Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
nice, thanks PPK. I was wandering the yard today and they got my attention. when I looked online they were saying something like oct nov so I got concerned.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The Golden cherry tomato survived the winter! Had pruned it back in December when cleaning up the small garden patch and now it is already blooming. First time a tomato plant have over-wintered for me. By the way, next door neighbor's Black Dragon pepper (looks and tastes like a Thai pepper, except black , and maybe with more heat) survived winter as well. I more or less took care of it for them and was rewarded with a handful of peppers from them in fall (made some Hawaiian hot 'sauce' from it with onuela's recipe).

Some herbs have greened up nicely., some volunteer "spicy lettuce" seems to have migrated to the grass/clover/dichondra combo I call "the lawn", the Scottish cabbage seedlings survived the winter and appear to be going well (may spout some more), have thinned some strawberry plants (is it me, or a June bearing the tastier than the everbearing?), the transplanted blueberries are doing great (and the blueberry clones started in November have some new baby leaves), and for some reason, I have Foxglove growing everywhere, like 15 small seedlings scattered throughout the backyard (did have a two last summer, so I guess the bees were busy).

This weekend is bean and snow pea sowing time and the all important basil sowing (indoors snails/slugs are murder on basil sprouts). Also need to do another pass on cleaning up the garden patch.

Edit:
Over-wintering tomato climbing into Asian pear
1614374243332.png

Escaped spicy lettuce at lawn/patio border. Make arugula/rocket taste like iceberg lettuce.
1614374179263.png

Three blueberry clones having taken root over winter and now sending forth baby leaves with outdoor orchid beginning to bloom.
1614374210654.png

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I’m starting from the beginning this year. Pulled what I had from last year that was barely growing. Need to top off the soil. Peach tree already blooming early. Late to prune the other trees, oh well maybe I’ll just see what happens this year. Standard tomatoes, herbs, peppers, and maybe a few new things.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Parsely has survived, basil is looking shitty but alive. Swooped dill, thyme, and rosemary yesterday. The instant I took the plastic off the dill it drooped. The parsely did the same thing at first last year.

Looking to get some Tarragon, probably get another basil because this one I let grow way, way, way too tall, plus it has a pretty bad mealybug (or something) issue.

Sun exposure still kinda shitty. I figure I'm getting 3.5-4 pretty good hours right now.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - Next year there will be more!

Parsely has survived, basil is looking shitty but alive. Swooped dill, thyme, and rosemary yesterday. The instant I took the plastic off the dill it drooped. The parsely did the same thing at first last year.

Looking to get some Tarragon, probably get another basil because this one I let grow way, way, way too tall, plus it has a pretty bad mealybug (or something) issue.

Sun exposure still kinda shitty. I figure I'm getting 3.5-4 pretty good hours right now.
Maybe you need a mushroom plant (not a fungi). I have one growing in 30 sun/70 shade. The slightly crunchy leaves taste like mushrooms and go great in salads or any dish you want some green and mushroom flavor.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
With as much salt air as we have it’s a bitch to grow anything remotely delicate.

This is an Icaco
AC931721-BEE7-4CFB-A709-7F6DA8C5D92B.jpeg

The backside, the front facing the onshore salt is cooked.

My wife planted this for our son, both kids and the grandkids have their plants that give something to eat that my wife planted.

She picked the spot for the icaco, in a spot that probably has the hardest ground in 2.5 acres. And rocks. Lots of rocks.

I remember it like it was yesterday although it’s been 20 years.

My sweetheart with an 8’ breaker bar. Rendense hijo de la chingada. Ahorita verás.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Think I forgot about this thread. Good news is my young hass tree Ava (yes she has a name) produced a lot of tasty fruit! Winding down but I'm completely stocked for her.

View attachment 105687
Remember how long ago you were asking if they were ready? Takes a bloody long time.
You inspired me to walk out front. These are Nabals.
1614389683314.png

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
sweet peas are blowing up

two tomatoes made it through fall/winter and are still producing

I double down on the collard greens...loving them in everything

I got a vertical strawberry dealio for my kid for his birthday and filled it with
strawberries...fruits are starting to pop

I gotta keep the fkn mildew to a minimum this year...that was a big problem
on my tomatoes last year

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
sweet peas are blowing up

two tomatoes made it through fall/winter and are still producing

I double down on the collard greens...loving them in everything

I got a vertical strawberry dealio for my kid for his birthday and filled it with
strawberries...fruits are starting to pop

I gotta keep the fkn mildew to a minimum this year...that was a big problem
on my tomatoes last year
Green Clean works wonders

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the june gloom is where things go south for me here

I am tempted to set up a fan....I like to sniff markers

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah, you go to the opium den and take few hits; lie on the little mats and sexy Asian women with long straight jet black hair bring you cool drinks. :dancing:

Last edited: