Can someone explain the “Jesus died for our sins”

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
No.

I just posted it for all those have been victimized here, so they can be better prepared next time.
Nobody is victimized by the idiotic gaslighting attempts here (TDS, any day now) just shows how intellectually bankrupt the gaslighter is

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Applicable how, exactly?
You said:

I’ll bet we can find plenty of examples of 20th Century America fighting in the name, and with the support, of God.

I told you beware the availability cascade.

We can find plenty of examples of most things in the internet era, especially when more than 200 million American identify as Christians.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No.

I just posted it for all those have been victimized here, so they can be better prepared next time.
So for gaslighting to be a thing, it's the response to the behavour and not the behavour of the abuser.

If that is true then I guess it's not gaslighiting.

I wonder what they call the behavior of the person trying to trigger a gaslight response.

It's just baiting with mischaracterization?

Or covert aggression?

Gaslightin is less words than mischaracterization.

But I will use "mischaracterization" to avoid upsetting any of our more sensitive posters.

Fun stuff!

• Haha
Reactions: sirfun

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You said:

I’ll bet we can find plenty of examples of 20th Century America fighting in the name, and with the support, of God.

I told you beware the availability cascade.

We can find plenty of examples of most things in the internet era, especially when more than 200 million American identify as Christians.
That’s not what the availability cascade is. That evidence is available does not mean it’s self-reinforcing/perpetuating.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No, that's not what gaslighting is about.

But I see why you think that - people have been making up their own definitions, or taking one small aspect of gaslighting and applying it as the term itself.
:toilet:
This is an example of you baiting with mischaracterization.

Not gaslighting!:dancing:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Take off your big girl panties, gird up your loins and either make an argument or don't. This gas lighting claim sh!t just makes the claimer look pathetically weak. I get it if you're a 19 year old girl in an abusive relationship. But for a bunch of middle aged/older men arguing about politics on a surfer magazine forum? Fvcking please. You're just not that fragile. And if I'm wrong with that, you seriously need to get the fvck off the internet, take a Xanax, get out your favorite blankee and cry yourself to sleep. This is not a good place for you.

And "baiting with mischaracterization." :roflmao:

That's most of what this place is about. If you took that out of the erBB politics forum there would be precious little left. Most of the time when someone makes that accusation they're doing the very same thing within a paragraph. Throwing down psychobabble (<-- for Auto. He loves that term ;)) hanging a label and running makes you look weak and stupid.

You gaslighting, label hanging turds who bait with mischaracterization are lame.

Gotta go. :dancing:

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Take off your big girl panties, gird up your loins and either make an argument or don't. This gas lighting claim sh!t just makes the claimer look pathetically weak. I get it if you're a 19 year old girl in an abusive relationship. But for a bunch of middle aged/older men arguing about politics on a surfer magazine forum? Fvcking please. You're just not that fragile. And if I'm wrong with that, you seriously need to get the fvvk off the internet, take a Xanax, get out your favorite blankee and cry yourself to sleep. This is not a good place for you.

And "baiting with mischaracterization." :roflmao:

That's most of what this place is about. If you took that out of the erBB politics forum there would be precious little left. Most of the time when someone makes that accusation they're doing the very same thing within a paragraph. Throwing down psychobabble (<-- for Auto. He loves that term ;)) hanging a label and running makes you look weak and stupid.

You gaslighting, label hanging turds who bait with mischaracterization are lame.

Gotta go. :dancing:
This kind of feels like gaslighting

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
It's part of a bigger idea that helps humans reconcile our animal nature with social constraints and our consciousness.

It's a way of managing animal impulses and the awareness that our exsistense is finite.

That is a fucking tall order.

It works for many people.

Others not so much.

But people are different.
I think about it every now and then and I’m amazed at how many people it works on, even on some of the most scientific minded people I know.

But then here are things in life that happen, and people go through some tragedies, where it seems like turning to religion is the only way to move on, accept, or find peace

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That's because you're misusing the term "gaslighting." As psychologists keep telling us.

Nobody misused the term narcissism when describing Trump.

"Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical diagnosis that can involve characteristics such as an exaggerated sense of talent and self-importance; fantasies of power and beauty; a tendency to take advantage of others; and a deep need for attention and admiration. It can also manifest as an inability to cope with criticism, and it’s most commonly diagnosed in men, Tenaglia says. Treatment typically consists of talk therapy and, in some situations, medication."

And one of narcissist's main methods of ensuring regular narcissistic supply, is gaslighting.

It seems to me that you like to accuse people if misusing terms when you don't like what they're saying.
a.k.a. gaslight

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So for gaslighting to be a thing, it's the response to the behavour and not the behavour of the abuser.

If that is true then I guess it's not gaslighiting.

I wonder what they call the behavior of the person trying to trigger a gaslight response.

It's just baiting with mischaracterization?

Or covert aggression?

Gaslightin is less words than mischaracterization.

But I will use "mischaracterization" to avoid upsetting any of our more sensitive posters.

Fun stuff!
No.

It's not that difficult.

Mischaracterization is mischaracterization.

Gaslighting is a collection of tactics used to control or manipulate an individual or group on an ongoing basis, pretty much always in a close familial or romantic relationship setting that is important to the victim(s). Stuff like shifting blame, using "love" as an excuse for their reasoning, intentionally setting a person up for failure, giving false praise etc. They could mischaracterize too, if they felt it served a purpose in their plan. But gaslighting is abuse, it fucks up the people who fall victim to it emotionally along with their other relationships.

If you had a family member or close friend that was falling victim to gaslighting you would try to warn them what was up because it can destroy their life.

It's a lot more than a straw man argument made on the erBB politics forum.:socrazy::socrazy::socrazy:

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No.

It's not that difficult.

Mischaracterization is mischaracterization.

Gaslighting is a collection of tactics used to control or manipulate an individual or group on an ongoing basis, pretty much always in a close familial or romantic relationship setting that is important to the victim(s). Stuff like shifting blame, using "love" as an excuse for their reasoning, intentionally setting a person up for failure, giving false praise etc. They could mischaracterize too, if they felt it served a purpose in their plan. But gaslighting is abuse, it fucks up the people who fall victim to it emotionally along with their other relationships.

If you had a family member or close friend that was falling victim to gaslighting you would try to warn them what was up because it can destroy their life.

It's a lot more than a straw man argument made on the erBB politics forum.:socrazy::socrazy::socrazy:
I was not using gaslighting in the clinical sense.

I was using the term figuratively to mean the person is baiting with mischaracterization.

"shifting blame, using "love" as an excuse for their reasoning, intentionally setting a person up for failure, giving false praise" are all forms of mischaracterizing.

So by using gaslighting interchangeably with mischaracteraztion I was using metonymy.

I know trying to clarify is not going to change anything