Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just planted the 2nd tomato (Sweet Million, a cherry tomato variety) and planted 1st tomato (Early Girl) two weeks back.

Now to harvest the Pt Reyes cabbage...overwintered perfectly1647982478476.png

Plant in pot will be cycled out to the front yard where hopefully it will do better....was fine in the pot for first two years.

Oh, the columnar apple is in full bloom, though still about 4.5 ft tall....should get to 8 ft when full grown. Flowers smell like roses, which makes some sense as they are related.
1647982862399.png

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my compost was too hot and my peas did not grow well

the kale took a bit, but it's coming up now and I think I'll keep it going year 'round

I have two tomatoes already in the ground that came up out of the compost in other planters which is nice

this year, I'm using one of those big bags they use for bulk sand/gravel and planting four tomatoes in it which will almost double the total amount of plants I have going....and those first two tomatoes do not seem even remotely phased by the nitrogenous compost/soil mix they were put in

I learn a little bit every year and the fruits improve incrementally...I'm excited to see how this year goes

I barely made it year round by picking my serranos and putting them in the freezer. I am hoping I will have enough to can some tomatoes this year.

Reactions: santacruzin

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
my compost was too hot and my peas did not grow well

the kale took a bit, but it's coming up now and I think I'll keep it going year 'round

I have two tomatoes already in the ground that came up out of the compost in other planters which is nice

this year, I'm using one of those big bags they use for bulk sand/gravel and planting four tomatoes in it which will almost double the total amount of plants I have going....and those first two tomatoes do not seem even remotely phased by the nitrogenous compost/soil mix they were put in

I learn a little bit every year and the fruits improve incrementally...I'm excited to see how this year goes

I barely made it year round by picking my serranos and putting them in the freezer. I am hoping I will have enough to can some tomatoes this year.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof and afoaf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
favorite time of year. trying all kinds of weird chit this year - huckleberries, ground cherries, funky peppers, chinese long beans etc. plus the usual. everybody has a plan until the lettuce bolts.
View attachment 126557

View attachment 126558

View attachment 126559

Growing huckleberries?

After the 2017 eclipse, Sweetie-pie and went to some lakes in Washington before going to Mt Rainer and found scads of wild huckleberries. Scarfed them down on trails in the woods, in thickets at the edge of a meadow, and along the paths at Paradise Lodge....people saw us eating the berries and asked what they were and if they were safe to eat.

(with mouthful of berries) "Uckleerries and thar ood to meat."

They need cold, acid soils (volcanically derived with lots of conifer duff), and of course, rain.

Start saving your leftover coffee grounds and go get some lava rock that you can crush up to mix into your preferred source of organic matter.....have some friends with pine trees? Also, a tablespoon (or two) of white vinegar per 5 gal of water will help when it comes time to water it.

Let us (or just me) know how you fare with them.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Just now starting to stock, last frost here is usually April 7-14th.
Maybe some of you know about this more specifically,... Last year my wife bought a blueberry bush, I hear you need a couple of these to help ensure fruiting, pollenation?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just now starting to stock, last frost here is usually April 7-14th.
Maybe some of you know about this more specifically,... Last year my wife bought a blueberry bush, I hear you need a couple of these to help ensure fruiting, pollenation?

Super similar to huckleberry requirements.

Main problem is going to be soil pH and other physical characteristics. then temperature.

Soil sulfur and peat moss for the first, and right blueberry variety for the 2nd.

More here.

Reactions: stringcheese

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
What do you use the tobacco for?
i like nicotine

so far i've tried chewing it, eating it, and making tea with it

i hear the tea can also double up as a homemade insecticide

with the current harvest i'm going to take a shot at the fermentation/aging process that would hopefully render the larger leaves suitable for rolling up a couple cigars

Reactions: santacruzin

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I didn't go through the whole thread, but anyone do vertical gardening with berries, or ? I've two small planter with vines in them now, but was thinking of growing something else...

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Super similar to huckleberry requirements.

Main problem is going to be soil pH and other physical characteristics. then temperature.

Soil sulfur and peat moss for the first, and right blueberry variety for the 2nd.

More here.
Fascinating.

I have blueberries and dragon fruit cactus locked in a several months long staring contest, neither has made a move. Didn't know the blueberries were such sensitive little bastards.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
i like nicotine

so far i've tried chewing it, eating it, and making tea with it

i hear the tea can also double up as a homemade insecticide

with the current harvest i'm going to take a shot at the fermentation/aging process that would hopefully render the larger leaves suitable for rolling up a couple cigars

Careful of nicotine poisoning..

Got any lab skills? If so, maybe we should warn your enemies. :computer:

I didn't go through the whole thread, but anyone do vertical gardening with berries, or ? I've two small planter with vines in them now, but was thinking of growing something else...
Tried with strawberries (to keep snail/slug damage down).

Soil dried out too fast for my liking (didn't want to move the automatic drip irrigation around to solve it, but that would have probably helped).

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother