California Road Trip...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Hey there good people of the erb!

My gf and I are crossing the Pacific in June for a 2 week trip from San Francisco to San Diego. We both have a few ideas of where we want to visit, but I would really appreciate any local knowledge about places to eat, places to stay, things to do, best places to rent a car, etc. It's not really a surf trip, but I hope to get a couple of waves here and there. Although, I'm not expecting many pointers from you lot... ;)

This is our tentative itinerary:

San Francisco - 3 nights + a day trip to Sonoma for a wine and bike tour
Santa Cruz - 1 night
Big Sur - 1 or 2 nights
Santa Barbara - 3 or 4 nights
Orange County - 2 nights
San Diego - 2 nights
Santa Monica 2 nights

If you have any advice or recommendations, then that would be great! My style is more rustic and relaxed, but she's more into polished places and shopping. We're trying to balance the two during the trip. The reason for the San Diego yo-yo back to LA is because she wants to finish with some shopping, and the flights are better out of LAX.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
June is gonna be hit or miss for surf. June is typically overcast and bad winds for almost all of the CA coast, but water is warming up in June and there should be some south swell. Best bet will be Orange County and San Diego, plus northern LA, for surf.

SF

Buena Vista for Irish Coffee.

Zuni Cafe is an SF institution (get a reservation).

The Little Chihuahua for the fried plaintain burrito.

Sam's Burgers for a delicious hole in the wall burger.

Stay at the Inn at the Presidio if you can get a room (and don't mind being a little outside of the city, otherwise, stay in Union Square or something).

Santa Barbara

Check out Full of Life in Los Alamos if you're driving through on a Thursday-Sunday.

Get tri tip somewhere (Santa Maria, Los Olivos Grocery, Cold Spring Tavern).

La Super Rica.

Are you staying in the city of Santa Barbara, or are you stretching the stay out to include the northern valleys?

Orange County

Nothing, it sucks, skip it. Kidding.

If you want vapidity, I mean, shopping, of the highest order, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island.

If you want tacos (and other stuff) that may change your life, Alebrijes Grill Taco Truck in Santa Ana. It's pink, you can't miss it. Then, head down the street to Paleteria la Flor de MIchoacan.

Places to stay, depends, you want to be near the beach? Any particular part of Orange County?

As far as what to do, what do you like to do? Art and museums, architecture, outdoorsy (hike, swim, etc.), just relax?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
One of the best trips you can do in my opinion. I think your timeline looks pretty good as far as length in each place. I have done this trip many times and its an all time favorite, simple and always score good surf (although I usually do it in the winter). I might add, zip over to the Eastern Sierras from SB for a day or two. I did that a few winters ago and fly fished one of the more well known rivers, scenery was great the whole drive (6hrs flew by) and once arriving it was pretty amazing. Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, and the other drive through towns are interesting and worth a stop at each one; especially if something catches your eye. Some quirky spots along the way. I would recommend staying at Mcgee Creek Lodge, its rustic but pretty awesome and the owner is a good guy. Also just camping on the public land their along the Owens River is pretty amazing.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I might cut off one night in SB and stay over in San Luis Obispo. Perfect balance between your and her priorities there IMO.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Goodfish said:
This is our tentative itinerary:

San Francisco - 3 nights + a day trip to Sonoma for a wine and bike tour
Santa Cruz - 1 night
Big Sur - 1 or 2 nights
Santa Barbara - 3 or 4 nights
Orange County - 2 nights
San Diego - 2 nights
Santa Monica 2 nights
This looks solid, my one request is that you don't day trip to Sonoma for bikes and wine and then try to drive home :drunk: plan your sh*t out ahead of time and don't try to drive out of there hammered

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yew! Thanks for insider info, littlewave, manbearpig, bird. and The Janitor! I'll check out all these places as I do my research.

I'd prefer to stick to the coasts, so might not have time for an inland visit, and doesn't need to be too fancy. Although, we'll probably stay somewhere a bit nicer for the last 2 days of the trip back in LA. Basically, I prefer outdoorsy stuff, and my good lady is up for a mix of outdoorsy stuff blended with some shopping. Both of us like good food - seafood, Mexican, etc. Also, not gonna be dabbling in any drink-driving (apart from on the 2-wheel bikes). Most probably we'll get a bus up to Sonoma.

I'm open to all ideas, and I really appreciate you all sharing some of your knowledge.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Any particularly good value and nice inns, B&Bs and hotel recommendations would be great as that's one area I'm having trouble with...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
littlewave said:
June is gonna be hit or miss for surf. June is typically overcast and bad winds for almost all of the CA coast, but water is warming up in June and there should be some south swell. Best bet will be Orange County and San Diego, plus northern LA, for surf.

SF

Buena Vista for Irish Coffee.

Zuni Cafe is an SF institution (get a reservation).

The Little Chihuahua for the fried plaintain burrito.

Sam's Burgers for a delicious hole in the wall burger.

Stay at the Inn at the Presidio if you can get a room (and don't mind being a little outside of the city, otherwise, stay in Union Square or something).

Santa Barbara

Check out Full of Life in Los Alamos if you're driving through on a Thursday-Sunday.

Get tri tip somewhere (Santa Maria, Los Olivos Grocery, Cold Spring Tavern).

La Super Rica.

Are you staying in the city of Santa Barbara, or are you stretching the stay out to include the northern valleys?

Orange County

Nothing, it sucks, skip it. Kidding.

If you want vapidity, I mean, shopping, of the highest order, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island.

If you want tacos (and other stuff) that may change your life, Alebrijes Grill Taco Truck in Santa Ana. It's pink, you can't miss it. Then, head down the street to Paleteria la Flor de MIchoacan.

Places to stay, depends, you want to be near the beach? Any particular part of Orange County?

As far as what to do, what do you like to do? Art and museums, architecture, outdoorsy (hike, swim, etc.), just relax?
Just looked through all of these. Epic recommendations! I've added them all to my list.

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation along the way? Hoping for some good finds in the $100-200/night range, then save some bucks for a more luxury treat for the last 2 nights in LA...

Thanks again to all the people who have added their tips so far. Really, really appreciate it!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't know the area well but if I was going with a lady friend who was into polished and shopping, and I liked rustic and relaxed, I might stop by and/or spend a night in Carmel. Dunno if June means nothing but fog and howling NW winds; I went in December and it was the most glorious weather/surf conditions known to mankind. I told everyone in Florida it's all day offshores, cloudless, and 77 all day every day. Don't worry, I also told them the real estate ads in the eponymous luxury lifestyle magazine are just like Jax Beach, except add a zero.

I dunno if the shopping is the type she wants but the town is low-key and mellow, not a colossal traffic-y painus in the anus like (I'd imagine) Rodeo Dr. to be (or whatever the kids/tourists in LA are into these days). Parking can be a bit of a female dog, but the sunsets, restaurants, shops, and most of the hotels all seem basically walkable. I didn't get in my car except to go surfing, which was nice because I almost never drink and 3-4 glasses of wine and it'd be no goods in unfamiliar areas.

I stayed at the Normandy Inn, a B&B right on Ocean in Carmel. Just sort of winged the whole mission so didn't look around. Prices look within budget at a glance? Free simple breakfast; lovely post-grub digestion stroll down to the beach and back. Sunsets were primo; has sort of the Puerto Vallarta everyone stops and watches vibe. Just don't try to park at the end of Ocean 10 minutes before showtime.

The food in the little burg was tasty if pricey. I also ate a lunch at a place right on the 101 between SC and Monterrey, called The Whole Enchilada, and I liked that, also just off the 101 into Castroville, a place called Alfonso's that a bartender recommended, I liked that place too. YMMV.

I tried pretty hard to mind my p's and q's while surfing and had no problems, also didn't try to sit in the spot at any non beachbreak takeoff spot waves, but I swear when I was leaving Carmel last morning a work van saw me putting my boardbag in to the car and hastily rolled a window down and told me to beat it.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SF only

1 I am going to recommend not renting/getting a car for San Francisco..maybe just as you get out of town.

2 Recommend taking early morning bus to Seal Rocks and then walking to the Ferry Bldg along the water side trails. Bring water and snacks.

3 Shopping....well, mainstream or not? $$$$$ or just $$$ or $? Classic or crusty?

4 Take BART to Glen Park then walk up to Twin Peaks, then down to Noe Valley, then into the Mission, take Valencia to Market, zig-zag your way to Hayes Valley, then over to Civic Center and up Polk to Broadway, through tunnel (when is the last time you walked through a noisy urban tunnel under Russian Hill?), and into North Beach/China town. A bunch of walking for certain, but an urban hike is petty fun provided you have the legs. You can opt out any time too.

5 I might be able to lend you a board if conditions are ripe.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
While in Big Sur:

Get coffee/breakfast at the Big Sur Bakery. Grab lunch at Nepenthe and enjoy the view. Cocktail hour at the Big Sur River Inn out back on the grass next to the river. Back to the Big Sur Bakery for dinner (amazing food, but make reservations). After dinner, hit up the Fernwood for a couple of post dinner drinks. Cool little bar that has a fun mix of crotchety locals and tourists alike.

As far as lodging, look into a cabin in the Redwood Groves at Glen Oaks. It's pricey, but it would be a good compromise for the preferences you mention above.

Daytime hike along the Andrew Molera loop. It's a 9 mile coastal hike that has some incredible views.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Don't live out Carmel and Monterey, and don't forget to do the 17 mile drive.

As far as shopping, is your wife into good deals or is she more of a high end rodeo drive shopper? A stop for a few hours at the Camarillo Premium Outlets before arriving in LA might be a good idea to get her fix.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Sharkbiscuit said:
I don't know the area well but if I was going with a lady friend who was into polished and shopping, and I liked rustic and relaxed, I might stop by and/or spend a night in Carmel. Dunno if June means nothing but fog and howling NW winds; I went in December and it was the most glorious weather/surf conditions known to mankind. I told everyone in Florida it's all day offshores, cloudless, and 77 all day every day. Don't worry, I also told them the real estate ads in the eponymous luxury lifestyle magazine are just like Jax Beach, except add a zero.

I dunno if the shopping is the type she wants but the town is low-key and mellow, not a colossal traffic-y painus in the anus like (I'd imagine) Rodeo Dr. to be (or whatever the kids/tourists in LA are into these days). Parking can be a bit of a female dog, but the sunsets, restaurants, shops, and most of the hotels all seem basically walkable. I didn't get in my car except to go surfing, which was nice because I almost never drink and 3-4 glasses of wine and it'd be no goods in unfamiliar areas.

I stayed at the Normandy Inn, a B&B right on Ocean in Carmel. Just sort of winged the whole mission so didn't look around. Prices look within budget at a glance? Free simple breakfast; lovely post-grub digestion stroll down to the beach and back. Sunsets were primo; has sort of the Puerto Vallarta everyone stops and watches vibe. Just don't try to park at the end of Ocean 10 minutes before showtime.

The food in the little burg was tasty if pricey. I also ate a lunch at a place right on the 101 between SC and Monterrey, called The Whole Enchilada, and I liked that, also just off the 101 into Castroville, a place called Alfonso's that a bartender recommended, I liked that place too. YMMV.

I tried pretty hard to mind my p's and q's while surfing and had no problems, also didn't try to sit in the spot at any non beachbreak takeoff spot waves, but I swear when I was leaving Carmel last morning a work van saw me putting my boardbag in to the car and hastily rolled a window down and told me to beat it.
Some nice bits of advice there! Thanks, Sharkbiscuit! Yeah, Carmel looks pretty nice, and I guess I can just do a day trip in Santa Cruz as we drive down. Booked a night at The Normandy Inn! Yew!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Mr Doof said:
SF only

1 I am going to recommend not renting/getting a car for San Francisco..maybe just as you get out of town.

2 Recommend taking early morning bus to Seal Rocks and then walking to the Ferry Bldg along the water side trails. Bring water and snacks.

3 Shopping....well, mainstream or not? $$$$$ or just $$$ or $? Classic or crusty?

4 Take BART to Glen Park then walk up to Twin Peaks, then down to Noe Valley, then into the Mission, take Valencia to Market, zig-zag your way to Hayes Valley, then over to Civic Center and up Polk to Broadway, through tunnel (when is the last time you walked through a noisy urban tunnel under Russian Hill?), and into North Beach/China town. A bunch of walking for certain, but an urban hike is petty fun provided you have the legs. You can opt out any time too.

1 - Good advice. Point taken.

2 - Got it.

3 - Mainstream, unfortunately. She covers all price ranges, but luckily enough she's got a good job, so she pays for her own shopping. She spent US$4,000 on a BAG when we were in London at Xmas...

4 - Nice! Saves spending money on a tour. Which I find boring anyway...

5 - Hit me up if there's a swell and you have time! June 15, 16, 17! On that note, I only want to bring one wetsuit with me. Would a long sleeve spring suit cover me for the whole trip or better to bring a 3/2?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
jkb said:
While in Big Sur:

Get coffee/breakfast at the Big Sur Bakery. Grab lunch at Nepenthe and enjoy the view. Cocktail hour at the Big Sur River Inn out back on the grass next to the river. Back to the Big Sur Bakery for dinner (amazing food, but make reservations). After dinner, hit up the Fernwood for a couple of post dinner drinks. Cool little bar that has a fun mix of crotchety locals and tourists alike.

As far as lodging, look into a cabin in the Redwood Groves at Glen Oaks. It's pricey, but it would be a good compromise for the preferences you mention above.

Daytime hike along the Andrew Molera loop. It's a 9 mile coastal hike that has some incredible views.
You're the second person to recommend Nepenthe. Looks amazing, so we're waiting for the slots to open to book a table. Also, another friend recommended both Big River Inn and Glen Oaks. Both of them look great, and I love the whole sitting in a chair in a river idea. I think we're gonna book at Big River Inn. Thanks for the tips!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
brukuns said:
Don't live out Carmel and Monterey, and don't forget to do the 17 mile drive.

As far as shopping, is your wife into good deals or is she more of a high end rodeo drive shopper? A stop for a few hours at the Camarillo Premium Outlets before arriving in LA might be a good idea to get her fix.
She's into good deals at high end stores...lol. Basically, I have surfing, and she has shopping and Barre (Google it).

Carmel is on the list. Our schedule is quite tight as we want to see it all and spend a good few days between Santa Barbara and San Diego, so we'll have an afternoon and a morning in Carmel. Would that be enough or better to extend to 2 nights? I've left 3 nights between Big Sur and Santa Barbara unbooked, so we can stay longer if we find somewhere we really like. Would we have any problem finding a place to stay if we left it like that? When does the tourist season really kick in? July and August?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
PS. I'm getting brownie points when I send her links to the shopping places you guys have been recommending. She asked me where I'm getting them from, so I told her - THE SURFER FORUM! She laughed...

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Goodfish said:
Would a long sleeve spring suit cover me for the whole trip or better to bring a 3/2?
You will freeze your ass off in anything less than the 3/2. North of Point Conception you may wish you had a 4/3. South of Point Conception June Gloom could well be the weather conditions near the coast in which case a 3/2 will be just the ticket.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
bird. said:
Goodfish said:
Would a long sleeve spring suit cover me for the whole trip or better to bring a 3/2?
You will freeze your ass off in anything less than the 3/2. North of Point Conception you may wish you had a 4/3. South of Point Conception June Gloom could well be the weather conditions near the coast in which case a 3/2 will be just the ticket.
Bird is the word.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Goodfish said:
Mr Doof said:
SF only

1 - Good advice. Point taken.

2 - Got it.

3 - Mainstream, unfortunately. She covers all price ranges, but luckily enough she's got a good job, so she pays for her own shopping. She spent US$4,000 on a BAG when we were in London at Xmas...

4 - Nice! Saves spending money on a tour. Which I find boring anyway...

5 - Hit me up if there's a swell and you have time! June 15, 16, 17! On that note, I only want to bring one wetsuit with me. Would a long sleeve spring suit cover me for the whole trip or better to bring a 3/2?
If it is mainstream items she likes, then start at Powell and Market and spiral outwards. I don't know why this would be of any appeal though, it is same kind of stuff in every city over 300,000 people. But no matter, after all, who am I to argue such things.

If you want to do the Glen Park walk up and over Twin Peaks, etc, etc, send me a PM if you are interested in having me walk with you for a while. I am a fan of the urban hike and can point out a few things of interest along the way.

The surfing thing...I am too thin to surf in anything but a 4/3...maybe in the warmer months I could get away with 3/2. I've seen others getaway with less during those times. June is not one of those warmer months however. Will try to remember your visiting dates.