Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Spent some time this weekend building a couple metal boxes and bought some wine barrels for more fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, and bee attractors in the boxes, Bartlett dwarf, Bartlett espalier, columnar apple, and 3 way grafted Macintosh, Granny Smith, Braeburn apple in the barrels. Didn't get everything placed until this evening and still need to grab some soil this week for the barrels, but already had some bees doing their thing on some fresh blossoms, stocked. Probably pound some fence stakes and run some metal wire for the espalier limbs to grow in to at some point.

Last pic is the first signs of life from the Pt Bonita cabbage seeds. Fingers crossed, Doof!

View attachment 107766View attachment 107767View attachment 107768View attachment 107769
How does/did the cabbage go?

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
How does/did the cabbage go?
Complete fail.

Within the span of two work trips the cabbage moths decimated every brassica in the garden. I pulled em and am regrouping for war next season. Never bring a tennis racquet to an insect fight (if organic pest control is mandated)

I'll set something like this up:

cabbage netting.jpeg

How'd your patch go? Kimchi looked promising. Seems like that variety is prone to bolting quickly.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
that is exactly how I handled a thrip infestation. Tented the plant and lacewings and ladybugs went to town.
I like it. Secure the perimeter and send in the ground troops. Effective way to keep the lady bugs in as well. Every time I've tried em in the past they either fled or became a sparrow and finch buffet, immediately.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
where can I get these big bag planters? I'm going to do two big ones for tomatoes next year

I hit my stride this year and am getting some 6, 7, and 8 ounce fat bois off the vines

this week is going to be a big one

I started mailing them to my family! early christmas, bitches

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
How'd your patch go? Kimchi looked promising. Seems like that variety is prone to bolting quickly.
Grew 4 plants. made 6 quarts of kimchi with one plant...have one quart left, gave three away, discovered wife not a fan of kimchi.

Cabbage moth population really bloomed this summer.

Chilled cabbage with soy sauce turns out to be a decent snack and is just as good when pan fried with a bit of crumbled crispy bacon, onion, garlic, and chicken.

Still have one plant left (well, two more just sprouted for the overwintering harvest plan) that I guess will get used one way or another. I may be getting tired of cabbage.

Collected a few more seeds for you. Will send soon.

PS
Ginger is flowering...these flower about a week or two after the naked ladies lilies and are indicator for surfing to start to pick up:

1631654651921.png

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Looks alot like fall around here.
Not as impressive as some of you guys, but not bad for the first plant I've grown in over 30 years.
Humbolt Pound Cake.
IMG_0838.jpg

Reactions: santacruzin

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The white dots, tricomes (?), these are the best indicator to know when to pick/harvest?

If so and understanding that different varieties probably have different tricomes, what is the general rule for knowing when to pick/harvest for maximum, uh, maximum highness? Do they change color or start to flake off or what?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
The white dots, tricomes (?), these are the best indicator to know when to pick/harvest?

If so and understanding that different varieties probably have different tricomes, what is the general rule for knowing when to pick/harvest for maximum, uh, maximum highness? Do they change color or start to flake off or what?
Yes. You want to use a handheld microscope to view the trichome heads.They go from clear to milky to amber.
All clear is not done, all amber is overdone.

Different points in between give different effects.70% milky and 30% amber is a ratio a lot of growers like. For me it depends on the strain and other factors.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yes. You want to use a handheld microscope to view the trichome heads.They go from clear to milky to amber.
All clear is not done, all amber is overdone.

Different points in between give different effects.70% milky and 30% amber is a ratio a lot of growers like. For me it depends on the strain and other factors.

My handheld microscope of choice for the task, 70x uv light incorporated, clear light too.

Currency microscopes do a great job.