Can we talk about Channel Islands?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Bort looked fun, but all those guys look good on most crafts IMO.
True but if you looked at the board first who would think groveller/fishy hybrid first and not imagine it performing well in waves Joe average would be riding their step up? That was my initial impression upon seeing the board. I dug seeing that board doing so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaseTMP

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
So who watched the G skate video of the Gudang's and crew surfing the board in Hawaii from the previous page?
I think the board looked tasty as in those solid waves.
Was just thinking it’s a Pod and MTF mashup. One of the few CI boards I’d like to try.

Reactions: menobrah

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Well, those fins have to somehow turn a micro board into something capable of decent waves. Uprights won't do that, or?

Reactions: sdsrfr

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It certainly looks better than the original AMT center fin which always struck me as somewhat akward with its narrow base.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
You have to love his stock and what I assume are free borts (and a wettie or two) to try.

I don’t know where in New Jersey he’s sarfing, but my wife is from Philly and I get in the water in Ocean City (wife’s family has several properties there) a couple times a year and I’ve always lucked into much better waves than I left in Los Angeles’ South Bay.

Almost every video I’ve seen of Yuri’s are in really tiny conditions. I get the feeling he avoids the CH+ top-to-bottom waves I’ve seemed to luck into most trips I’ve been out there for the last 23 years with my wife.

I will say the caliber of sarfing is pretty high in the zones where I’ve sarfed in NJ . It’s comparable to Huntington/Newport in contrast to South Bay area where the performance mean is substantially lower.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
He seems unable to hit the lip.

Still, he was able to ride it so at least it must be very user-friendly.
Agreed, but he’s an intermediate surfer at best and I think if you’re still at that level at his age, unless you’re able to get a lot of reps in at a wavepool and/or have the funds to travel consistently, you’re kind of stuck where you are.

I don’t see him getting to the point where he’s getting his fins out anytime soon unless he consistently gets out of his zone and has some sort of coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazrus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
2:31 and 3:06

What is the mental malfunction? I feel like 98% of the time if not more, I can tell at a glance if someone is going to catch the wave.

Why is some sweet and delicious bag of sugar looking straight at the next sweet and delicious bag of sugar who is obviously going, and having such a committed paddle that the sweet and delicious bag of sugar brings the section down? In neither case did it specifically ruin the sweet and delicious bag of sugar Yuri's ride, but unless the sweet and delicious bag of sugar torched your life and you're ruining the sweet and delicious bag of sugar back, what is the point?

Once in a great while, at a busy spot, like maybe at a point or Ponce Inlet, you kind of wait for a blown drop or a drop-in that fades the sweet and delicious bag of sugar with priority but the burn artist sweet and delicious bag of sugar kicks out, and you sort of sit so you can bolt and pick off the now-empty at a moment's notice.

But there's like fucking 8 sweet and delicious bag of skittles out in 43 degree water, seven second interval so bumps for all, in the fucking rain, and it's running to the beach. Do sweet and delicious bag of skittles really need to look straight at some sweet and delicious bag of sugar obviously going and paddle the section down on the sweet and delicious bag of sugar?

Reactions: Havoc