Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Pulled a fckton of weeds this morning. Planted a bed of potatoes. A long row of snow peas. Harvested some overwintering carrots. First time trying for spring carrots. They came out sweet and crunchy. Definitely a rad way to go. I think I watered them a couple times in the fall and that's it. I wish I'd kept the seed pack so I could remember the variety. I also harvested a bunch of purple tree collards and cut and planted more clones off the plants to further thicken my tree collard forest. Stocked to get some sun and get my hands dirty.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bought a buck and two doe Rex rabbits. Built a rabbit tractor. Planted 3 apple trees for a fruit wall. I'm going to water them with these. Planted potatoes in contractor bags with a rope wick. Going to try Kratky hydroponics for greens and root crops. (this guy is a genius):
See also this:

Lots of coyotes in our neighborhood. Going to get this Dakota Alert passive IR system and try to pin some.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Trying for the umpteenth time at Nana trees.

20210228_081205.jpg

Mango and Lemon have serious issues.

Orange going great, first "orange buds" this year... Kalima fried them right off, but the tree is still going strong.

Just spent some time this past week manually trimming our date palm. Hard work, but worth the results.

20210228_081129.jpg

Olive tree is CRAZY loaded with flower starts, desert wind should scorch that soon too.

20210228_085543.jpg

Last edited:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Bought a buck and two doe Rex rabbits. Built a rabbit tractor. Planted 3 apple trees for a fruit wall. I'm going to water them with these. Planted potatoes in contractor bags with a rope wick. Going to try Kratky hydroponics for greens and root crops. (this guy is a genius):
The deep drip is too expensive. Just make your own out of PVC or even plastic water bottles. I think they work better for shrubs, vegetable don't have roots that deep.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The deep drip is too expensive. Just make your own out of PVC or even plastic water bottles. I think they work better for shrubs, vegetable don't have roots that deep.
Yep. I wouldn't buy them again. Details are in here:
The original paper that went into the book:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

View attachment 105773
Bananas need humidity and protection from intense light....those big leaves lose a lot of H2O and don't do great in low humidity wind. You're doing it right with the green cover, now just keep on stacking yard waste/clippings/compost on the ground to build up the soil and retain whatever moisture you can.

PS
No grapevine? Table grapes are yummy, and if you get too many, raisins!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bananas need humidity and protection from intense light....those big leaves lose a lot of H2O and don't do great in low humidity wind. You're doing it right with the green cover, now just keep on stacking yard waste/clippings/compost on the ground to build up the soil and retain whatever moisture you can.

PS
I wanna try taro in SoCal in a "pot- in-pot - in-pot" system like Dr. Kratky showed on his YOuTube page. Same sort of deal I guess? Arrowroot seems to be native to CA and be pretty similar but needs to be ground with a food mill.

I tried jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes one year and they were hardy but gross.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Does anyone know why Home Depot won't ship you a taro plant in California and why they won't sell them in stores?
1616794571538.png

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I ate collards in my egg scramble for breakfast and snacked on my sugar peas for lunch

maybe I'll get that trifecta when the tomatoes come in

all my plants are happy...I have an idea to do three more tomatoes in a sort of hackneyed
hanging wall setup on the outside of a fence line that gets good sun.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

PS

grapes! hadn't thought of them... they are what's needed! shade, fruit, better the terroir. thanks for the belated heads up Mista Doof! and thanks to whoever bumped the thread so i noticed.

Reactions: Rlacey111

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
We just bought a house and moved across town. Had to say goodbye for now to the greenhouse, planter beds, berry patches, herb garden, and fruit trees we'd been cultivating for the last 15 years. Bittersweet in that regard, but renters of the old place are greenthumbs and appreciative of the garden. Stocked it'll pay dividends for them and remain.

Took a break today from the endless work on the new place to spend an afternoon out front breaking ground on a new garden set up. Few things sweeter smelling and more satisfying than brand new cedar planter boxes. Way better than working on tear out, windows, painting, flooring, baseboard, appliance switch out, and roof repair etc.

Box 1 - rainbow chard, artichoke, Quinalt Strawberry, Mt Hood Strawberry, Pt. Bonita Cabbage seeds
Box 2 - pole beans (probably just tie twine to the back fence to let em creep) lettuce, bok choy, couple carrot seed varieties
Box 3 - rosemary, lemon thyme, sage, parsley, oregano, Walla Walla onions, basil seeds (I'll be shocked if they do sh!t until May)

Huge shout out once again to Mr Doof who collected the Bonita seeds. I had started 6 indoors and they were doing well, but got trashed and neglected in the move. Every garden should have an experiment and this years is the seeds just planted.
box build.jpg

boxes planted.jpg
bonita.jpg

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Spent some time this weekend building a couple metal boxes and bought some wine barrels for more fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, and bee attractors in the boxes, Bartlett dwarf, Bartlett espalier, columnar apple, and 3 way grafted Macintosh, Granny Smith, Braeburn apple in the barrels. Didn't get everything placed until this evening and still need to grab some soil this week for the barrels, but already had some bees doing their thing on some fresh blossoms, stocked. Probably pound some fence stakes and run some metal wire for the espalier limbs to grow in to at some point.

Last pic is the first signs of life from the Pt Bonita cabbage seeds. Fingers crossed, Doof!

IMG_2350.jpgIMG_2352.jpgIMG_2351.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2355.jpg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

View attachment 105773

Mango and Lemon have serious issues.

Orange going great, first "orange buds" this year... Kalima fried them right off, but the tree is still going strong.

Just spent some time this past week manually trimming our date palm. Hard work, but worth the results.

View attachment 105771

Olive tree is CRAZY loaded with flower starts, desert wind should scorch that soon too.

View attachment 105772
Damn that wall and gate is baller yo!

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Planted potatoes in contractor bags with a rope wick.
i'm trying vertical potato towers for the first time.... i already see a couple disadvantages. i simply ran out of horizontal space to rotate them into this year and decided to try vertical. we'll see how it comes out. will have to research your technique.

IMG_20210412_123300949_HDR.jpg

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Last pic is the first signs of life from the Pt Bonita cabbage seeds. Fingers crossed, Doof!
View attachment 107769
I just mailed an old friend in Seattle some of those seeds I had left over. She'll be planting them this weekend (hopefully).

I'll take some photos of the ones I started in November 2020 and post them later.

Time to start figuring out what to do with all the cabbage....anyone got a good kimchi recipe?

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Does anyone know why Home Depot won't ship you a taro plant in California and why they won't sell them in stores?
View attachment 107060
From the Google...the California Department of Agriculture is extremely cautious about the import of live plants, which they fear could contain specific soil-borne insects that might damage agricultural crops in the state.

Reactions: Aruka