Can we talk about Channel Islands?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Yuri surfs alright and for the most part the use of his right arm going right (frontside) looks technically correct. He could do with more shoulder rotation on the backhand bottom turn, but that's his cruisy approach and better than looking as if he is trying too hard.

Air temp -3.8c, water temp 5.5c phew chilly!

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Yuri surfs alright and for the most part the use of his right arm going right (frontside) looks technically correct. He could do with more shoulder rotation on the backhand bottom turn, but that's his cruisy approach and better than looking as if he is trying too hard.

Air temp -3.8c, water temp 5.5c phew chilly!
You're a nice guy Mr J. I have a very low tolerance for adult learners because I have to put up with hordes of them that have made where I surf their favoured seachange activity. Then there's the surf schools that use my local beachbreak as their classrooms every day of the week. Get off my lawn kinda thing.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@Retropete I'm a seachanger who had surfing lessons at my adopted location :D There is a surf school too which caters for large busloads of school children, sometimes they are there for my arvo session.

I think I am surfing in a very different sort of location to you. The surf school beach is low grade beachie and there is enough room for learners swilling around in the white water and me frequently on my own or with few people on the outside. Its the beach in my soloshot vids. The makeable peaks are unpredictable and can pop out of nowhere. Waves that look like they are going to close out sometimes open up and waves that look promising can dump. So adult learners aren't going to make life difficult for me either. I love it here.

I rate Yuri well above learner - intermediate, the category I am in.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
That Japanese video did NOT get my pulse up or wallet out. No fan of undersized, underpowered boards.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I like how Yuri missed/pulled back on the one wave that looked like it had some push (a left that gave a lil’ puff). I just don’t think surfers at his level can really discern bort intricasies like EPS vs. poly, different fins etc. accurately. He can’t really generate speed and looks like he’s unstable most of the time. I get that a decent percentage of sarfers are at a similar level and his videos resonate with them, but I find his reviews kind of cringey.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
[QUOTE="Mr J, post: 3767154, member: 5516

I rate Yuri well above learner - intermediate, the category I am in.
[/QUOTE]

I don't.

He hasn't figured basic climb and drop to generate speed, which means he is stuck in a low speed vortex.

High performance short boards, even stubby hybrids don't work at lowspeeds, not enough speed to get up to a proper plane and do proper turns. He is on the wrong side of basic hydrodynamics.

One of the clearest delineators between beginners/ intermediates and competent surfers.

He is also clearly self-deluded (this board flies- so fast) and that is another tell tale delineator.

He should have a far more accurate self assessment after all that video. Inaccurate self-assessments are crack cocaine for Adult learners. Even with hrs of video evidence to the contrary.

He really should be riding a board with inbuilt trim.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I don't find Yuri's board reviews meaningful, although I haven't watched many of them. Its just that I have seen myself surf on video and know that I'm at a comparable level and been surfing much much longer than him, so I'm not going to be critical of his ability from a target audience point of view - I think most his reviews are for larger mid lengths. How many of you have seen recent vid of yourselves surfing?

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I don't find Yuri's board reviews meaningful, although I haven't watched many of them. Its just that I have seen myself surf on video and know that I'm at a comparable level and been surfing much much longer than him, so I'm not going to be critical of his ability from a target audience point of view - I think most his reviews are for larger mid lengths. How many of you have seen recent vid of yourselves surfing?
Yuri has plenty of smaller boards reviewed that he struggles on as well.
6min.38s & 7min.25s on a 7'6" Mid6. Don't blink you'll miss it. The girl who was swimming around next to their water filmer told me the first wave was "A sick one" since I pulled in as I was going out of shot and came out clean in front of her. ;) Sorry, that's all I have. Only clicked on their video as realised it was from my local beach break and didn't even realise who they were on the day as they were on the next peak across.
I prefer watching Thomye's reviews. Down to earth guy who surfs well and has useful analysis.

Last edited:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Yuri is definitely on the upper beginner/lower intermediate range IMHO. I think FR76 has correctly vocalised the reasons why; he has shown no ability in working the wave to generate speed. To use a different analogy, he is the guy at a skate park who cannot pump the transition.

I have absolutely no idea how Yuri can make a YT "surf channel" and have people that actually subscribe...

Regarding the G-skate, it doesn't look great to me but what do I know :shrug:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Yuri has plenty of smaller boards reviewed that he struggles on as well.
6min.38s & 7min.25s on a 7'6" Mid6. Don't blink you'll miss it. The girl who was swimming around next to their water filmer told me the first wave was "A sick one" since I pulled in as I was going out of shot and came out clean in front of her...

I prefer watching Thomye's reviews. Down to earth guy who surfs well and has well thought out analysis.
Nice wave you had based on positioning, didn't really give you chance to demonstrate any pumping.

I haven't seen any Thomye's reviews. The only person who I have paid much attention to is Noel Salas and Kale Brock. I did check out two of Wooly's reviews because of the JS Xero thread - my impression was very competent and capable surfer but looked like he was trying too hard, then I took a look at his channel and it seemed that review was after months out of the water due to some unspecified injury - I looked back on one of his earlier videos - a firewire something or other and he looked a lot better and smoother on that.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I didn't know that was a requirement. My meagre offering was all I could dish up for you in response to:

"How many of you have seen recent vid of yourselves surfing?"
Pumping seems to be what we are judging Yuri on and I would say to get an impression of someone's ability we would need to see some pumping and ideally off the lips and cutbacks.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Pumping seems to be what we are judging Yuri on and I would say to get an impression of someone's ability we would need to see some pumping and ideally off the lips and cutbacks.
Wrong protagonist.

"Check out Yuri slapping on the stickers pre surf...oooh he's sponsored!
:roflmao:"
Was my comment. That got the ball rolling. Or set the cat amongst the pigeons as the case may be.

Last edited: