Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My cabbage seeds from Pt Bonita have sprouted, well 4 out of 6 have. They should be able to deal with any winter weather out in the open in SF, but we will see. I have back-up seeds to try again if there is a super bad frost and it kills them, but they should get hardier as they grow.

1600877619777.png

On a side note, I am trying to spout some passion fruit seeds.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I usually abandon the garden this time of year but I've planted some winter carrots and some purple sprouting broccoli that will hopefully produce for me again around march/april. The cucumbers are hanging on, still pumping out an edible fruit or two per week and even though the skins have become bitter the insides are good. The green beans are done as far as eating whole but there are still a bunch of mature pods to harvest for next season's seed. Actually there are way more than I need for that and I've been reading online that the beans can be shucked and cooked like a normal dried bean but for much less time. I think I'm going attempt a soup or just cook up a pot of them with bacon.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've been trying DAvid Bainbridge's porous capsule idea:

Works pretty good but not scalable to large acreages. Glue the capsules with epoxy mixed with cabosil to about a mayonnaise consistency. For the inlet, use 1/4" threaded to 1/2" barbed. You can buy them at McMaster-Carr for nothing. Sand down the pot and lid so that they're flat and can take a bead of epoxy applied with a ziplock bag like you're piping frosting on a cake.

Does anyone on here listen to Diego Footer?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My cabbage seeds from Pt Bonita have sprouted, well 4 out of 6 have. They should be able to deal with any winter weather out in the open in SF, but we will see. I have back-up seeds to try again if there is a super bad frost and it kills them, but they should get hardier as they grow.

View attachment 98170

Can you run these by me again?
What are they and how will you use them?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I usually abandon the garden this time of year but I've planted some winter carrots and some purple sprouting broccoli that will hopefully produce for me again around march/april. The cucumbers are hanging on, still pumping out an edible fruit or two per week and even though the skins have become bitter the insides are good. The green beans are done as far as eating whole but there are still a bunch of mature pods to harvest for next season's seed. Actually there are way more than I need for that and I've been reading online that the beans can be shucked and cooked like a normal dried bean but for much less time. I think I'm going attempt a soup or just cook up a pot of them with bacon.
Look for a white bean dip recipe or try this. (I have used lemons from tree in lieu of wine)

There are a lot of other good recipes out there.

Can you run these by me again?
What are they and how will you use them?
I kept some cabbage seeds that were hand collected by moi for Warble2 in Oregon from escaped cabbage plants that grow at Point Bonita. (A page or two back is the process how that happened with more detail.)

I've read that cabbage can overwinter in the mild winters we have in the Bay Area/coastal California, so now is the time to spout them and get them in the ground (once big enough). Hopefully by late spring, I'll have some full sized vegetation to harvest.

Cabbage is something I like in its many forms, hey, I even like it raw in a bowl (cut to size of large tortilla chips) with a sprinkling of soy sauce and sesame seeds , but really am looking forward to making some spiced cabbage similar to the dishes I had in Poland; probably going to try some kim-chee and sauerkraut too.

Last edited:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
peppers 92520.jpg

Greenhouse peppers still going strong. Got these ripe habaneros, serranos, and pasillas in the dehydrator right now to concentrate flavor and batch up another round of hot sauce this weekend. Another stab at the habanero jerk spiced kind and the reds are going into a Subway inspired sweet hot with apple cider vinegar.

Mr Doof, were you able to sample the jar I sent? I'm doubling the allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon this time around and adding a bit more salt. What did you think?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, I haven't opened it up yet. I so want to but at the same time, I know if I just taste test it with a chip or worse, just lick it off my finger, I won't be giving it a chance.

So I am waiting till I could grill some chicken, but it has been way to smoky to justify firing up the Weber. Maybe this weekend it will come together.

Promise to give a report.

Edit:

About an hour after I typed that, I thought to myself, "Defrost some chicken now," so am now marinating some chicken with the sauce for grilling tomorrow. Saving 1/3 for dipping sauce at the table.

Sniffed the sauce, got vinegar first, spices second, then lingering peppery heat...if that is really a scent.

Tasted said sauce with my finger and it was:

1. Vinegar forward followed by pepper sweet flavor and other spices, then heat last. Admittedly this is like over a second worth of time. Interesting how the taste was slightly different than the smell. Might just be my brain playing tricks on me.

2. Heat did not build into habanero hell, and as it faded , the allspice flavor lingered the most.

3. 5 minutes later, heat was gone, but my mouth feels a little, I don't know, like it experienced something. I mean, I know its from the sauce, but if I had no short term memory, closest approximation would be like I slightly abraded the insides of my mouth with a super mild chemical etchant. Sort of like the difference in mouth feel after a taste of rye versus bourbon. Subtle.

4. Sweetie-pie tried some, said, "Next year, send him more cabbage seeds and get bigger jar of this." Consider this two(y) up.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

View attachment 98170

The carnivores me thought I was looking at a shredded beef with garnish dish.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
it's become tragically apparent that the physical body of a 55 year old with spinal issues is NOT compatible with the harvesting of more than 5 cannabis plants per day maximum.

I know this because I just chopped 17 from 5am to 7am yesterday.

Ooooooo! I'm dying!

Reactions: santacruzin

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
To update on the mature green beans. They are fantastic. I made a bean soup with a walla walla onion, some carrots and garlic from the garden. Hemplers uncured bacon. Smoked chili powder that my brother made last year. Holy smokes. It came out great. Cooked for only 25 min. or so and the beans were starting to crack.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
it's become tragically apparent that the physical body of a 55 year old with spinal issues is NOT compatible with the harvesting of more than 5 cannabis plants per day maximum.

Ooooooo! I'm dying!

Hahahaha! It was 20, not 17

... Anyone want to come help trim?

My scissors fingers are bruised.

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

Ooooooo! I'm dying!
Oh man that’s brutal! I got done processing my first 2 and thought that was rough .
I have 4 to go , not looking Forward to it ! Hahaha

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Ooooooo! I'm dying!
you worked for two whole hours?!?!

apparently the lazy hippy stereotype is untrue after all.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
How do you guys get rid of those nasty little mosquitoes (fungus gnats) that hang around and reproduce in the dirt.

They're all over my herb garden little fuckers. I wish I could just spray some poison in there but I plan to eat that stuff.

fungus-gnats.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
How do you guys get rid of those nasty little mosquitoes (fungus gnats) that hang around and reproduce in the dirt.

They're all over my herb garden little fuckers. I wish I could just spray some poison in there but I plan to eat that stuff.

View attachment 98386
you can make little bottle traps for most types of insects

I've been using some organic treatments to deal with moths/caterpillars that has been very effective

my main issue this year is mildew and aphids

at this point, I'm ready to burn the house down to get rid of the fkn aphids

I go out in the morning and pick them off the basil and crush their stupid faces with my thumb