Can we talk about Channel Islands?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
seen

Depends on what region you are in.

In this region -Ballina/Byron- he is definitely beginner standard.

That would go for Gold Coast and Margaret River areas at least.

Being able to climb and drop to generate speed is a fundamental skill without which you cannot progress.
Sydney Scale:

Manly: Intermediate
Most other beaches: Upper Beginner
North Narrabeen: blocked from paddling out

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I don't think any intermediate surfers are landing air reverses. About a gajillion of them try air reverses, but unless someone is a good skateboarder or they exclusively surf a wave with an epic launch ramp, if you are doing airs, you're advanced. IMHO the only advanced surfers who aren't doing airs are artfully taking off into overhead tubes, rebounding with authority off the...
That's not what I said - quote "beginners are only riding the white water and advanced are doing floaters and air reverses. ". I've seen 360 airs done at the beach I surf, that's got to be upper advanced.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
the infllux if covid era adult learners is skewing the mean
yeah that's me :D its time to swallow my pride and accept that by erBB standards I'm a learner. It's what @Retropete meant when he said "sea changer" - an Australian term which originated from a TV series called "Seachange" and the main character was someone who left a life in Melbourne city to re-locate at a coastal town. Why wouldn't people like me who escaped the man work remote somewhere nice if they could. I've never surfed so much as since post covid.

I don't know how long it will last, I'm only renting here, the job situation might change. So I will enjoy it while I can, surfed twice yesterday with sesh in the skatepark. Same again today. I call it surfing, but I'm actually only doing standup lid nowadays. Even in my books I am definitely a beginner on a lid - just take off and go, no more than that.

Reactions: Woke AF
Apr 6, 2015
That was last thing I’ve skated (other than sidewalks). Made a minor error and landed on my hip (the hip I cracked falling from stilts in a parade). Took me a good 3 months to walk normally again.

I’m officially too old (and not good enough) to skate bowls.
The stilts though...