California Air Resources Board: Mandate all new trucks operating around busy railways and ports be zero-emission vehicles by 2024.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Is passing on new costs to the consumer “predatory?”

is any profit predatory?
it depends, but not usually.

With the price of oil equal, why is gas so much more expensive now than at the start of the year?

What we’re oil companies’ margins before the price of oil jumped?

I don’t think big oil is gouging. But pointing to profit margins isn’t how you show it.

Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
this is not and has never been a persuasive argument against demonstrably inflated pricing

there is no agreed upon profit margin where predatory pricing is acceptable
How about you tell us at which point profitability becomes predatory and "price gouging"?

• Love

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
How about you tell us at which point profitability becomes predatory and "price gouging"?
It’s situational.

Why is gas so much more expensive today than it was when oil was at $80 on the way up?

Are there cost issues?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Posts like this are how I know you’re in the corner dropping your hands
no, literally, you demonstrably don't know what you're tantruming about

it's hilarious

this is like the third issue in three days you've gone on a tear about that's total bullshit

to wit: there is no legislation! economies will not be destroyed. thank you. good night!

Is passing on new costs to the consumer “predatory?”

is any profit predatory?
don't accuse me of "dropping my hands" when you're out here swinging wildly at high pitches, bruv

the relevant data point would be historic margins and/or current margins for comparable competitors in the market, not some random number he picked out of the ether.

the point that retail gas is being marked up irrespective of underlying commodity prices and is yielding unprecedented profits (margins) has been repeatedly and thoroughly proven on this forum in recent months so I'm hoping you're just tripping on your dick trying hard for that gotcha and not questioning the ground truth by asking this loaded question

• Haha

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
2024 is not realistic
This is a PROPOSAL. Ever hear of an opening bid? Why so quick to give up and condemn something that will be an improvement, just because it's hard or not the way we are used to doing things? That "no can do" spirit did not build America.

And diesel engines are not perfect.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This is a PROPOSAL. Ever hear of an opening bid? Why so quick to give up and condemn something that will be an improvement, just because it's hard or not the way we are used to doing things? That "no can do" spirit did not build America.

And diesel engines are not perfect.
Why make a proposal for something that's wholly unrealistic?

Oh yeah

1669645631036.png

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
no, literally, you demonstrably don't know what you're tantruming about

it's hilarious

this is like the third issue in three days you've gone on a tear about that's total bullshit

to wit: there is no legislation! economies will not be destroyed. thank you. good night!
So you're doubling down on it.

This is total bullshit?

Looks real to me

https://www.wsj.com/articles/california-looks-to-ban-diesel-trucks-at-ports-by-2035-11668801812

don't accuse me of "dropping my hands" when you're out here swinging wildly at high pitches, bruv

the relevant data point would be historic margins and/or current margins for comparable competitors in the market, not some random number he picked out of the ether.

the point that retail gas is being marked up irrespective of underlying commodity prices and is yielding unprecedented profits (margins) has been repeatedly and thoroughly proven on this forum in recent months so I'm hoping you're just tripping on your dick trying hard for that gotcha and not questioning the ground truth by asking this loaded question
So why do you keep supporting things that will cause gas prices to come up more?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
accuses me of doubling down while doubling down on his bad reading comprehension

"proposal"

you really are a disaster, bud
See above post

Why make a proposal if you have no plan on following through?

Why would you even accept and agree with a proposal this ludicrous? Please explain to me why you're shilling for this

A proposal is just as bad as a law

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Why make a proposal for something that's wholly unrealistic?
You should have told that to the Wright Brothers.

You can give up and say it can't be done, or you can problem solve.

I've heard some electric car deniers say hybrid is the necessary intermediate step. Here it is.

Meanwhile American industry, thank god, is not wallowing in the "no can do" mentality. They're already on it-

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
accuses me of doubling down while doubling down on his bad reading comprehension

"proposal"

you really are a disaster, bud
I have an ARB rule making flow chart somewhere in my office. Hopefully I can find it and post it here.

In ARB parlance a “proposal“ isn’t what we commonly understand it to be (an idea which the implementation of is debated on a yes/no basis).

In their world a proposal is more akin to a “heads up”. It basically means “we are going to do this so get ready.”

Typically the debatable elements only involve timelines and who will bear the brunt of the costs.

In my line work i have yet to see a CARB proposal that didn’t get implemented.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

I've heard some electric car deniers say hybrid is the necessary intermediate step. Here it is.

Meanwhile American industry, thank god, is not wallowing in the "no can do" mentality. They're already on it-

Except this is not improving on something like the Wright Brothers did, this is forced compliance to create something worse than what already exists due to government forces, not the market. That's the whole problem with EV in general, even without accounting for the more nefarious technologies that are easier to apply to an EV

And the original point about this being economy-destroying remains- why force these operators to buy new equipment when they otherwise don't have to?

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
See above post

Why make a proposal if you have no plan on following through?

Why would you even accept and agree with a proposal this ludicrous? Please explain to me why you're shilling for this

A proposal is just as bad as a law
do you even understand what it means to shill?

"...swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others."

laughing at you and casa being such try-hards is not an enticement to others

figure it out

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It's not going to happen in 2024. The technology would need to improve significantly, then all these new trucks would have to be designed and manufactured. And then there would be billions of dollars of new trucks that would need to be purchased. Unless the government (using your tax dollars) purchases the trucks, I would imagine that a lot of trucking concerns would simply cross CA off the list for awhile. Can you say supply chain problems?

Nudge technology.

Further down the road, sure. 2024? I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: PRCD and grapedrink

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Except this is not improving on something like the Wright Brothers did, this is forced compliance to create something worse than what already exists due to government forces, not the market. That's the whole problem with EV in general, even without accounting for the more nefarious technologies that are easier to apply to an EV

And the original point about this being economy-destroying remains- why force these operators to buy new equipment when they otherwise don't have to?
Is that happening?

Dumb things are proposed all the time. Remember when lawmakers in Missouri proposed to ban surgery on ectopic pregnancies as part of a full ban on abortions? Turns out, not a law.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Standard range between fills for a diesel powered semi truck is around 2,000 miles.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Standard range between fills for a diesel powered semi truck is around 2,000 miles.
He is prone to getting too far out over his skis with technical claims. Automated driving is one example. That said, he’s made me eat my words with SpaceX and Starlink. On this one, it’s not viable without a revolution in battery storage and recharge. Whatver revolution occurs must be scaleable in terms of production, supply, and charge - all of these things are currently insurmountable.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Is that happening?

Dumb things are proposed all the time. Remember when lawmakers in Missouri proposed to ban surgery on ectopic pregnancies as part of a full ban on abortions? Turns out, not a law.
You don’t understand what “proposal“ means in the context of how CARB makes rules.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta