Calve Muscle Spasm Lock/buldge/knot

Nick Kron

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
The Orange Curtain
Hey Doc:<P>Sometimes after surfing for a few hours, my calve gets this painfull locking ball. All I can do is not move and wait for it to subside, Then, my calve is sore for a few days. What causes this and how can it be prevented?<P>Thanks

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Muscles cramps particularly in the calves are quite common. I had one football player swear by apple cider vinegar, just one teaspoon a day, helps ttremendously. Hey, its worth a try?<P>Sometimes all the stretching, potassium, magnesium, whatever, won't help the situation.

cencoastgrom

Michael Peterson status
Feb 28, 2002
Ive had that happen once while paddeling for a wave. I had to go in a crawl up to shore and stay there for liek a 30 minutes and it hurt real bad.

HandsomePete

OTF status
Aug 14, 2002
Norte
I surf and sponge in frigid water. I used to get nasty cramps after sponging for more than an hour or two. I tried stretching and vitamins. Nothing worked.

Eventually figured out what was happening, I was getting dehydrated. I used to drink a huge coffee before going out. The diuretic affect would make me pee like a mad man and cause dehydration. The result would be some painful painful cramps. My solution was simple. Just a little coffee (hey, its cold and it perks me up) and lots of water, OJ, gatorade, what have you. Take a break every few hours and refill then go back out. Makes a huge difference. A decent wetsuit for the right conditions also helps.

I think a lot of people neglect hydrating before surfing because it is done in water that is usually cooler and refreshing. But a workout is a workout.

OTIS

Michael Peterson status
Sep 3, 2002
ENCINITAS, CA, USA
I'm not alone. I've had this happen a few times in the past. I thought it was due to dehydration and stress. I've had this happen when I'm about to get pounded by a big wave or a serious wipeout. Either way, it is really tough to surf when it happens. I had one that gave me pain for 4 days after the spasm.

Jibaro

Michael Peterson status
Dec 12, 2002
Lima
You are in luck. After years of suffering from these painfull calf cramps, I have found, not a remedy, but a solution. 2-3 ounces of pickle juice. It sounds unapealing, I know. The magical pickle juice.

This is a serious post. As lifelong surfer and "pro" beach volleyball player, I have suffered through your pain for many years until that sweet day.
After spending 2+ hours of deep sand training, I can now surf for as long as I want. I no longer cramp while taking off on that perfectly lined up set wave.

I have tried almost everything. I was also convinced it was dehydration, lack of potassium, etc.

I used to drink more water and pedialyte than you would think possible. The only thing that did was keep we warmer inside my wetsuit.

I wish you many days of crampless perfect surf.

2-3 ounces of dill pickle juice.

Jibaro

Michael Peterson status
Dec 12, 2002
Lima
I don't really know why. Maybe the vinegar or the salts. Whatever it is, it works. I had tried sooo many things before this. I heard bananas would help, and I would eat 3-4, dring tons of water......only to cramp again.

PICKLE JUICE, it's a miracle.

blakestah

Phil Edwards status
Sep 10, 2002
Next time you are out try to see when you are using the muscles that cramp, and whether you really need to use them.

I was pointing my toes and contracting my hamstrings while paddling. Both a fairly useless to paddling well, and sometimes led to cramps. Now, I leave them looser, and no more cramps. This is not going to help someone with fins much, but a paddle surfer should be able to stop using those muscles if he doesn't need to.