Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Afoaf for aphids you need ladybugs..
They will got full genocide on the fuckers. You can buy tubs of ladybugs at the garden store.

Problem is they fly away if you dont make a nice set up for them. I create a little house for them with water(you can google this)

Then I put a net over the infected plants before I release the ladybugs. Leave the net on for a few days and all bugs are gone. Think I bought one like this:

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
How do you guys get rid of those nasty little mosquitoes (fungus gnats) that hang around and reproduce in the dirt.

They're all over my herb garden little fuckers. I wish I could just spray some poison in there but I plan to eat that stuff.

View attachment 98386

Get yellow sticky traps.
1601307988548.png

1601307950612.png
1601308008250.png

Afoaf --> If you go the lady bug route, I think you have to put them out at night (so they don't just fly away), and maybe you would want to stagger their release. More here.

Warble2--> Now have 5 cabbage sprouts, so plenty viable seeds. And the sauce was great. Made "jerk chicken" tacos. Interesting variation on a theme. Much thanks!

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sticky traps for adults fungus gnats. mosquito bits for the larvae which are what actually harm plants by feeding on the roots.

fungus gnats can be a sign of over watering. allowing the top inch or so of soil to dry out will help keep their numbers down since that's where they do most of their dirty business.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I moved to a big soak and 4 day dry period between waterings for my tomatoes
and the fruits went absolutely gangbusters

mildew showing back up again with these heavy marine layers after the fires

next season will be better!

Reactions: santacruzin and r32

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
sticky traps for adults fungus gnats. mosquito bits for the larvae which are what actually harm plants by feeding on the roots.

fungus gnats can be a sign of over watering. allowing the top inch or so of soil to dry out will help keep their numbers down since that's where they do most of their dirty business.
Already put out the yellow traps a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be enough to control the infestation but it would probably be much worse without it.

Now these Mosquito Bits seem to be exactly what I need, but I can't find it here! Trying to discover what they really are and ifit has a different name in Brazil but nothing so far.

Just bought some neem oil, they say it can help but I have my doubts.

as far as the soil, the problem is that it's quite hot here lately so the water evaporates too quickly and some of my herbs (mostly Parsley) don't seem to like it dry at all. Will push them a bit more, I know that's the biggest part of the problem.

I also have put out some seeds which need to be constantly wet, so there's that.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Cool, I actually found something similar to Mosquito Bits. Not 100% the same, but it uses the same bacillus thuringiensis bacteria but a different strain (Mosquito Bits uses the isralensis strain). Seems to be the next best thing.

It was tough to find because it's described as specific for carterpillar control, but it seems it will kill most larvae too (had to read through reviews to find out).

Getting it tomorrow... according to reviews, the results should come rather quickly. Will update you guys in a few days because I don't have anything better to do. :dancing:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah bacillus thurenwhateverish is the one you want i think. There are powder forms as well but not as easy to find.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah bacillus thurenwhateverish is the one you want i think. There are powder forms as well but not as easy to find.
apparently the strain that should kill those pesky larvae is the israelensis one. It seems the one I found is Kustark (and it is powder). It’s supposedly not effective for fungus gnats but the reviews say the opposite. Worth a try, it’s like 10 bucks (that’s like 2 dollars)

Reactions: Aruka

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
we had some pursilane in a caprese the other night.

amazing.... want to grow it.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
My basil from seed is growing so slooooow
My Basil was going slow but pretty perfect. Then I sparkled some stupid product on the leaves that was supposed to be all the sh!t for herbs and on the next morning they were all shriveled and rotting (only harmed the basil though). Never doing that stupid sh!t again.

The basil on the photo are the ones I saved. Some scars on the older leaves but it's coming together nicely albeit still very small. Will soon put them on a bigger vase to let them really grow.

Cilantro on the other hand grows fast as sh!t. It got like on the photo 1 month after it first sprout, ridiculous.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Got a pretty good harvest and have since discovered baked carrot chips - so freak'n good. Sadly, corn was like rubber. Did I wait to long to harvest maybe?

veg.jpg

Also been getting a steady flow of melons. They don't really compare to what you get down in Mississippi, but still, next year that's pretty much all I'm gonna plant. I can eat one a day easy.

mellon.JPG