Can Laird Hamilton paddle surf?

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
The last time I saw Laird paddle into a wave was in that 1994 movie "Endless Summer II." After that all I ever saw of him was tow surfing Jaws or SUP surfing other places. He was selling a non-dairy coffee creamer that has a picture of him SUP surfing. Did he lose his pop up? Is SUP for people who lost their pop up? I think it is for most surfers.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Dunno. But he walks like he has the hips of an 80-yr old. Amazing he can do any of the stuff and train as hard as he does. He rides one of those stand-up elliptical bikes around the Malibu hills and does a lot of pool training- seems mostly low impact on his joints.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Laird had hip replacement. He told Rogan he was awake during surgery without anesthesia.

He said 75% of human bones are below the ankle. I never dreamed he had so many injuries. I better take it easier when I jog 2 miles almost every day. I'm 9 years older than Laird. The only surgery I ever had was both rotator cuffs. I tore my right trimming hedges in my yard, and I tore my left replacing a ceiling light fixture. Both are good as new. No problem paddling. I had stitches below my eye where my board's tail punched me.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Not everyone can age like Michael Ho.
Aging like Mike Ho is my goal. Got to push myself in some Hawaii like waves in the Carribean a few weeks ago. Its a lot easier to age in surfing if you're in the tropics than in the NorthEast. Today's the first day I've felt any motivation to put a 5 mil on and paddle out since returning to my cold reality at home.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I'm not a Laird fan or a SUP fan, but the way he surfs those things is impressive to see. Last time I crossed paths with him in the water he was pumping down the line on a 8 foot long, 3 inch+ thick SUP like a b-grade pro surfing knee high Virginia Beach with qualification on the line. He was generating a sh!t-ton of speed, but the trippiest thing was the sound the giant board was making when it slapped the water while he was pumping like that. So loud. Never seen anyone else come close to whipping one of those things around like that.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I saw his "superfood" creamer a Costco the other day. I wonder how much bank he is making? That is big time exposure.

I've seen him a couple times foiling at an LA County point break. He is on another level, literally on a different playing field. I didn't mind at all because he was not anywhere near where paddle surfers were taking off. I was impressed.

As far as aging like Mike Ho, I think a lot of that is genetics. Being one of my adolescent heroes, I can compare him to Bertlemann who had different outcomes. I wonder what Uncle Mike's lifestyle (diet and substance use) and training regimen are like...or if he just surfs.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
His superspooge coffee creamer has gotten pretty big-time distribution the past couple years: Whole Foods, sprouts, etc. I think even Vons. I think I read they got a big round of VC capital last year. I’m sure He and Gaby have done well with their endorsements over the years but are gonna be super rich when they inevitably sell to General Mills or some giant food corp.
The coconut creamer is tasty but has a lot of saturated fat. I use the OatMac version now.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
His superspooge coffee creamer has gotten pretty big-time distribution the past couple years: Whole Foods, sprouts, etc. I think even Vons. I think I read they got a big round of VC capital last year. I’m sure He and Gaby have done well with their endorsements over the years but are gonna be super rich when they inevitably sell to General Mills or some giant food corp.
The coconut creamer is tasty but has a lot of saturated fat. I use the OatMac version now.
Creamer or any thing else in coffee is like using a oar and boat to surf or sk8 with a surf sk8:shameonyou: