Can we talk about Amy Coney Barrett's ties to hate groups?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
As for supporting the rights of the alphabet people, I just want equal opportunity for everyone and I have no aversion to gay stuff.

It is my contention that most anti-gay sentiment stems from an unhealthy sense of ones own sexuality.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Why is stating the facts "smearing"?

I don't get it.

Do you think it's okay that she was on a hate group payroll?
Because it is an agenda driven piece and not an evenhanded recounting of facts.

From your article:

"In 2017, during a confirmation hearing for her federal court position, senators questioned Barrett about her paid position as a speaker at a training program for Christian law school students, called the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, which is run by ADF. She was paid five times by the group, starting in 2011.

Barrett said in that hearing that she knew of the program through colleagues who taught for it and students who participated, and she did not initially know it was run by ADF.

“I’m invited to give a lot of talks as a law professor. I don’t know what all of ADF’s policy positions are, and it has not been my practice to investigate all of the policy positions of a group that invites me to speak,” Barrett told the then Democratic senator Al Franken.

At the time, ADF was co-counsel on a supreme court lawsuit alongside WilmerHale, a respected law firm.

“They wouldn’t be co-counsel with ADF if it were a hate group. I assure you they wouldn’t be co-counsel with the KKK,” Barrett said."

Also, the SPLC says they didn't classify ADF as a hate group until 2016, which is apparently after the judge finished her summer lectures for the Blackstone Legal Fellowship. I'm not sure why the Guardian didn't include that bit, seems pretty relevant if you are being an honest and competent journalist.

And the SPLC has definitely taken hits for essentially becoming a partisan advocacy group instead of a bipartisan organization that is focused on tracking and countering hate groups. They aren't what they were in the 80s-90s.

So to summarize, the Guardian is citing a left leaning group that declared the ADF to be a hate group most likely after the judge finished giving lectures there. I think I read she was paid for 5 lectures?

Bear in mind I'm not advocating that she must be confirmed. I'm surprised that Trump chose someone that's only been a judge for 3 years, which I think is a much bigger concern for someone getting nominated to be a Supreme Court Justic.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Because it is an agenda driven piece and not an evenhanded recounting of facts.

From your article:

"In 2017, during a confirmation hearing for her federal court position, senators questioned Barrett about her paid position as a speaker at a training program for Christian law school students, called the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, which is run by ADF. She was paid five times by the group, starting in 2011.

Barrett said in that hearing that she knew of the program through colleagues who taught for it and students who participated, and she did not initially know it was run by ADF.

“I’m invited to give a lot of talks as a law professor. I don’t know what all of ADF’s policy positions are, and it has not been my practice to investigate all of the policy positions of a group that invites me to speak,” Barrett told the then Democratic senator Al Franken.

At the time, ADF was co-counsel on a supreme court lawsuit alongside WilmerHale, a respected law firm.

“They wouldn’t be co-counsel with ADF if it were a hate group. I assure you they wouldn’t be co-counsel with the KKK,” Barrett said."

Also, the SPLC says they didn't classify ADF as a hate group until 2016, which is apparently after the judge finished her summer lectures for the Blackstone Legal Fellowship. I'm not sure why the Guardian didn't include that bit, seems pretty relevant if you are being an honest and competent journalist.

And the SPLC has definitely taken hits for essentially becoming a partisan advocacy group instead of a bipartisan organization that is focused on tracking and countering hate groups. They aren't what they were in the 80s-90s.

So to summarize, the Guardian is citing a left leaning group that declared the ADF to be a hate group most likely after the judge finished giving lectures there. I think I read she was paid for 5 lectures?

Bear in mind I'm not advocating that she must be confirmed. I'm surprised that Trump chose someone that's only been a judge for 3 years, which I think is a much bigger concern for someone getting nominated to be a Supreme Court Justic.
So let's forget about the Guardian and SPLC, my bad for confusing your guys with it. I don't know why is any of it relevant but okay.

What is ADF according to you?

A group that equates gay people to pedos and wants to ban them from adopting, fights against equal marriage rights and wants to reintroduce sodomy laws?

Are those not facts?

Is the fact that ACB got paid by ADF not a fact?

Is the fact that ADF guy was at the WH nomination ceremony not a fact?

You need to look up word "smear" in the dictionary.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
the ADF has helped to criminalize homosexuality in other countries

that's a fact, regardless of the SPLC designation

it's interesting that you'd spend cycles defending the ADF on some technicality
of credibility given your very strong historical positions supporting LGBTQ rights
It's my bad for quoting SPLC.

