Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Does anyone on here listen to Diego Footer?
Thanks for sharing this. Started listening and really enjoying his podcasts, particularly the one he did with John Kitsteiner.

Reactions: PRCD

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Aphids are the least of my worries here, the salt air is brutal. The dirt was treated like a Tijuana hooker with pesticides, herbicides, and whatever other cides the campesinos could get their grubby mits on. Is it green? Iguanas, mapaches, topos, armadillos y cuanto animalero.

Cocos yes. About the only thing that can withstand the elements. The grandkids limones are producing. Icacos.

Anywho, for aphids here the home treatment is a little powdered soap (Fab) mixed with water and sprayed on. Don’t laugh, it works.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Anywho, for aphids here the home treatment is a little powdered soap (Fab) mixed with water and sprayed on. Don’t laugh, it works.
It does. My bonsai teacher taught met that one (liquid soap) and not just for aphids. He puts a little Dawn soap in a water spray bottle and gives them a little squirt. This is a guy with a horticulture degree and 2nd generation nursery owner.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That BTI + Neem Oil + yellow sticky trap combo did wonders against those pesky Fungus Gnats.

They are still there, but only a few, not even close to what it was.

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My Basil was going slow but pretty perfect. Then I sparkled some stupid product on the leaves that was supposed to be all the sh!t for herbs and on the next morning they were all shriveled and rotting (only harmed the basil though). Never doing that stupid sh!t again.

The basil on the photo are the ones I saved. Some scars on the older leaves but it's coming together nicely albeit still very small. Will soon put them on a bigger vase to let them really grow.

Cilantro on the other hand grows fast as sh!t. It got like on the photo 1 month after it first sprout, ridiculous.

They are inside. I moved them to the sunnier side of the house.
One pot looks like it gave up.
The other just looks like it hasn't moved in 4 weeks.

outside, my jalapeños are pushing lots of leaves up, but no sign of fruit. Serranos are doing ok. Carrots are working ok. My watermelon leaves are growing but the color is lightening up. The light shifted over the last few weeks and there is not nearly as much light coming through the buildings where I have them set up, but everything in the boxes is progressing.

Reactions: PPK96754

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Green Clean for the bugs, if it worked in my jungle this summer, which was WAY TOO DENSE, THICK AND GREEN, then it will work anywhere. Only problem is you need someone stateside to receive and reship if you are "abroad".

p.s. carpal tunnel on full blown emergency mode after the 40 plants into it so far... still 5 MONSTERS in the ground to go.

WeeeeeeeeeeeeD!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That BTI + Neem Oil + yellow sticky trap combo did wonders against those pesky Fungus Gnats.

They are still there, but only a few, not even close to what it was.
Uuugh, fuckers came back with a vengeance today! And I thin it's too soon to use the BTI again. fuck.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Think I could already apply another dose? I don't want to put too much stress on the little ones, I've already added some NPK today.
next time they need water I would dose them but let the soil dry out a bit if you've already fed them today. in the long term, once you have the gnat population under control, one of the keys to keeping them from getting out of control again is not over watering.

Reactions: brukuns and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pests feed on weak plants first.

Do not overwater or over fertilize...easy to do in pots. make sure they get enough sun and heat for the species of plant.

Reactions: brukuns

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Pepper party won't stop. Decided to stock out family, friends, and business associates/accounts with the first two harvests and make some different hot sauces to share. Bought 96 five ounce glass bottles for the volume discount and mailed 72 of them out last week across the country. Contemplating buying more as the bushes keep producing as the rest of the garden dies off. My first season making hot sauce and used this basic recipe below as a starter. Super easy and something to consider if you have a little extra time. Sub out whatever pepper you have available and add whatever flavoring you like from there.

pepper serranos.jpgpepper habaneros.jpgpepper jalapeno.jpgpepper sauces.jpgpepper chipotle sauce.jpg

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Anyone using Korean Natural Farming (KNF) practices? I am just getting into this and its incredible!