Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
neighbor is feeding them walnuts in shell

squirrel dig holes in my pots and put walnut in the soil; come back later to get the
walnut once the shell is softened.

I shot a squirrel in the butt with a one-pump bb gun shot the other day

fk that squirrel in his stupid face
My friend Henry, hes a nut. Guy shoots squirrels with a bolt action silenced 22 in his yard.
I ask him what happens if they fall in neighbors yard?

oh they love it , we all get a great harvest. hahahahaha

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
We've been down in Nor Cal socially distance camping in the mother in law's backyard this past week. She's recently widowed and been riding this whole deal out solo since March. We needed to make the trip. Taking advantage of outdoor activities with her from Bodega Bay down to Point Bonita. That's where this pic was taken and my fascination with brassica oleracea, common name Pt. Bonita Cabbage, just began.

These seeds were brought from northern Europe and a staple crop in the Army forts through out the Marin Headlands. They now grow wild and spread in the most unlikely spots. You'll find them in crumbling concrete and cracks of basalt overlooking SF Bay with only a handful of soil to work with.

I'm on a mission to propagate some from seeds back home in the garden and see what happens. We were on the hike a couple days ago and the flowers looked to be about 2-3 a weeks away from seeding. Who can I count on to go up and collect a few? Mr. Doof? Janitor? We can work out a fair trade. Otherwise the 78 year old MIL is getting the call haha

Pano pic shows Golden Gate to the left and SFOB upper right. The jut of land lower right is Point Bonita and that's where you'll find the cabbage.PB Cabbage.jpgPoint Bonita SF pano.JPG

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
new recipe of sorts. wife made shrimp in a garlic butter red pepper sauce. so yummy. well we had sushi too and i dipped it in that sauce.... a whole new level of tasty sushi happened

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 96224picked 25 lbs of green beans this morning. Freezer is getting full. Hard to keep up with the veggies this time of year.
Blue Lake are my fave, what are those?

Pickled green beans for days! (I love 'em fresh too, though somewhere in December, some crunchy pickled green beans are yumtastic. Lots of recipes online.

And Warble----> send me a PM of a map to the plants. Series of zoom satellite image will do with red circles. Something like this:
1597694736782.png
I could use a new bike ride destination.

Reactions: warble2

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Blue Lake are my fave, what are those?

Pickled green beans for days! (I love 'em fresh too, though somewhere in December, some crunchy pickled green beans are yumtastic. Lots of recipes online.
Not sure what the type is. I've been letting some of the beans go and then collecting the mature pods, drying and storing them the the next year for a while now. I'll look into the Blue Lake. Would be nice to have 2 or 3 types that finish at different times to spread out the harvest a bit.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
There is a purple type, forget the official name, that makes picking them easier. [Taste is similar to Blue Lake (which are probably the most popular pole beans sold). ]

One year I planted the purple ones first, then two weeks later the greens ones....and both ripened at the same time.:foreheadslap:

Damn plants have a mind of their own.:p

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Is it normal to want to pick your young sweet potatoes before they are ready?

I'm like an old guy waiting for his 17 year old girf friend to turn 18 so he can f her legally. :dancing:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Doof, I had the same thought about growing some purple beans next year. Finding these green ones amidst the foliage is half the battle.

Got all of my purple sprouting broccoli starts popping up under some flouro lights. Need to harvest the rest of my potatoes and get the broccoli and some winter carrots planted.

I grew a couple elephant garlic this year. The bulbs are YUUUUGE. Maybe a little milder than most other garlic which I don't mind. I'll see if I can find a pic.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'm on a mission to propagate some from seeds back home in the garden and see what happens. We were on the hike a couple days ago and the flowers looked to be about 2-3 a weeks away from seeding. Who can I count on to go up and collect a few? Mr. Doof? Janitor? We can work out a fair trade.
You're asking the guy that has the least sunlight on the erBB and might be able to grow mushrooms with some luck, to gather seeds for your garden. This is an outrage, you have so much sun privilege you don't even notice it anymore :cursing: The reparations will be steep :roflmao:

Can do, let me know some details akin to Doof's request

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
First watermelon from seed!
Tomatoes keep pumping.... jalapeños too! Yeeeee!
View attachment 96393

I've got melons, jalapenos, and serranos in the works from seed.
I think I drowned, then torched my carrots. They sprouted, then they frizzled up and died.
I destroyed the basil that was doing great. They were in the east window of the extra bedroom. The heat wave combined my wife's reorganizing of the room into her Distance Learning cave made me forget about the lil guys. I checked on them after 3 days and they were toast.

Reactions: JBerry

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'm on a mission to propagate some from seeds back home in the garden and see what happens. We were on the hike a couple days ago and the flowers looked to be about 2-3 a weeks away from seeding. Who can I count on to go up and collect a few? Mr. Doof? Janitor? We can work out a fair trade. Otherwise the 78 year old MIL is getting the call haha

Got 'em.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I got 2 cucumbers from my garden!
but my basil might be beyond the point of no return with yellowish leaves some blackish spots