Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my pepper plants look like idiots compared to those

I am making a jalapeno sauce that I like....

jalapeno
water
vegetable oil
salt
egg white(s)

it's weird, but creamy and packs the heat

put whole jalapenos and just enough water to blend it.

add a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil

put this in to a pot on a low flame and whip in the egg white

you can use two eggs (or more) if you are making a large batch

you're cooking it up almost like a hollandaise where the egg whites
will cream as the water temp rises

salt to taste

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Pests feed on weak plants first.

Do not overwater or over fertilize...easy to do in pots. make sure they get enough sun and heat for the species of plant.
I'm doing my best. There's this Parsley that seem to get all soggy after a single day without water. I probably need to add more Vermiculite to the substrate so it holds more water. It's weird because I have another Parsley that does just fine (in fact I just got back from a surf and this moody parsley was already screaming for water while all the other plants were fine)

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
if you parsley is wilting a day after you water it, it has poor root development

Main purpose for Vermiculite is for providing space in soil, not really for holding on to water.

• - Soilless growing medium: exfoliated vermiculite is combined with other materials such as peat or composted pine bark to produce soilless growing medium for the professional horticulturalist and for the home gardener. These mixes promote faster root growth and give quick anchorage to young roots. The mixture helps retain air, plant food, and moisture, releasing them as the plant requires them.[5] These mixes were pioneered by Boodley and Sheldrake. Exfoliated vermiculite is also used as a growing medium for hydroponics.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_germination
  • - Seed germination: vermiculite, alone or mixed with soil or peat, is used to germinate seeds; very little watering is required. When vermiculite is used alone, seedlings should be fed with a weak fertilizer solution when the first true leaves appear. A tablespoon of soluble fertilizer per one imperial gallon (3.78:1) of water is the recommended mix

• - Storing bulbs and root crops: pour vermiculite around bulbs placed in container. If clumps are dug, allow to dry for a few hours in the sun and then place in cartons or bushel baskets and cover with vermiculite. The absorptive power of vermiculite acts as a regulator that prevents mildew and moisture fluctuation during the storage period. It will not absorb moisture from the inside of stored tubers, but it does take up free water from the outside, preventing storage rot.

• - As a soil conditioner: Where the native soil is heavy or sticky, gentle mixing of vermiculite—up to one half the volume of the soil—is recommended. This creates air channels and allows the soil mix to breathe. Mixing vermiculite in flower and vegetable gardens or in potted plants will provide the necessary air to maintain vigorous plant growth. Where soils are sandy, mixing of vermiculite into the soil will allow the soil to hold the water and air needed for growth.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
if you parsley is wilting a day after you water it, it has poor root development

Main purpose for Vermiculite is for providing space in soil, not really for holding on to water.

• - Soilless growing medium: exfoliated vermiculite is combined with other materials such as peat or composted pine bark to produce soilless growing medium for the professional horticulturalist and for the home gardener. These mixes promote faster root growth and give quick anchorage to young roots. The mixture helps retain air, plant food, and moisture, releasing them as the plant requires them.[5] These mixes were pioneered by Boodley and Sheldrake. Exfoliated vermiculite is also used as a growing medium for hydroponics.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_germination
  • - Seed germination: vermiculite, alone or mixed with soil or peat, is used to germinate seeds; very little watering is required. When vermiculite is used alone, seedlings should be fed with a weak fertilizer solution when the first true leaves appear. A tablespoon of soluble fertilizer per one imperial gallon (3.78:1) of water is the recommended mix

• - Storing bulbs and root crops: pour vermiculite around bulbs placed in container. If clumps are dug, allow to dry for a few hours in the sun and then place in cartons or bushel baskets and cover with vermiculite. The absorptive power of vermiculite acts as a regulator that prevents mildew and moisture fluctuation during the storage period. It will not absorb moisture from the inside of stored tubers, but it does take up free water from the outside, preventing storage rot.

• - As a soil conditioner: Where the native soil is heavy or sticky, gentle mixing of vermiculite—up to one half the volume of the soil—is recommended. This creates air channels and allows the soil mix to breathe. Mixing vermiculite in flower and vegetable gardens or in potted plants will provide the necessary air to maintain vigorous plant growth. Where soils are sandy, mixing of vermiculite into the soil will allow the soil to hold the water and air needed for growth.
Thanks for the tip!

It might be the case. Some of the new leaves don't seem to really grow. Maybe I'll switch to a deeper pot and try to add some Potassium rich fertilizer to help develop the root. Otherwise I'll probably just eat what's there on my next kitchen adventure and ditch it altogether... I have many parsley seedlings I need to transplant to a pot.

As for vermiculite, there's loads of information about it in portuguese that it does help to hold more water. I don't know, it makes sense, vermiculite is porous.

found this piece (just a part of a study) that was translated to english (bad english and full of typos though). Feel free not to read it, but it basically says that it does retain water (amongst other things I didn't understand)

"
The addition of vermiculite to soil was studiel with respect to cation exchange capacity (CEC) and soil water retention to determine its possible use in dryland as well as irrigated land agriculture. The concentrations of O; 0,5; 1; 2; 5 and 107.of vermiculite Micron were tested 1n reddish ye110w Latoso1s under laboratory conditions. The major soil water retention was observed to occur at interva1 of 0.1 to 1 atm for different concentrations. Soil water available for plant was found to ra1se 23 to 1307.in order as compared to controlo However, CEC increased only from 27. concentration of vermicu1ite. The increase in CEC and soil water retention thraugh vermiculite (type Micron) incorporation were obtained from 27.or higher concentration (w/w).
"

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Pomegranate rules, practically impossible to keep them bug free here though. I still try anyway.

My dog is seriously suffering being neighbors with the largest desert on earth too.

Agriculture is so tricky here, between the dust, the wind, the humidity, the dry, the plagues, etc.... And that just in a day.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Green Clean for the bugs, if it worked in my jungle this summer, which was WAY TOO DENSE, THICK AND GREEN, then it will work anywhere. Only problem is you need someone stateside to receive and reship if you are "abroad".

p.s. carpal tunnel on full blown emergency mode after the 40 plants into it so far... still 5 MONSTERS in the ground to go.

WeeeeeeeeeeeeD!
Trimming is so much work, almost makes me want to just buy from pros.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
found a product that seem to be the correct bacteria strain to kills those damn Fungus Gnats larvae. Used it yesterday... haven't payed much attention to the garden today but I didn't notice many mosquitoes, seems to be working. That along the yellow traps of course.

I'm having a blast with this little herb garden and I'm interested in getting some more plants, but I'm fucking running out of room!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
released the lady bugs under a cover surrounding the basil

there are still quite a few hanging out

I still see yuge fkn aphids though

I am about to escalate to napalm; sorry, ladybugs,

Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
my cayenne sauce with the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup is just about gone already and I'm sad. But, i just spent 2 hours getting barreled down the block so there's that. And we had a friend spend a couple of nights here, married to another close friend of ours who is a master chef-- and she was really impressed with the sauce. And her master chef husband makes homemade hot sauce all the time. So there's also that. but now i'm down to just like one more splash and that's it. high heat with some tang from the cider and sweet from the maple. dayum.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
my cayenne sauce with the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup is just about gone already and I'm sad. But, i just spent 2 hours getting barreled down the block so there's that. And we had a friend spend a couple of nights here, married to another close friend of ours who is a master chef-- and she was really impressed with the sauce. And her master chef husband makes homemade hot sauce all the time. So there's also that. but now i'm down to just like one more splash and that's it. high heat with some tang from the cider and sweet from the maple. dayum.
Your friend must be very polite :dancing:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
need help. when do I pic these guys? first year producing fruit. tree is just under 6ft high
View attachment 99427View attachment 99428
Told you before, second level bumps. I see some on yours. Color sure looks green though. Try to snap one off. If releases easy from the crown, it's probably ready. Still need 10 days on the counter. Personally, I'd wait. Don't worry about the brown scale stuff either. Only a problem if whole fruit is covered. Mine ripen in a couple months. At their peak when the leaves have fallen off in January.

Lookin good :shaka:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Told you before, second level bumps. I see some on yours. Color sure looks green though. Try to snap one off. If releases easy from the crown, it's probably ready. Still need 10 days on the counter. Personally, I'd wait. Don't worry about the brown scale stuff either. Only a problem if whole fruit is covered. Mine ripen in a couple months. At their peak when the leaves have fallen off in January.

Lookin good :shaka:
damnit, sorry mr sopa I forgot!

thanks for the info!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
need help. when do I pic these guys? first year producing fruit. tree is just under 6ft high
View attachment 99427View attachment 99428Ther
They have a long time to go. Right where the stem attaches to the Avo, when they're nearly mature there's a barrel -like brownness that will begin to show at the "attachment area." You can cut the stem about 4 inches away from the Avo and let it mature a few days more or you can tell by the finger squeeze method.
My avo tree is going off but they're not ready for picking yet. Maybe January or February. I alway get a few that are nearly 2 pounds every year or a wee bit more. Neighbors always hitting me up during "avo season."

Last edited: