California - legal to dive for crabs?

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I've been trying to figure this one out, figured you guys would know.

Is it legal to dive for crab in California? I don't see anything in the regulations that says it is not... but I never see anyone doing this.

If it makes a difference, I'm interested in both Dungeness and rock crab. Freediving only.

Anyone know if this is legal?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Reading https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=177588&inline

- It's explicitly legal to go swimming and hand-grab crabs in general as a harvest method.
- No Dungeness harvesting inside GG from what I read
- Dungeness closed June 30th in KALI except Mendo/Humbo/DelNo

Rock crab looks open, bag limit 35
I don't know exactly WTF this measurement is; typically for crustaceans I want a picture/video of the measurement being performed

(3) Minimum size: Four inches measured by the shortest distance through the body, from edge of shell to edge of shell at the widest part, except there is no minimum size in Fish and Game Districts 8 and 9.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You can get a rock crab gauge for cheap or just make your own with a flat piece of aluminum or steel. IMO for how cheap rock crabs are (a few $/lb) they're worth buying 1/2 dozen than grabbing them. You gotta harvest them with your hands (no snares, mops, tools, etc) and they're gnarly, then keep them in a hip bag (sketchy) unless you want to use a float. Same w/ spider crabs. I wish dungeness were plentiful in Southern CA, I'd be all over that.

Rock crab in Gaviota, will snap your fingers :drowning:

crab.png

see pics for measuring:

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
ha, yeah that's the question I forgot to ask - can you use tools or do you have to bare-hand them. Not so sure I'm ready to risk my fingers for a rock crab. Still, good to know it can be done and it's worth a thought...

Thanks guys.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I used to get rock crabs while nite diving for bugs out at the islands, they get out on the walk like lobsters just after dusk.
Never bothered taking the whole crab, rather pin 'em down when you come across them and twist one claw off and let them be on their way to grow another one back. A dozen or more claws makes for a pretty good meal.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
(3) Minimum size: Four inches measured by the shortest distance through the body, from edge of shell to edge of shell at the widest part, except there is no minimum size in Fish and Game Districts 8 and 9.

Instructions like this, though not ambiguous in any way, are how impatient people end up at
"Instructions unclear, penis stuck in _____"

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
just go north of the Golden Gate and wait for a couple to walk out of the ocean at lower tides. I've seen Dungeness the size of dinner plates just ambling along in the wet sand at Salmon Creek from time to time.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, I've seen those crabs ambling around the beaches too. Some of them may or may not have taken a tour of my steamer pot. But, I've mostly seen that in late summer and dungennes season doesn't open until November.

The nice thing about rock crabs is that they can be taken all year.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Instructions like this, though not ambiguous in any way, are how impatient people end up at
"Instructions unclear, penis stuck in _____"
Instructions unclear, penis suck in mouth. Personally I blame people looking for any fckn excuse to get something for nothing, basically looking for any possible excuse to poach.

Does this mean the if the widest part of the carapace exceeds 4" straight line, you are good? This is what I would conclude.

Or does this mean you must establish a horizontal axis along the line defined by the widest part of the carapace, and a straight line vertically measured at any point on the horizontal axis exceeds 4".

(I'm purposely not doing the homework this time to explore reading comprehension fail).

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
You have to measure the crab with a four inch needle, duh. Stab through widest part, if any needle makes it out the other end, you have to put the crab back. It's the only way to be accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
People regularly pick crabs up with nets off the pier at the end of my block.

I'm not sure if it's legal.