Can anyone explain these water temps?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I listened to the weather channel on my boat last trip and brought back memories. Heck priro to that we would just show up to the beach not knowing a thing
Grom we would leave with huge lunches on bikes with golf bag/wheels board racks custom built 5am hit dirt trail to beach break behind my house. Surf beach break couple hours ride on bluff to devro surf another couple hours. Then hit bike path off to cam'Puss for more surf :shaka: I still love hearing voice on weather radio and still keep tide chart in my car.

Mar 15, 2022
I paddled out in that area 7am and again at noon on a six ten single fin. 3/2 full suit. Typical spring chilly and no botties were require.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
IB has been in the low 50s the last week or two. It was on the walled side last weekend but some corners. A guy was walking up out of the water shivering and he had a 4/3 and boots and said he wished he had a hood and gloves. I drove away after talking to him. I hate winter and spring in SD now that I am older. No desire to surf low 50s. Bring on summer and south swells. Best time of the year for me. Fu ck this cold bullshit.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
^ - A friend does that every other day in the SF Bay, year round, wearing just a Speedo. Am convinced his over 70 yr old body doesn't register cold.
When you are out of shape for the cold, your nervous system perceives cold at a big threat. Because it is.

One of humans (neglected) super powers is the ability to endure exposure to cold.

But cold adapting is a PITA. And takes conditioning.

Last summer I was doing ice baths in the low 40s.

I'm out of shape now where the cold doesn't bother me, but I don't freak out when I feel the terribleness of the extreme cold.

I can't wait until I fall into a frozen river.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Last few years, the water has been warm. We are due for a colder season. I'm looking forward to possible regrowth of kelp forests.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
for favorable climate regions I feel like spring is the worst.

big teasers of good weather followed by brief moments of disruption to remind us it’s not yet summer.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Water felt like the mid 60's. If the sun is out, i'm wearing a spring suit.

BTW: has anyone wore a farmer john suit? I want to get one, but never had one. I think they look cool but wondering if your cold as sh!t sitting out there with no arm protection.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente

BTW: has anyone wore a farmer john suit? I want to get one, but never had one. I think they look cool but wondering if your cold as sh!t sitting out there with no arm protection.
I used to have the O'Neill layer shortjohn/springsuit setup. I'd wear the shortsleeve jacket with the shortjohn for early morning or evening surfs and just the shortjohn when the air temps were warmer.

Reactions: ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Spring suit farmer john rip curl 2mm was enough here in 805 62+ :shaka:

Reactions: ReForest