Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Come on your wife will make 5 different salads from those 2 cukes, and probably zoodle half of one for an Italian dish. Killing the basil though, thats, uh, that’s hard to do :poke: :)

• Haha
Reactions: Joshua2415

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Come on your wife will make 5 different salads from those 2 cukes, and probably zoodle half of one for an Italian dish. Killing the basil though, thats, uh, that’s hard to do :poke: :)
Yeah, might buy another basil plant or 2 for a do-over

Reactions: Subway

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
cannot have too much basil. Fwiw, have concluded that the best way to make pesto is to whack it, 50/50, with baby spinach.
Thai basil. But don't whack it in your basil, that's gross.
You those two kids been whackin off in ma tool shed?!

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
As promised, I'll be sending the first batch of backyard hot sauce your way, Doof. It's a habanero/jerk seasoning concoction that's got a little more vinegar and lime than I've used in the past. Let me know how it goes for you and many thanks for the seeds!

Hab ingredients.jpgHab cookin.jpgHab canned.jpg

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Remind me to take pictures of the strawberry guava plant I bought while drunk shopping at the Santa maria Lowe's. Was a bltch getting it home in the civic.
Hahhahaha.

My "pineapple guava" is approaching picking time. A great shrub that doubles as drought tolerant plant with attractive foliage and a delicious sweet tropical taste in my very temperate climate.

Warble2 --> Am glad they got there intact. I'm saving mine till I start them in January in the front window...figure I can have the in the ground by Feb 1. Am looking forward to treat....how much allspice do you use with this, that is allspice in the test tube, yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I wish I had grown enough to make enough to spread the hot love. Humble flex, but man, the combo of apple cider vinegar and white vinegar, the lime, the maple syrup...I’ve never had anything like it. Just poured a liberal dose into a bowl of chili. It’s like Vermont meets Louisiana meets the Caribbean, and packs some serious (but tolerable) heat. I didn’t remove the seeds.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
I wish I had grown enough to make enough to spread the hot love. Humble flex, but man, the combo of apple cider vinegar and white vinegar, the lime, the maple syrup...I’ve never had anything like it. Just poured a liberal dose into a bowl of chili. It’s like Vermont meets Louisiana meets the Caribbean, and packs some serious (but tolerable) heat. I didn’t remove the seeds.

Sounds tasty. What's the recipe? I've got a batch of serranos to jar up this weekend and could use some ideas besides the normal Tapatio style I usually do with em.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I just eyeballed it. But I think 1/4 cup of each type of vinegar. Dice up your peppers. Dice up some garlic. Add a healthy spoonful of salt. Bring it all to a Boil then lower the flame a bit for 20 minutes. I added a good dollop of maple syrup And the juice from an entire lime Towards the end of the 20 minute simmer. Let it cool off a little bit, then purée in the blender or cuisinart and boom. For proportion calculations, I only had enough small cayenne peppers to fill a measuring cup to the 1/4 cup line.

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Started planting these little guys a month ago. It's super relaxing to take care of a herb garden, damn I'm getting old. Even though most of them are still seedlings.

Vase 1 - Oregano, Thyme and sage. Vase 2 - Cilantro
hortinha - 1.jpeg

Basil
hortinha - 2.jpeg

Parsley (you can never have too much parsley)
hortinha - 3.jpeg

Also have Rosemary, Mint and Chives but didn't have the pictures.