS and both had the highest GPAs of any family members, ever (my daughter was 4.2). And yet both, of their own volition, decided to enroll in community college. What's the point, they said, of spending money for online classes? So my daughter is getting GE requirements done and taking some 3-D animation and computer coding stuff, classes that are easlily adapted to online learning. In Fall '23 she will transfer. OK, enough of the proud dad rant.

Question for Grommy- if the blame for public education's failing are "the incompetent leftists running state governments," how do you explain that 8 out of of 10 of the lowest ranking states ( 9 if you include Arizona which Trump supposedly won) are red states? :shrug:

good luck getting an answer to that last question.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Joining this party late.

lean on the coding classes...you learn the nuts and bolts and you can do any job in the organization

get a business degree mixed with some comp-sci/networking stuff and she'll be able to buy a house in our neighborhood some day

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
lean on the coding classes...you learn the nuts and bolts and you can do any job in the organization
Told the nieces and nephews to look into to SQL/database/Python, general engineering classes, or in a pinch, Excel certification.

So far:

1 fashion design
2 tugboat crewmate
3 vet assistant
4 child development
5 airline pilot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Told the nieces and nephews to look into to SQL/database/Python, general engineering classes, or in a pinch, Excel certification.

So far:

1 fashion design
2 tugboat crewmate
3 vet assistant
4 child development
5 airline pilot
tugboat people can make bank, in fact anyone who goes to the Maritime Academy. If you don't mind being gone for months you can have the majority of the year off of work

Reactions: hammies

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
those all seem like passion careers which is even better

if you can get in to something you're passionate about, good

if you're aimless, python, database, networking are all AMAZING skills that get your foot in the door and will allow you to find your way once you're on the inside

at this point, I've done almost everything short of being "sexy marketing babe at tradeshow"

Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
tugboat people can make bank, in fact anyone who goes to the Maritime Academy. If you don't mind being gone for months you can have the majority of the year off of work
I knew a guy that drove for CalTrain...worked a few hours in the morning and surfed all day

probably retired and flush right now

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I knew a guy that drove for CalTrain...worked a few hours in the morning and surfed all day

probably retired and flush right now
Or he did like my uncle and got a second state job at like 50 so he can get that sweet double pension

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Or he did like my uncle and got a second state job at like 50 so he can get that sweet double pension
yeah, that double pension game is real....neighbor is Air Force and his wife just finished nursing school and took a commission with them as well. the benefits are pretty wild.

my brother's friend is a Coast Guard lifer...seems like an interesting way to game that armed services scratch with lower risk of winding up in a fox hole somewheres

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
At my sisters' school district they are having trouble getting subs.

When someone suggests upping the pay, they get all "[N-word], please!"

At my school a couple of teachers have turned down classes at the last minute because they don't want to teach in class.

I'm ready to get covid'ed on by the kids, having been tripled vaxed and covid infected. :dancing:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
To be honest, I can't say that I have learned much in college, but I have met a lot of people with whom I am still in touch and we also help each other when needed. I remember how we were helping each other with homework assignments and how all of us were bad at writing and were using editing services. We all decided to use this one Papercheck reviews as it offered quality work and always very quickly and we have more time to party and do some crazy things. It was an unforgettable experience!
I love to say to students, "You didn't write this."

They say "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME?"

I say, "We can go talk to the Dean and I'll make my case why you cheated or just give you a zero."

They say, "Oh, well, I didn't cheat, but I will just take the zero."

"Sure."

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I love to say to students, "You didn't write this."

They say "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME?"

I say, "We can go talk to the Dean and I'll make my case why you cheated or just give you a zero."

They say, "Oh, well, I didn't cheat, but I will just take the zero."

"Sure."
doesn't work that way in high school.

you accuse them of cheating, you get the parents screaming at everyone, the principal acts like he's going to make an example, then eventually does nothing about it and asks you to let them resubmit the assignment.