Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Macadamia nuts work great, the sweetness also cuts some of the bite of the basil

I hardly ever eat pasta anymore but i have always loved pesto. love it on a caprese stack

Reactions: sussle

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Cilantro pesto, parsley pesto, basil pesto....all great, and yes, understand that 'pesto' is not perfect to use for at least two of these, but so what?

When I make these, I tend to keep it as simple as possible: olive oil, little salt and pepper, the greens. Other stuff I add as the situation calls (for maximum versatility)..though I do make most of the basil pesto with oil, garlic, handful of walnuts, salt and pepper, and some red pepper flakes (because it is good to not have to work too hard at times).
my plan this year was to grow parsley and make a bunch of chimichurri but i think my seeds were old and none of them sprouted.

I also love egg salad with lots of parsley.

oh well, the stuff is fairly cheap.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
My wife makes a pretty good chimichurri. Although, I just ate at an Argentinian restaurant in CR that had the best chimichurri I've ever tasted.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Mildew by another name = white mold

Potassium bicarbonate (not potassium chloride!) is better. Get it from brewer supply store. Like a teaspoon to two gallons, might be wrong, look it up. Need to spray on leaves/affected parts.

Oils on leaves is generally no good as it will burn the leaves or clog their stomata.
Rosemary oil(10%)+h20(90%) spray worked great after 2 treatments about 24 hours apart.

Reactions: Mr Doof

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
saw some mention of bonsai trees somewhere in this thread. Anyone have much experience? I've been wanting to take it up as a hobby for years and just picked up a small Chinese Elm. If anyone has any good beginner resources(I've watched a zillion YT videos already), I'd appreciate a link.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
saw some mention of bonsai trees somewhere in this thread. Anyone have much experience? I've been wanting to take it up as a hobby for years and just picked up a small Chinese Elm. If anyone has any good beginner resources(I've watched a zillion YT videos already), I'd appreciate a link.

Reactions: tenover

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Look for classes at a bonsai nursery or a club in your area. I take a class 1-2x/year at a place in L.A. Having those master bonsai people and real horticulturists makes a huge difference. They'll guide you with pruning, wiring etc, and can identify and fix problems with your plant if there are any. The group setting also seems to be better than videos and books.

Reactions: Aruka and tenover

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Love me radish speacilly picante:cheers:
They've never been something I felt strongly about one way or another until a few years ago when my lady planted a little bed of them. Now they're somewhat of a staple. I really like them on my salads but I need to figure out some other uses because we have a ton of them that are ready for harvest.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They've never been something I felt strongly about one way or another until a few years ago when my lady planted a little bed of them. Now they're somewhat of a staple. I really like them on my salads but I need to figure out some other uses because we have a ton of them that are ready for harvest.
I just like to snack on em with carrots and cucumbers raw but used to use them on veggie burritos :shaka:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Once made roasted radish with garlic as a side for some pasta....am sure there is a fancy recipe on the tubes of the super information highway. Was good and all, but think I like them best raw, cut in in half with a dash of sea salt. Tasty snack.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Once made roasted radish with garlic as a side for some pasta....am sure there is a fancy recipe on the tubes of the super information highway. Was good and all, but think I like them best raw, cut in in half with a dash of sea salt. Tasty snack.
yeah i think i'm gonna try to make some kind of simple spicy pickled radish thing. i don't want to lose the crunch.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
yeah i think i'm gonna try to make some kind of simple spicy pickled radish thing. i don't want to lose the crunch.
Excellent. Try looking for a giardiniera recipe. Guy from work who grew up on Chesapeake Bay gives out a quart to his friends around October. "Its great for using up less than perfect looking veggies". Already hoping I am on the list for this year.

Hope the color doesn't fade when the radishes are prepared.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
In CR make spicy pickled vwggies to add to meal seen at any soda worth eating at. Glass jar: fill 1/4 way white vinegar, cup or so warm water, add mostly hard veggies ie: carrots, califlower, garlic, onions, never seen it but think radish would really shine. Then add 3x"taste" hot chile: haberno, manzana, cr use Panama :cheers: