Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Definitely post that when its fully in bloom
My very faux Corpse Flower lasted 12-18 hrs at full mast, then faded in color and smell ( to the smell of 3 day old dried yogurt) and flopped over, and the vegetative stem started growing again. Didn't see many flies or beetles or other insects that might be attractive the scent of rotting meat....a mixed blessing.

I think it must have peaked overnight because one day it looked like the earlier photo, then this morning:1589227729241.png1589227658632.png

The semi irregular polka-dot mottling aspect on the inside sheath will be mimicked on the vegative stem now growing (you can see it at the bottom in the lower photo).

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Cool plant man.
I bought the bulb from a plant guy at the downtown Eugene, Oregon, farmer's market when I was up there for a funeral a few years back. He was also selling his own version of crazy hot peppers, which I passed on.

He had a photo of the mature plant above a fishbowl of bulbs, a hand-written description on what looked to be re-purposed cardboard beer carton. I really should have been paying more attention to the Latin name he had on it but I was somewhat preoccupied thinking about the dead, so I really latched onto the verbal description when he said it was in the same group as the amorphophallus titan, aka Corpse Flower. I think some relatives fall under the the catch-all 'Voodoo Lilly'.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
So I planted my tree two (maybe 3?) years ago and just noticed this today. Stocked!!!! Now I'm freaking out cause I want to do the right thing to take care of them in the long process before I can eat them.

Fecal or anyone else, help!!!!

View attachment 91916
Just keep watering. Don't freak out when many of those mini-cados fall off. The picture shows where some already fell off.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
So I planted my tree two (maybe 3?) years ago and just noticed this today. Stocked!!!! Now I'm freaking out cause I want to do the right thing to take care of them in the long process before I can eat them.

View attachment 91916
This is kinda long but informative
Life long Japanese nursery man, I'm following his advice

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

View attachment 91916
DO NOT FERTILIZE when there's any fruit on the tree. You will loose all of it. Ask me how I know.

Otherwise, watch the leaves, the tree will be telling you if it's getting too much or too little water.

Takes a bit of time to dial the avo lingo but you'll get it. Stocked! :drowning:

Both my Hass and Fuerte are going nuts this year. Both are going through a growth spurt and producing a ton of fruit. It's normally one or the other.

The Hass has been producing all winter and there's still fruit on the tree, ready for picking.
If I remembered to pick it regularly, so that I always have ripe fruit, I could have gone without buying any this year.

SBD avo tree meet FF avo tree

1590877330701.png

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Since we are on the avocado subject, anyone knows the best way to support the branches?

They're getting so heavy with fruit and the top is starting to meander and lean over.

Sorry for the consecutive posts, don't ban me. :(

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
that's rad, thank you. I have been watering by watching the leaves so hopefully I'm good there. So as I'm reading correctly this will take a year for something edible?
They should be ready to pick by late summer, September at latest.

I don't know how big was your tree when planted but I had fruit since year 1.
They were fairly mature trees though, they came in 10 gallon pots if I remember correctly.

As for the astroglide, I have a 55 gallon drum in the bedroom so I'm stoked.
Perfect for those ice baths. :poop:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
it was about 4 feet if I recall correctly. It's been 2-3 years. It's about 6 ft tall right now. I sure hope you're right about late summer that would be sick. I'll post pics of my astroglide avocado oil bath

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
how do you know when to pull them?
When they fill your hand nicely like a perfect boob. :p

Think about avos you buy at the store. Yours will be the same size.

But no harm picking them a bit early, they will ripen regardless, though you may get less meat.

You can also leave them on the tree for as long as you want. They won't rot but they may burden the tree with weight, so be ready to have some sort of support for branches (figuring this out right now).

I got into a habit of picking 5-6 every week so we always have ripe avocados.
Once you miss a week or two, you'll have a gap in supply.

They take a long time to ripen.