Calling out the brands thread

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
There seems to be a lot of people online selling sh!t or sucking the corporate teat/getting buffed up with gear that can be misleading to the community/buying public so here’s a thread to voice your reasonable peeves or poor experiences with build quality/poor customer service/support.

Try and keep it honest and factual, just personal negative experiences with foil gear/brands.
if you have a positive experience share that too to help us all move towards brands/manufactures that care about their customers and don't just take the money and run like a used car salesman.

Last edited:

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Playing this game requires showing yours first. ;-) What is your experience?
This thread isn’t intended to be a game, it’s intended to help steer people towards companies that build solid products and have the customer care to back it up if it has any issues and away from the ones who do the opposite.

My experience with takuma was very negative and I’m not alone in dealing with their non existent customer service or honouring of warranty on faulty gear,
That’s one brand off peoples list of the ‘good guys’.

I’d slate gong on behalf of all the people who have lost foils from exploded baseplates but they’re so cheap you kind of expect some sort of caveat with them so it doesn’t seem right to bag them here, plus their wings are tough as.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostshaper

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I wasn't stoked on Slingshot, I ended up breaking and losing my first setup ....I didn't bother with warranty as I knew I was largely responsible, but their flush mounting of mast to fuse is crap. I was also lead to believe the H2 was great for learning, pumping etc, basically because the H4was sold out and the rep wanted to move a unit..... laughable now....but I fell for it.
Well at least it was cheap I guess..

Gong, overall positive full the cheap and cheerful factor, but those baseplates are shocking.

Reactions: sozzle

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Game...just a joke. You threw it out there but didn't post your own thoughts first.

I haven't had any real negative experiences yet. Knock on wood.

I am riding slingshot and have had a few troubles. They have warrantied gear when they didn't have to. I am impressed. (Though not impressed by the design of wing to mast connection on the big wings...wave forces will force it open, making wing Loose)

I have a gong surf wing and the scuttlebut is it's not the greatest relative to others. I was kinda unimpressed that they developed a "pro" version just months after their release. To me, seems like they rushed to market without proper testing and then fixed the problems... effectively making me a full price prototype tester. They didn't see it that way when I complained, lol. Stated they are constantly refining and don't stand by model years. And to be fair....their wings are close to half price, so in a way I didn't really pay full price compared to other brands....that is the 50 percent off I was seeking.