Should have known that feeble minds will latch onto the sources and not want to discuss actual matter.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
So let's forget about the Guardian and SPLC, my bad for confusing your guys with it. I don't know why is any of it relevant but okay.

What is ADF according to you?

A group that equates gay people to pedos and wants to ban them from adopting, fights against equal marriage rights and wants to reintroduce sodomy laws?

Are those not facts?

Is the fact that ACB got paid by ADF not a fact?

Is the fact that ADF guy was at the WH nomination ceremony not a fact?

You need to look up word "smear" in the dictionary.
The smear is when one tries to associate a person with a group despite credible evidence. She gave 5 lectures at a summer law series for students and didn't know it was sponsored by ADF, at least initially. This seems like a big bunch of grasping at straws to me.

I haven't seen evidence that she supports ADF. Nor have I seen evidence that she says she'll let her personal beliefs guide her actions as a judge. She's explicitly said she doesn't work that way.

I'm sure there are critiques about her actual rulings out there, which I think would be far more relevant. Despite the fact she's only had three years to establish a track record, which I think is the weakest link in her nomination.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Despite the fact she's only had three years to establish a track record, which I think is the weakest link in her nomination.
This to me is the most obvious sign the Right is CRAY CRAY CRAY!

The best thing Mitch could do for the country is pick an experience moderate right of center judge.

But they don't care.

They are going to be victim of their own hubris and success. And they will take the country down with them.

What trip that the GOP people got covid.

Trump and the senators could still get really sick.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The smear is when one tries to associate a person with a group despite credible evidence. She gave 5 lectures at a summer law series for students and didn't know it was sponsored by ADF, at least initially. This seems like a big bunch of grasping at straws to me.
Accepting a payment from a hate group 5 fucking times and speaking at their events is not a sign of association with the group?

Let's say that in your fantasy scenario she's not sharing the ADF worldview, what does the fact that ADF paid her big bucks to speak at their events say about her?

It's like when David Duke and Richard Spencer endorsed Trump for no reason whatsoever.

Smear, lol.

Reactions: afoaf and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Accepting a payment from a hate group 5 fucking times and speaking at their events is not a sign of association with the group?

Let's say that in your fantasy scenario she's not sharing the ADF worldview, what does the fact that ADF paid her big bucks to speak at their events say about her?

It's like when David Duke and Richard Spencer endorsed Trump for no reason whatsoever.

Smear, lol.
The janitor is a centrist who exclusively attacks the left and defends the right.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The janitor is a centrist who exclusively attacks the left and defends the right.
It's contrarianism, I get it, we all do it but holy sh!t, it's really puzzling the battles people choose to engage in.

This is something we should all agree on, except maybe Doug Von Coat Meister and GrossDad.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

Smear, lol.
Again, apparently she didn't know that the group hosting the lectures was connected to ADF - which at that point had not been called a hate group by anyone as far as I can tell.

I also haven't seen any articles talking about how much she was paid, how much was it?

From what I've seen she's a fairly garden variety conservative Catholic. That apparently adopted two kids from Haiti. Which as you know is what most far right hate groupers would do.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Do you have a credible source documenting the “fact” that they helped criminalize the gay?
instead of arguing some stupid non sequitur you could have taken 10 seconds to look in to it yourself...

if you actually cared, that is.

ADF CEO at the nomination ceremony...what a coincidence!

1602020978604.png

ADF argued in court for the criminalization of homosexuality in a pair of briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas. They have also repeatedly supported anti-sodomy laws in numerous countries.
ADF has led a multi-faceted campaign to allow businesses to discriminate against LGBT people through religious exemptions. They suggest that business owners who want to discriminate should use religious freedom as an excuse by adding religious duties to routine jobs.
An ADF media reference guide suggested referring to sexual orientation as a “sexual preference” or “choice.” The same guide recommended referring to gender identity as a type of “confusion” and calling transgender people “sexually confused.” ADF’s founder Alan Sears called LGBTQ people “intrinsically disordered” in his 2003 book, which was recommended reading for ADF’s Blackstone Legal Fellowship as recently as 2015.
ADF published a handbook that equates LGBT people with those who commit incest and bestiality.

And they provided ADF provided legal guidance to churches and schools on how to avoid getting sued for discrimination against LGBT people.
ADF defended laws that would require transgender Europeans to be sterilized in order to update identification documents.

In the European Court of Human Rights, ADF opposed a court ruling overturning the requirement that transgender citizens must be sterilized when seeking to update names and genders on driver licenses.
the list goes on....

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand