Can we talk about calisthenics?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I only say that because the guy is saying people say "Do you lift weights? Do you take steroid."

His answer should be "No, I'm a genetic freak."

I hate people with good genetics. :cursing:

Reactions: hal9000

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've already posted this and most of you following these threads already know more than I do about exercise, but I'll share again.

This was the part I thought affirms bodyweight exercises-

"The number of repetitions can be adjusted for individual preference, provided the body is being challenged. A recent study comparing low-weight, high-repetition sets with high-weight, low-repetition sets found that both were equally effective at increasing muscle strength and size. The key to achieving increases in strength and muscle integrity seems to be taking a specific exercise to volitional failure (as many reps as possible with proper technique), regardless of the weight, and maintaining similar volumes in training (Lasevicius et al. 2018)."

I think the barbell guys go for low rep/high weight because it is more efficient- you get more done in less time. The low weight/high rep path takes a long time to reach "volitional failure."

I know VM said he does not recommend going to failure. I also remember him recommending 3 sets of 25 overhead presses.

Also, Dr. Sullivan says at some point that older athletes are volume sensitive. Which contradicts other things I've read saying older trainees should avoid heavier weights.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've already posted this and most of you following these threads already know more than I do about exercise, but I'll share again.

This was the part I thought affirms bodyweight exercises-

"The number of repetitions can be adjusted for individual preference, provided the body is being challenged. A recent study comparing low-weight, high-repetition sets with high-weight, low-repetition sets found that both were equally effective at increasing muscle strength and size. The key to achieving increases in strength and muscle integrity seems to be taking a specific exercise to volitional failure (as many reps as possible with proper technique), regardless of the weight, and maintaining similar volumes in training (Lasevicius et al. 2018)."

I think the barbell guys go for low rep/high weight because it is more efficient- you get more done in less time. The low weight/high rep path takes a long time to reach "volitional failure."

I know VM said he does not recommend going to failure. I also remember him recommending 3 sets of 25 overhead presses.

Also, Dr. Sullivan says at some point that older athletes are volume sensitive. Which contradicts other things I've read saying older trainees should avoid heavier weights.
There isn't any reason for older trainees to avoid heavy weights. There is a reason for an untrained person..young or old to avoid heavy weights.

I don't recommend going to failure during regular training. It's unnecessary and if you look at the adaptation benefit, the peak is somewhere around 80% of failure and decreases rapidly from there.. Exposure to higher than 80% is important for familiarity with weights that are inside your overall goal but the value of the training stress at or close to failure is limited..

I wouldn't recommend older trainees (or anyone who is just focussed on getting stronger) to do high reps to failure. There's an injury risk there and as we age we take much longer to recover.

Everyone responded to training differently. Depending on your goals a good coach will put together a program and continue to evaluate progress and make course changes as needed. Most often it's a minor tweak here and there.

If your goal is to just have big muscles and look ripped just do steroids. There's no health benefits to having excess muscle tissue and low body fat so if you're not concerned about overall health and injury prevention steroids is the best bang for your buck. I would recommend cycles of tren and testosterone.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Being "Volume-sensitive" is not the same thing as needing to avoid heavier weights. Volume is sets x reps x weight. As you age, you can't tolerate as much volume as when you were young. The "heaviness" of the weight roughly means that you will do fewer reps in the set. How many sets you do affects the volume. If you are older, you will likely do fewer sets for a given "heaviness." Does this make sense?

Reactions: santacruzin

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Being "Volume-sensitive" is not the same thing as needing to avoid heavier weights. Volume is sets x reps x weight. As you age, you can't tolerate as much volume as when you were young. The "heaviness" of the weight roughly means that you will do fewer reps in the set. How many sets you do affects the volume. If you are older, you will likely do fewer sets for a given "heaviness." Does this make sense?
Exactly.

At 54 I do a squat variation 3 times a week. Last week that equated to 36 working reps at different resistance which are adjusted via RPE.

I guy I train with from time to time is in his late 60's. He only squats once per week with a total of 10 reps. One heavy set of 5 and one backoff set of 5. It's enough to preserve strength and not leave him fatigued because he's at the point that his ability to recover is compromised by aging.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
No lack of junk science in strength and conditioning.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My press is stalled on The Bridge. Everything else keeps going up.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
well aware everyone thinks their method is the only way to do things or best.
:roflmao:
OH press is tough for me due to major injuries face planting a reef years back.
One overlooked aspect of physical therapy and rehab is fear avoidance. Knowing how to address fear avoidance beliefs and change them to hedge towards a positive outcome. Therapists and practitioners need to help people remove the stimulus causing them pain and help them realize they are capable of more than what they think they are. Instead many therapists and physicians get hung up on the actual diagnosis, things that sound extremely serious like shoulder impingement or slipped disc, when neither of these are relevant medical terms or even descriptive of an actual condition. These scary diagnosis don't change the treatment but do perpetuate anxiety in the patient. I hate knowing there are people out there who practice imaginary physical limitations when the likelihood is they can get better with a simple reckoning.

I don't think one way is best and am aware that but a small fraction of the population will ever strictly press their bodyweight overhead...or for it to be even necessary. BUT...in order to make that happen you will have thicker shoulders, chest, arms, back and abs than you could have imagined. As long as you're not a fat slob the definition is fantastic. Plus the bigger your shoulders and yoke are the more you can get away with in the midsection. I do however agree that a person capable of doing 30 consecutive strict pull-ups would have to have a strength to weight ratio that would lend itself to a body shape that is appealing to the eye.