Can we talk about school.....particularly quizzes, test, mid-terms, and finals?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
When I was a teacher I used to tell my students that even the most exciting, creative professions always consist of a lot of boring bureaucratic work. Film directors spend hours staring at spreadsheets. Game developers stare at screens full of broken code until their eyes bleed. Fighter pilots spend most of their time not flying but doing highly repetitive training as well as being the supply officer for their squadron or something like that. Actors spend hours standing around on the set doing nothing, or hours at night memorizing sh!t they will only have to regurgitate once, like studying for a test.

It kind of deflated their fantasies but they universally liked me for keeping it real.
I wish all of that translated into people not surfing. Most time spent "surfing" is actually pretty "boring" by today's standards. I guess that's why the younger generation generally surfs in groups.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Autoprax you've mixed up work load and bong load. Get it together.
My rule for college kids smoking pot is if you are stupid you don't get to smoke weed in college.

I had this girl, who was smart, show up stoned and she was cracking up.

I called her out for being stoned.

Using my words against me, she said, "You said smart people could smoke pot."

I said, "Not before class!"

And I made her leave.

She was busting up laughing as she left but she didn't do it anymore.

Reactions: hammies and hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Don’t you think knowing the extent of the damage (through testing) would be valuable information?
did you read the comment where I said "that's more than fair"?

also, what autoprax said. The kids will adjust. But some of them will do what they have always done......stare at their phone all day long during class.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Without homework, would kids never do anything on their own to reinforce what they learned in school?
If teachers were even mildly effective and the disruptive kids sent elsewhere homework wouldn't need to exist. As I stated on page one this stuff all goes back to the home. Problem is the government system keeps the hoodlums in the system dragging everyone down. Private schools and home schooling are the answer as things stand now. At a very minimum, give local municipalities full control over their schools and get the state government, federal government and corrupt teacher's unions completely out of it.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
If teachers were even mildly effective and the disruptive kids sent elsewhere homework wouldn't need to exist. As I stated on page one this stuff all goes back to the home. Problem is the government system keeps the hoodlums in the system dragging everyone down. Private schools and home schooling are the answer as things stand now. At a very minimum, give local municipalities full control over their schools and get the state government, federal government and corrupt teacher's unions completely out of it.

this from a guy who graduated with a 2.2 GPA

F2E925C8-79B1-4004-80F8-FFCCE72C7BCD.jpeg

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes, but many others won’t.

yes

no

He seems to be gravitating toward law enforcement for some dumb reason.
That is a worthy profession.

When I watch Cops, I think I would have been a good cop. I would just hate giving chickenshit tickets.

But like all public service jobs, it's getting harder and harder to do.

Does he like to read?

Smart kids would use the covid to get their reading mojo on.

I say it doesn't matter what you read either.

Sometimes I will be in class before class starts and a student will be reading a book for pleasure, and I say, "Do kids still do that?"

Then, I say "Harry Potter? Isn't that for 12 year olds?"

:roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That is a worthy profession.

When I watch Cops, I think I would have been a good cop. I would just hate giving chickenshit tickets.

But like all public service jobs, it's getting harder and harder to do.

Does he like to read?

Smart kids would use the covid to get their reading mojo on.

I say it doesn't matter what you read either.

Sometimes I will be in class before class starts and a student will be reading a book for pleasure, and I say, "Do kids still do that?"

Then, I say "Harry Potter? Isn't that for 12 year olds?"

:roflmao:
He reads.

His dream job (at the moment) is to be a Secret Service agent. He has a pretty clear path all planned out.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
He reads.

His dream job (at the moment) is to be a Secret Service agent. He has a pretty clear path all planned out.
I would like that job for the Columbian hookers.

Does he write?

That would be the next skill good for that job. And the only way you get writing fluency is to write all the time with intension of getting better.

He will have to write a sh!t ton to get into programs that get him into the SS.

Smart people write good.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
He reads.

I surf with a FBI field agent. The guy is stressed out most of the time, and sometimes looses his sht to violence on his dog. Not good.

* side note: he recently told me he would rather do a raid on a drug house with known guns on the premises than paddle out to 3x' overhead OBSF.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My rule for college kids smoking pot is if you are stupid you don't get to smoke weed in college.

I had this girl, who was smart, show up stoned and she was cracking up.

I called her out for being stoned.

Using my words against me, she said, "You said smart people could smoke pot."

I said, "Not before class!"

And I made her leave.

She was busting up laughing as she left but she didn't do it anymore.
Geological Sciences was far, far different. :roflmao: