Can we talk about Channel Islands?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
HOLY SH!T - Tell me about that Wizard!

And for the record, they make great boards. As for Casa's question about Kelly, Rob, Taylor & Lisa - $$$ talks. They're using their names to try and continue this dream. Good for them. The quality of their product frankly sucks, which I'm amazed no one discusses - mind you, not the shapers, but the quality.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
HOLY SH!T - Tell me about that Wizard!

And for the record, they make great boards. As for Casa's question about Kelly, Rob, Taylor & Lisa - $$$ talks. They're using their names to try and continue this dream. Good for them. The quality of their product frankly sucks, which I'm amazed no one discusses - mind you, not the shapers, but the quality.
Wizard Sleeve is basically a step up Pod.

But (big but) the bottom contours are not the same. Pod is single to deepish double and very slight vee right at the back.

WS is single to vee. Very slight. WS is half inch narrower. Length and thickness the same.

5’8 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/8. yes it‘s a bit too small for me but IMHO (and others who ride them, including Kelly himself) 5’8 is as big as these things work like they are designed.

Kelly actually told me I should be on a 5’6.

Let me put it this way…

The Pod is like the sexy hot slightly chubby girl who’s down to fuck and likes to party. The WS is her super model sister who’s a little bit psycho and more high maintenance, needs to be taken out to the finest restaurants and showered with shiny gifts. Then she gives you the night of your life.

Pod, waste high (with some push) to about head high. WS - chest high to as big as you can catch. More power more better.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
tell me about this sexy beast
7’6 x 20 3/8 by 3.

M13 gun. Made custom for a former CI employee. It’s the evolution of my aging process.

I had a 9’6 gun made by Renny Yater. Over time I realized there were days I’d paddle out and not want anything to do with the waves I found myself facing. The days that I actually caught waves didn’t require a 9’6.

So I got an 8’6 Padillac, surfed that for a couple seasons. Then one day I got cleaned up real bad, asked myself the question and I knew it was time. Picked up the 7’6

If the 7’6 won’t do the job then I’m not going.

It’s a great board.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't been here since the Bronze Age like Sir Casa but I don't recall CI ever being the most discussed brand on here unless it was about their weak Mystery glass jobs, the Dumpster Diver/White Diamond controversy or how impossible the Proton was to ride for anyone who wasn't a 20 something professional.

I think if anything the brand is looked upon more favorably these days and they have done a pretty good job transitioning into designing and marketing boards that are more interesting and well liked by average surfers. I don't hear the complaints about glassing quality as much and I mostly get the impression that their custom ordering process is good, especially for a large brand.

I'll always have a soft spot for CI because the Flyer was such an iconic design and it was basically the thruster that I learned how to shortboard on. I had like 3 of them.

I think I only have one CI at the moment. The Ultra Joe. It's good but it didn't blow my mind.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I haven't been here since the Bronze Age like Sir Casa but I don't recall CI ever being the most discussed brand on here unless it was about their weak Mystery glass jobs, the Dumpster Diver/White Diamond controversy or how impossible the Proton was to ride for anyone who wasn't a 20 something professional.

I think if anything the brand is looked upon more favorably these days and they have done a pretty good job transitioning into designing and marketing boards that are more interesting and well liked by average surfers. I don't hear the complaints about glassing quality as much and I mostly get the impression that their custom ordering process is good, especially for a large brand.

I'll always have a soft spot for CI because the Flyer was such an iconic design and it was basically the thruster that I learned how to shortboard on. I had like 3 of them.

I think I only have one CI at the moment. The Ultra Joe. It's good but it didn't blow my mind.
Order another Flyer. After years of riding other shapers daily drivers I ordered a Flyer for nostalgia and it's still at the top for easy to surf 2-5 foot shortboard.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
in the vein of nostalgia...

OG pod was an absolute magic board for me -- got me onto the path of riding small stubbier boards. board lasted forever despite the deck being full golf ball within a year of owning it. never broke it, ended up giving it away to a grom -- kinda wish i had kept it

kinda like Aruka I have had a bunch of their newer(ish) shortboards since then (new flyer, rook15, proton) and they have all been "good" but nothing really had that spark for me

Jan 10, 2014
Pretty irrelevant here on the gulf coast of FL, but CI never had a great presence here. Lost had alot of the fun type boards like the rocket and RNF. even the sub driver went decent here. many waves missed by guys riding super thin CIs that were not meant for here. Heard good reports about the fish beard though

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Pretty irrelevant here on the gulf coast of FL, but CI never had a great presence here. Lost had alot of the fun type boards like the rocket and RNF. even the sub driver went decent here. many waves missed by guys riding super thin CIs that were not meant for here. Heard good reports about the fish beard though
On the gulf coast of Florida surfing is irrelevant.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm not trying to be the poster child for CI but I don't see any difference in build quality or longevity between the HPSB shapers I've been riding recently (pyzel, lost, sharp eye, channel islands). There was that time period of years after the collapse of Clark where quality was poor across the board.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
7’6 x 20 3/8 by 3.

M13 gun. Made custom for a former CI employee. It’s the evolution of my aging process.

I had a 9’6 gun made by Renny Yater. Over time I realized there were days I’d paddle out and not want anything to do with the waves I found myself facing. The days that I actually caught waves didn’t require a 9’6.

So I got an 8’6 Padillac, surfed that for a couple seasons. Then one day I got cleaned up real bad, asked myself the question and I knew it was time. Picked up the 7’6

If the 7’6 won’t do the job then I’m not going.

It’s a great board.
I love the look of this board. Definitely have to order one one day.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Let me put it this way…

The Pod is like the sexy hot slightly chubby girl who’s down to fook and likes to party. The WS is her super model sister who’s a little bit psycho and more high maintenance, needs to be taken out to the finest restaurants and showered with shiny gifts. Then she gives you the night of your life.

PERFECT

Looks like I'm investing soon, then. I did do a PM Step-Up, if you're ever around to take a look.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If I remember correctly, the year Kelly rode the Wizard Sleeve at the Pipe comp he was able to ride the barrel really well on it and make some heinous looking drops, but it bogged/washed out when he tried to turn.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
He used to post here much more often.

Where's Smelly Skater?
The Grifter?
Conner Coughin'?
Tailored Sox?
Leeza Sanderson?

Just to name a few.

4 out of those 5 are most frequently seen riding boards made in Thailand.
Uh oh called out for not posting enough?

Ok let's see -
3 of the above were purchased by an venture capital group and happy they are pulling waaay more $$ than CI could ever dream of offering.
1 chose to stay with a former CI ghost shaper and good friend in retirement
1 may or may not have some regrets

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Uh oh called out for not posting enough?

Ok let's see -
3 of the above were purchased by an venture capital group and happy they are pulling waaay more $$ than CI could ever dream of offering.
1 chose to stay with a former CI ghost shaper and good friend in retirement
1 may or may not have some regrets
coffin has regrets
gorkin left with former ci shaper
others part of big money