Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
IMG-20210606-WA0000.jpegIMG-20210606-WA0002.jpeg20210606_092843.jpg

Day-o, Oh day-o
Day light come and me wanna go home.
Day me say day me say day me say day me say day me say day-oh
day light come and me wanna go home
work all night on a drink of rum
stack banana till the morning come
Come mister tally man tally me Banana.

Looks like the Nanas love good company,
Some Burmese Kush Original Strain homies,
Coming straight from a country now called Myanmar.
But back in the seventies we hired us some mercenaries,
Day light come and they brought us these seeds.

Day, me say day, me say day, me say day, me say daaaaay oh!

When their time come,
I gonna get real stoned!

:cheers::dancing::dancing::dancing::cheers:

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Tallied up my "nana" expenses for this season...

€300 total in soil and amendments.
Not including the cost of watering.

€5-7 per gram retail for meds right now locally.

60 to 45 grams of meds, less than a fraction of one plant, vs. enough meds for the entire year?

Ninja please!

Homegrown FTW!

Reactions: santacruzin

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Inspired me to do some clean-up. Brussel sprouts are booming.

I use Gro-Power brand for everything. It’s humus based. The veggies get their tomato/veggie gro-power mix. Herbs get alfalfa meal.

I don’t grow as much as I used too but herbs are a staple. Best advice I have with herbs is think about where they are from. Thyme, oregano like a cactus mix and potting soil, just like the Mediterranean. Basil, parsley, more water and richer soil - think France, northern Europe

373E88F2-EF1A-4E0A-A47B-AF91722B8591.jpeg.

Attachments

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pt Bonita "wild" cabbage has decided to flower instead of forming typical "head". This can be due to a the type of cabbage it is or environmental influences; don't know which it is.

Size 12 sandal gives idea of size of plant.

Time to start the harvest.....now, where is that good kimchee recipe?

1624385913267.png

PS
Red Runner pole beans just started to flower. They grow well in SF climate. Treat then like regular Blue Lake pole beans for the most part but you have to collect the pods when really young (get tough and stringy fast).

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Pt Bonita "wild" cabbage has decided to flower instead of forming typical "head". This can be due to a the type of cabbage it is or environmental influences; don't know which it is.

Size 12 sandal gives idea of size of plant.

Time to start the harvest.....now, where is that good kimchee recipe?

View attachment 111708
I totally want to eat that cabbage leaf after Mr Doof's SF laden feet/flip flop rested on it as do other forum members :p

I followed this kimchi recipe first several years ago. It's easy and good before getting brave and experimenting with all the weird stuff available at the asian market.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
shooots...I took my boys to a korean chinese food place for father's day and the
lady lost her mind when she saw the ginger boys all tearing in to the kimchi....fkn
love that stuff...that cabbage looks amazing

Black Krim, almost 3/4 lb ... gave it to my neighbor as a gift....the plant got too much
sun or maybe overfed or something because leaves are curling and it kind of petered
out.

the Early Girls dropped a ton of fruit and completely went to sh!t with mildew....I'm hacking
it up and trying to see if it will put out new vines...otherwise I'll yank and plant something
else in a bigger pot along the fenceline (which worked fkn awesome)

I have a plant climbing a tree and the two plants in the bed where I grew peas are going
arf so that's awesome...

1624465043597.png

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
shooots...I took my boys to a korean chinese food place for father's day and the
lady lost her mind when she saw the ginger boys all tearing in to the kimchi....fkn
love that stuff...that cabbage looks amazing

Black Krim, almost 3/4 lb ... gave it to my neighbor as a gift....the plant got too much
sun or maybe overfed or something because leaves are curling and it kind of petered
out.

the Early Girls dropped a ton of fruit and completely went to sh!t with mildew....I'm hacking
it up and trying to see if it will put out new vines...otherwise I'll yank and plant something
else in a bigger pot along the fenceline (which worked fkn awesome)

I have a plant climbing a tree and the two plants in the bed where I grew peas are going
arf so that's awesome...

View attachment 111761
Digital Scale... :) I have one too.

Tomatoes needs lots of airflow at the coast. Thin out the middle (go to the middle of the plant and cut out any branches in there. Make a void. Those tomato rows they used to plant at the south end of Camp Pendleton got tons of airflow. In a Back yard, not so much. I used to use fungicide, but it still happens. Or put them in an area that gets real hot during the day to dry out the moisture. I used to grow Pumpkins but they too need tons of airflow.

Speaking of Pumpkins...Now's the time to plant Pumpkin Seeds. Get on it! Plant them in the front of your house, the neighbors go bonkers over them...Even steal them and claim them as their own.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
IMG-20210623-WA0009.jpeg

Couple of days until cutting this Pakistani plant. Have her in the kitchen, no more watering nor daylight, cept what it gets thru the window. Rather than trim my autoflowers and process the leaf, I trim several leaves per day and mash them up on my fruit smoothie along with garden mint to temper the flavor.
Can you say super food ftw? Sure! Knew that you could!

IMG-20210623-WA0000.jpeg20210621_210726.jpg

These last two...

Top shot later development, in daylight on a cloudy day. Bottom early development, with flash in the late evening.

Check out the color on this girl just put into the forced flowering tent. o_O:love::unsure::sneaky::alien:(y)

Reactions: santacruzin

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Digital Scale... :) I have one too.

Tomatoes needs lots of airflow at the coast. Thin out the middle (go to the middle of the plant and cut out any branches in there. Make a void. Those tomato rows they used to plant at the south end of Camp Pendleton got tons of airflow. In a Back yard, not so much. I used to use fungicide, but it still happens. Or put them in an area that gets real hot during the day to dry out the moisture. I used to grow Pumpkins but they too need tons of airflow.

Speaking of Pumpkins...Now's the time to plant Pumpkin Seeds. Get on it! Plant them in the front of your house, the neighbors go bonkers over them...Even steal them and claim them as their own.
I espaliered them over a fence and tied them out...the foliage doesn't even sit over the soil at all

thinned religiously....still got it bad

the june gloom here fks it all up...I have one growing up in to a tree. I should take pics.

I built my compost bin and that is going swimmingly, too.

my general strat is to get an early crop, yank the sickly plants and then plant a new bunch
for late season harvest

Reactions: SlicedFeet

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
For me, growing tomatoes in SF is about a few things;

1 Uplifted marine terraces means about two feet of heavy clay on top of chert Gotta amend the heck out of it to get good drainage. Root death in clay soils is a thing. Add cool weather and yeah, bye bye tomatoes.

2 Wind needs to be ameliorated as best as possible. Most sun possible. Up against the fence between the lime tree and columnar apple is great....sadly, not lots of room for more than one.

3 Smaller tomatoes (cherry/grape varieties and Stupice) and early (Early Girl!) are best. Bigger tomatoes ripen in the odd warmer summer (less windy) we get every 8 years or so...not worth hoping to get lucky.

4 Tomatoes are heavy feeder and composted kitchen scraps are great to put in the soil before planting.

5 Have wrapped tomato cage with bubble wrap to speed early growth through colder springs/summers. Easy to re-use said bubble wrap.

6 Live close to weekend Farmer's market

Last edited:
Reactions: SlicedFeet

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 111813

Couple of days until cutting this Pakistani plant. Have her in the kitchen, no more watering nor daylight, cept what it gets thru the window. Rather than trim my autoflowers and process the leaf, I trim several leaves per day and mash them up on my fruit smoothie along with garden mint to temper the flavor.
Can you say super food ftw? Sure! Knew that you could!

View attachment 111814View attachment 111815

These last two...

Top shot later development, in daylight on a cloudy day. Bottom early development, with flash in the late evening.

Check out the color on this girl just put into the forced flowering tent. o_O:love::unsure::sneaky::alien:(y)

Why grow in pots (seem like small pots)? Why not in ground? Not saying you shouldn't or anything, just throught cannabis gets pretty big, so small pot doesn't seem optimal to me. (what I know about growing cannabis is less than what I know about a great deal of things i know very little about).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why grow in pots (seem like small pots)? Why not in ground? Not saying you shouldn't or anything, just through cannabis gets pretty big, so small pot doesn't seem optimal to me. (what I know about growing cannabis is less than what I know about a great deal of things)
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: that's so funny! I have a photographic answer, thanks to a friend who asked me that very same question 3 months ago when I had him over helping out with some garden work. ....

Easy answer is that autoflower genetics type plants, or rhuderalis proper strains, where most autos descend from, don't require more soil nor root space. It can actually be counterproductive with certain strains, they sometimes prefer roots tight in a ball.

Here's the pix...

7 liter pots...

20210625_084903.jpg

7 liter in the rear left (black) & 14 liter in the front (blue)...

20210625_084913.jpg

11 liter on these three below...

20210625_084919.jpg

40 liter plus the bottom is cut out, so it can go as deep and wide as it wants to...

20210625_084931.jpg

The ones on the table in pic #1 are taller than the ones in pix #2 & #3. And especially the last one, the test Autoflower into straight soil so it could expand if it wanted to.

Imho, and from my past experiences, the ones in pic # 3, the 11 liter pots, will be yielding the greatest returns in terms of weight and volume. The ones in the 7 liter pots, though less amount, all are showing much greater crystalization on the flowers,a clear sign of greater quality, and thus potency.

Hope to have answered your question Seeeeñor Doof!

:bowdown::waving::shaka:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf and Mr Doof

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I've been using ground, and the goods deplete the soil even more than tomatoes. Pots are the way to go. Especially when you factor in the ability to rotate, and to move around for sun and pest control. The pro stuff in the stores is grown in pots.

Fuerte - why no topping, nor any tie downs? How many times a day do you have to water?

Not plumeria, Madagascar palm. Super spiky.
1624669213860.png

Catnip and Thyme bush. Notice the lame neighbor bamboo leaves on ground, just like at Doof's.
1624669422474.png

I guess this is Ruderalis, the leaves are the widest evah. Sometimes one finds seeds in the pro-grade. If it looks weird, I have the top bent over.
1624670750717.png

Reactions: Joshua2415

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Sr. Sopa i tie and crop, but mostly like to train, the seasonals. The autos grow too fadt for any of that... I've found that stressing them may increase yields, but quality suffers.

The seasonals that go full summer HAVE TO be cut, tied, bent and seriously trimmed unless you want to be called Jack and have the neighborhood checking out the beanstalk from all angles.

I water as infrequently as is possible.. dry farming.

Several reasons,

1- close to the ocean, plenty humidity in the air every morning/evening so mold can be a problem when overwatering.

2 - the water bill flying sky high is one way the local authorities discover who is growing too much.

3 - water cut offs start to happen july/august when the peak of tourists fills the hotels and they bring their "showering habits" from the mainland... Twice a day, some even three, and of course no navy style, they leave the water running even when not it use... Same with teeth brushing, open faucet as they stand there looking at their stupid mug in the mirror while scrubbing their mouth and letting gallons escape down the drain, the ones who leave the faucet open while shaving, and don't even mention the curly hair ladies, or vane guys with suits that need steam to keep from wrinkling.... surfer girl I know who works front desk gives me the heads up when that's about to happen so I can stock up.

Bottom line, we treat water like it's BTC when it landed on the moon and is staging to go to Saturn.

Dry farming methods FTW!