Can we talk about calisthenics?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Cardio and muscular endurance, what else does one need unless a power lifter
As we age...strength. Also, the more work you do to that end, the easier it is to maintain or build when you are older.

If a person is 150 pounds there is not enough bodyweight to cause a stimulus that will be useful as a senior. Cardio is good at getting you hot and sweaty if that's your goal...but more than 30 minutes a couple times per week is futile for health.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
well aware everyone thinks their method is the only way to do things or best.
:roflmao:
OH press is tough for me due to major injuries face planting a reef years back.
Farmer’s Walk bro.
Also

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I appreciate your appreciation. When I read my own posts on this subject I come off as a preachy know it all, which isn't my intention.....(except when it is). I have a severe shortage of colloquial writing skills.
I need help with my press. TIA.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

these dudes are crazy but it seems like a real cool scene over there.
In years past, I was way into the body weight thing. And I got good results. For my upper body. If you look at most of those guys, they have chicken legs. And in order to get the results I wanted, I pretty much had to live most of my day in proximity to a pull up bar. It's fairly easy for me to do say 10 - 30 pushups after every board I cut. 20 or so boards a day. Try doing a 100 quality (slow pace) wide grip overhand pullups from a dead hang over the course of a day. It gets difficult to face that on the daily. (at least it is for me) Unless you're in a prison yard or something. But then, at my age now, I decondition really fast. The distance between overtrained and undertrained gets smaller and smaller.

And yes, I know there are guys with monster legs that have youtube videos with body weight workouts. The problem I have with that is most of the time if you go their channel you will see the same guys on leg days squatting big weight.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
In years past, I was way into the body weight thing. And I got good results. For my upper body. If you look at most of those guys, they have chicken legs. And in order to get the results I wanted, I pretty much had to live most of my day in proximity to a pull up bar. It's fairly easy for me to do say 10 - 30 pushups after every board I cut. 20 or so boards a day. Try doing a 100 quality (slow pace) wide grip overhand pullups from a dead hang over the course of a day. It gets difficult to face that on the daily. (at least it is for me) Unless you're in a prison yard or something. But then, at my age now, I decondition really fast. The distance between overtrained and undertrained gets smaller and smaller.

And yes, I know there are guys with monster legs that have youtube videos with body weight workouts. The problem I have with that is most of the time if you go their channel you will see the same guys on leg days squatting big weight.
This is probably the best calisthenics guy. He has pretty jacked legs:

What most people are asking when they ask, "Are calisthenics as good as weights?" is "Can I do something lighter and easier and get as good results?" The answer is NO, and it's much easier to make weights harder than it is to overload a calisthenic exercise or adapt it to be more difficult.

Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

What most people are asking when they ask, "Are calisthenics as good as weights?" is "Can I do something lighter and easier and get as good results?" The answer is NO, and it's much easier to make weights harder than it is to overload a calisthenic exercise or adapt it to be more difficult.
For me the efficiency of a barbell is key. I can get through a heavy squat or deadlift workout in 15 minutes from start to finish. Both are a full body exercise. Plus the cardiovascular benefits of lifting heavy weights can not be achieved via bodyweight exercises or even running.

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I guess my reason for exploring strength alternatives to heavy lifting has to do with my myocardial bridge. My cardiologist said, "Don't lift heavy weights." With regards my running, when I kind of insisted , he said "Run with a heart monitor. Keep it under 80% of max. If you feel any chest pain, stop or walk." I still get angina from time to time while running (and while surfing) but I can control that by...walking. Surfing is a little harder but it happens less.

With weights he was less equivocal. He said, "Don't." Light weights OK but heavy is a no go. Of course he didn't say what heavy was... He explained heavy lifting shoots up blood pressure. So I'm still using the barbell just not 2x bodyweight...

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I guess my reason for exploring strength alternatives to heavy lifting has to do with my myocardial bridge. MCardiologist said, "Don't lift heavy weights." With regards my running, when I kind of insisted , he said "Run with a heart monitor. Keep it under 80% of max. If you feel any chest pain, stop or walk." I still get angina from time to time while running (and while surfing) but I can control that by...walking. Surfing is a little harder but it happens less.

With weights he was less equivocal. He said, "Don't." Light weights OK but heavy is a no go. Of course he didn't say what heavy was... He explained heavy lifting shoots up blood pressure. So I'm still using the barbell just not 2x bodyweight...

that article is from 1985.

It's always worth talking to more than one doctor. For every doctor, there is an equal and opposite doctor.

Reactions: santacruzin

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
that article is from 1985.

It's always worth talking to more than one doctor. For every doctor, there is an equal and opposite doctor.
I did. A myocardial bridge expert at Stanford, Dr. Schnittger. Unfortunately she was even more alarmed at my exercising. She thought that my exercising might produce endorphins which mask the pain/angina (blood flow restriction) the bridge is creating. My bridge is on the left anterior descending artery, LAD, aka ”the widow maker.” My cardiologist described it as "significant." Dr. Schnittger told me not to run.

So my cardilogist was the less restrictive of the two given RXs. I know I might be playing with fire but...what am I going to do? Become sedentary? If it was up to the cardiologists I'd be going for walks for exercise (and maybe using rubber bands and pink dumb bells). If you read about myocardial bridges they are often described as benign. Ironically, symptoms manifest in persons who exercise a lot, as they get older. Damn.

ps went for a run today. Had to walk because of slight angina. Always at the beginning of the run (according to Dr. Schnittger, before the nedorphins kick in). My MD says maybe the other arteries "pickup the slack." Maybe.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I did. A myocardial bridge expert at Stanford, Dr. Scnittger. Unfortunately she was even more alarmed at my exercising. She thought that my exercising might produce endorphins which mask the pain/angina (blood flow restriction) the bridge is creating. My bridge is on the left anterior descending artery, LAD, aka ”the widow maker.” She told me not to run.

So my cardilogist was the lesser of two diagnosis. I know I might be playing with fire but...what am I going to do? Become sedentary? If it was up to the cardiologists I'd be going for walks for exercise.
Wow man I’m sorry to hear that. I thought you were a long distance runner.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Wow man I’m sorry to hear that. I thought you were a long distance runner.
I was. I am. I still do the occasional 13 miler, but with heart rate monitor and I don't go as fast as I used to. I have a competitive streak and I hate it when someone passes me on a run. I really struggle to curb that instinct to race.

What really scared me was about a month ago during a swell and I was caught inside. I took 7 or 8 waves on the head and started to get dizzy. I was about to head for the beach when the set relented...I think dizziness is a big red flag for me.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In years past, I was way into the body weight thing. And I got good results. For my upper body. If you look at most of those guys, they have chicken legs. And in order to get the results I wanted, I pretty much had to live most of my day in proximity to a pull up bar.
squatting your cellie in a fireman carry not doing it for you anymore? Did the warden stick you with some thin wristed 130 Lb twink? Sad! :toilet:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Chocki and Sharky

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

I took a 6-8 week break from moderate-to-heavy squats over the holidays and a heavy work travel season. thought I was still getting a good stimulus.

When I went back to even 2 plates on each I forgot just how loud that CNS signal really is. Nothing compares.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Calisthenics are great (closed vs open kinetic chain) up to a point. Once you’re able to do 10x solid reps of most exercises after that you run into serious diminishing returns and should think about adding weight/weight lifting or increasing the difficulty (rings, pistol squats, etc).

But then again
1649694589492.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
For me the efficiency of a barbell is key. I can get through a heavy squat or deadlift workout in 15 minutes from start to finish. Both are a full body exercise. Plus the cardiovascular benefits of lifting heavy weights can not be achieved via bodyweight exercises or even running.
Do the more recent fitness studies back-up the promise* of circuit training?

* - the promise, as I recall, is strength AND cardio improvements within a limited duration of exercise

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Do the more recent fitness studies back-up the promise* of circuit training?

* - the promise, as I recall, is strength AND cardio improvements within a limited duration of exercise
Strength is specific. In order to become physically stronger in a meaningful way you need to train specifically. Running or other forms of endurance training are antagonistic to the building and retention of muscle mass. There are plenty of ways to get stronger, rarely are any of them bad. Finding the way that is going to build long term adherence to a program is more important than the implement used. I like a barbell because it is the most efficient way to get whole body strong, doesn't require a huge time commitment and has a very short learning curve.

Cardio improvements are very quick and lasting and do not need much more than normal life activities (provided a person is meeting the minimum guidelines for being physically active) or sport specific practice/activity. People are conditioned to believe that more is better and necessary when it comes to cardio. The truth is that activities that make you tired and sweaty offer very little lasting benefit or much of any benefit at all above your day to day cardio requirements. Excess cardio has almost zero benefits for weightloss or cardiac risk factors...things like cholesterol levels, blood pressure, heart health, plaque etc. The popular cardio fads...Zumba, cardio kick boxing, spinning/cycle studios, and now the home versions like Peloton all have very low adherence because they don't really do anything. The short term benefit is real for a sedentary person but beyond a couple weeks ..that's it.

If you surf regularly you are way beyond the minimum activity level for good physical health and you are getting plenty of both anaerobic and aerobic activity.

What strength training today does is allows you to continue to do those activities much longer and later in life at a much lower risk of injury. Waiting until you are older to begin training is like going to the gas station after you've run out of gas.

Two resources I would encourage everyone to use and explore are "pubmed" and" up to date". Both publish peer reviews studies based on actual science by experts that aren't getting paid for their opinion.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Strength is specific. In order to become physically stronger in a meaningful way you need to train specifically. Running or other forms of endurance training are antagonistic to the building and retention of muscle mass. There are plenty of ways to get stronger, rarely are any of them bad. Finding the way that is going to build long term adherence to a program is more important than the implement used. I like a barbell because it is the most efficient way to get whole body strong, doesn't require a huge time commitment and has a very short learning curve.

Cardio improvements are very quick and lasting and do not need much more than normal life activities (provided a person is meeting the minimum guidelines for being physically active) or sport specific practice/activity. People are conditioned to believe that more is better and necessary when it comes to cardio. The truth is that activities that make you tired and sweaty offer very little lasting benefit or much of any benefit at all above your day to day cardio requirements. Excess cardio has almost zero benefits for weightloss or cardiac risk factors...things like cholesterol levels, blood pressure, heart health, plaque etc. The popular cardio fads...Zumba, cardio kick boxing, spinning/cycle studios, and now the home versions like Peloton all have very low adherence because they don't really do anything. The short term benefit is real for a sedentary person but beyond a couple weeks ..that's it.

If you surf regularly you are way beyond the minimum activity level for good physical health and you are getting plenty of both anaerobic and aerobic activity.

What strength training today does is allows you to continue to do those activities much longer and later in life at a much lower risk of injury. Waiting until you are older to begin training is like going to the gas station after you've run out of gas.

Two resources I would encourage everyone to use and explore are "pubmed" and" up to date". Both publish peer reviews studies based on actual science by experts that aren't getting paid for their opinion.
Agreed with this, however wouldn't cardio have a leg up for lung capacity and cardio stamina?