Can we talk about critical race theory?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This seems to be the rallying cry of the right these days, maybe even more so than climate change and sea-level rise.

I don’t see why people get so upset about the concept of discussing the racism that‘s embedded in our culture and examining ways to recognize it, minimize it, and phase it out.

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
I don't know much about CRT. I think the first step in this discussion would be a definition of what it is, and what it isn't.

It was just a couple of years ago I did some reading about nationwide declining academic standards in K-12 and reports from various colleges complaining that students were massively underequipped educationally and generally just disengaged. I have two friends that are tenured college professors that have complained to me multiple times that the kids coming in now can't write their way out of a wet paper bag and are generally educationally underequipped to deal with higher learning. Is this true? Because I just Googled it, and there is a TON of information alleging it is.

Perhaps basic education and competent teaching of basic academic skills should be the primary goal before educationally you start branching out and attempting to engineer social justice?

Reactions: npsp

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Education is complicated.

Lots of variables at work.

They got rid of the college writing proficiency test you used to have to take your jr year of college because the international students (who pay high tuition) couldn't pass.

That is when you realize there is other factors at play.

There is a big push to move $$$$$ away from the classroom.

There is lots of money but not for the teachers.

Reactions: grapedrink

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
There is lots of money but not for the teachers.

The cost of attending a traditional four-year university has been rising more than twice as fast as inflation, and two-year community colleges a third faster."

Seems like they ought to be able to pull a little money out of there somewhere to pay teachers who actually give a damn.

As it sits, I think "the people" are paying more and more money for educations that provide less and less in terms of downstream economic advantages?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I have two friends that are tenured college professors that have complained to me multiple times that the kids coming in now can't write their way out of a wet paper bag and are generally educationally underequipped to deal with higher learning. Is this true? Because I just Googled it, and there is a TON of information alleging it is.
This was true 15 years ago, I imagine it's worse now. I've probably told this story here before so i will keep it short.

In my past career I was at a convention of fundraising professionals at Stanford. The speaker during the lunch portion was the dean of the law school at Stanford. He was talking about how the incoming law students were being made to take remedial writing courses because they were graduating college unable to communicate clearly on the page.
They got rid of the college writing proficiency test you used to have to take your jr year of college because the international students (who pay high tuition) couldn't pass.
Wow, so that's why. Insane.

Admittedly, when I entered college I was made to take a composition course. My grammar was fine, but apparently in high school I did not learn to stay focused in my writing; I'd go off on tangents. One semester composition course fixed that.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
This seems to be the rallying cry of the right these days, maybe even more so than climate change and sea-level rise.

I don’t see why people get so upset about the concept of discussing the racism that‘s embedded in our culture and examining ways to recognize it, minimize it, and phase it out.
The sexual assault squad has already been through this topic (and done a better job than you).

education is complicated if you are relying on your government to provide it...education also comes from your village, engaging our children on a personal level with our elders.

two ears one mouth

many of these issues would be better served if the population wasnt pacified by algorithmically generated opioids and stimulants, like a speedball (cocaine and heroin) the population is addicted to the high and no longer concerned with the who what where and why.

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
lmao! Dickflash is the forum's new source. :roflmao:

Ain't no way I'm clicking on that.

The above linked WSJ article sounds interesting.
"at the Treasury Department and federal financial agencies, diversity trainer Howard Rosstaught employees that America was “built on the backs of people who were enslaved” and that all white Americans are complicit in a system of white supremacy “by automatic response to the ways we’re taught.”

In accompanying documents, Mr. Ross argues that whites share an inborn oppressive streak. “Whiteness,” employees are told, “includes white privilege and white supremacy.” Consequently, whites “struggle to own their racism.” He instructs managers to conduct “listening sessions” in which black employees can speak about their experience and be “seen in their pain,” while white employees are instructed to “sit in the discomfort” and not “fill the silence with your own thoughts and feelings.” Members of “the group you’re allying with,” Mr. Ross says, are not “obligated to like you, thank you, feel sorry for you, or forgive you.” For training like this, Mr. Ross and his firm have been paid $5 million over 15 years, according to federal disclosures."

Being a CRT trainer sounds fairly lucrative. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
“Unlike traditional civil rights, which stresses incrementalism and step-by-step progress, critical race theory questions the very foundations of the liberal order, including equality theory, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism, and neutral principles of constitutional law.”

perfect for K-12 and workplace trainings :crazy2:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Except CRT is none of those things that you mentioned in your second sentence

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
“Unlike traditional civil rights, which stresses incrementalism and step-by-step progress, critical race theory questions the very foundations of the liberal order, including equality theory, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism, and neutral principles of constitutional law.”
^I see nothing wrong with any of that, as long as it is also as critical about itself. Any truly academic endeavor will be.

Applied in real life, and with emotion, yeah, it gets messy. Such is humanity. This discipline (or lack thereof, as appears to be the case sometimes) is young. Balance either will or will not be achieved. IMHO, it's a valid lens through which to examine life.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

What ever happened to sea level rise and global warming. Those were cool.

• Haha
Reactions: hal9000