Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I like to eat beets....I think maybe kale would work in the pots
My wife makes potato salad with beets "ensalada Rusa" good in CR her family calls it Russian salad:shaka::shaka::shaka:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My wife makes potato salad with beets "ensalada Rusa" good in CR her family calls it Russian salad:shaka::shaka::shaka:
pickled beets or just straight?

sometimes I put chopped green olives in my potato salad for that salty umami

pickled beets could be good like that, too

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
pickled beets or just straight?

sometimes I put chopped green olives in my potato salad for that salty umami

pickled beets could be good like that, too
Wife uses straight beets and has her own family recipe but easy enough to tweak recipe to your liking and pickled beets might be good:shaka:

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
we learned a beet salad from a russian friend.... just diced beets, mayo, and garlic... TONS of freshly pressed garlic... so much that the beet salad is SPICY HOT

so damn good and purple poo to die for the next day

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ Try adding some freshly grated horseradish to the mayo for your beet and garlic combo and a sprinkling of dill*. Had that side dish a few times in Kracow.

* - dill seemed to go on a lot of different things in Poland. Can leave out without losing much.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sunday, rainy day blackberry pie. Dessert for the chili I started making at 7 AM....tend to believe that a long slow simmer is best way to prepare chili, but pressure cooker chili (fast) is very close second.

1635191102129.png

PS

Homemade crust is 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup salted butter, 1/2 cup shortening (non-transfat veg shortening) and 3-5 tablespoons water. Knife-in the fats till you get almost a thicken cornmeal texture and barely clumps together with slight pressure, then sprinkle/add the water one tablespoon at a time, and gently mix with fork. You want to get it to almost stick together with gentle hand pressure. NO FORMING GLUTENS! You do that when you make bread, not pie crust, so no kneading or crushing it together with hand pressure. Put in plastic bag, place in fridge for 1 hour, then gently roll out on floured surface or on baking parchment.

PPS

The homemade coleslaw came out ok. No mayo, mainly olive oil, vinegar, herbs, salt, pepper, and finely chopped cabbage...and older 1910 recipe from James Beard. Reminded me of a kale salad. Added toasted sesame seeds and furikake today and was a whole lot better.

Last edited:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Sunday, rainy day blackberry pie. Dessert for the chili I started making at 7 AM....tend to believe that a long slow simmer is best way to prepare chili, but pressure cooker chili (fast) is very close second.

View attachment 118303

PS

Homemade crust is 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup salted butter, 1/2 cup shortening (non-transfat veg shortening) and 3-5 tablespoons water. Knife-in the fats till you get almost a thicken cornmeal texture and barely clumps together with slight pressure, then sprinkle/add the water one tablespoon at a time, and gently mix with fork. You want to get it to almost stick together with gentle hand pressure. NO FORMING GLUTENS! You do that when you make bread, not pie crust, so no kneading or crushing it together with hand pressure. Put in plastic bad, place in fridge for 1 hour, then gently roll out on floured surface or on baking parchment.

PPS

The homemade coleslaw came out ok. No mayo, mainly olive oil, vinegar, herbs, salt, pepper, and finely chopped cabbage...and older 1910 recipe from James Beard. Reminded me of a kale salad. Added toasted sesame seeds and furikake today and was a whole lot better.

^^^^Just forwarded this to wifey (she loves to bake and she's damn good at it!)^^^^
Thanks Doof.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sweetie-pie put herself through college working in French bakery. This was their standard recipe. She always is looking over my shoulder when I start doing anything pastry related.....which is what pie crust is.

Oh, just forgot a step.

Brush interior with egg white prior to putting in the fruit mixture. One egg is plenty.

Then add fruit mixture, put on top, brush top with egg white, sprinkle a bit of turbinado sugar on top, make a few vents, bake 40-45 mins in convection oven at 400-425 F.

Some people are fans of partially baking an empty pie crust to make it more resistant to berry/fruit juices, but she says that just takes more time, creates more hassle. With production baking, time and oven space = money.

For more butter flavor, can use one cup butter instead of 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening.

Recipe makes a very dry flakey crust. Great for "wetter" fruits and ice cream/whipped cream, but I like plain so I can taste my favorite berry without muting it under cream.

Main trick is not to overwork the pastry, so if you have one of these, you should be golden brown and crusty: 1635199614301.png

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Another great year for apples in San Diego. :)

“Gordon” apples. Low chill requirement. Very Good apples,, a bit tart followed by some sweetness.

Also my Buddah Hands are going off, along with some limes.

Still haven’t figured out what to do with the Buddah Hands, except freak people out.

DEF6F8E8-C0F4-4513-AF6C-AF3C43E77DFB.jpeg

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Another great year for apples in San Diego. :)

“Gordon” apples. Low chill requirement. Very Good apples,, a bit tart followed by some sweetness.

Also my Buddah Hands are going off, along with some limes.

Still haven’t figured out what to do with the Buddah Hands, except freak people out.

View attachment 118435
Use the zest. Grate the skin

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Buddha hand lemon are a 'zest only' kind of lemon. Tried making some lemoncello with some once and final product tasted like St Joseph baby aspirin, except instead of fake orange taste, was fake lemon taste.

Oh, appears the pineapple guavas must have had oodles of fruit fly eggs on them. After a few days ripening on the kitchen counter, the fruit basket area was reminiscent of some horror film where the unseen evil presence is revealed by swarms of house/carrion flies. :eek:

Into the fridge with everything for now, and time to try and suck them all up with a vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
pulling most of the tomatoes

turning my new compost in to the soil

trying to break out holes in the bottom of the planters through the concrete to get roots down in to the dirt; the tomatoes were nearly root-bound in the planters after this season and I think I'll get more fruits if they can go deep instead of fighting each other

serranos are going in to bigger pots

kale is going along southern fenceline

sugar peas are going in the tomato beds

trying to get the local construction site to give me one of their big fork lift "bags" that the gravel came in so I can fill it with soil and make it a giant planter bed for more tomatoes next season

thinking about adding 2 more collards

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
One of the cheap thrills of winter, back in the day, was always browsing a good seed catalog and dreaming of spring. I haven't looked at an actual seed catalog in years - thought they were all online - but somebody gave me one of these for Christmas and it's pretty epic, as these things go. It was so interesting that I turned around and bought a couple copies for other people. $12.95 - 500+ pages of stuff you will want to grow.:shaka:

Reactions: Mr Doof

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my compost is too hot...my peas are NOT liking it.

I was afraid of this.

I turned it all over and am working more carbon sources in...I bet the tomatoes will rip right through it though...they like nitrogenous soils as I understand it

pretty shitty fall/winter growing for me....

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
my compost is too hot...my peas are NOT liking it.

I was afraid of this.

I turned it all over and am working more carbon sources in...I bet the tomatoes will rip right through it though...they like nitrogenous soils as I understand it

pretty shitty fall/winter growing for me....
heard somewhere that peas cease to produce when the ground temp exceeds 70 degrees....percolating compost could exceed that pretty easily, i would think.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
One of the cheap thrills of winter, back in the day, was always browsing a good seed catalog and dreaming of spring. I haven't looked at an actual seed catalog in years - thought they were all online - but somebody gave me one of these for Christmas and it's pretty epic, as these things go. It was so interesting that I turned around and bought a couple copies for other people. $12.95 - 500+ pages of stuff you will want to grow.:shaka:

I just got some new seeds :)