California Air Resources Board: Mandate all new trucks operating around busy railways and ports be zero-emission vehicles by 2024.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Or be a racist.

"Many California neighborhoods, especially Black and Brown, low-income and vulnerable communities, live, work, play and attend schools adjacent to the ports, railyards, distribution centers, and freight corridors and experience the heaviest truck traffic," the board wrote, adding that this pollution causes health risks to those communities."

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The risks of illness (Parkinson’s, dementia, cancer to name a few) rise significantly the closer you live to traffic. We considered a house that was just off the freeway once. It was well protected from noise but the air quality made it a no go.

I dont think it’s a racism thing, it’s a poor thing.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Or be a racist.

"Many California neighborhoods, especially Black and Brown, low-income and vulnerable communities, live, work, play and attend schools adjacent to the ports, railyards, distribution centers, and freight corridors and experience the heaviest truck traffic," the board wrote, adding that this pollution causes health risks to those communities."

The time line is too steep but the issue is legitimate. Racist? Just look at the demographics of the Port of LA area, Wilmington, where the traffic passes through (the trucks don’t go through San Pedro or Long Beach).

Reactions: plasticbertrand

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You basically have two choices, and you've chosen the racist one.
Racist? It is a simple fact. Wilmington is 90% Latino. The boatbuilder I worked for is there. I substituted for schools there. And the air is bad.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Racist? It is a simple fact. Wilmington is 90% Latino. The boatbuilder I worked for is there. I substituted for schools there. And the air is bad.

People are dying. Black's and brown's.

It's racist to think the timeline for this is too steep.

• Dislike

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I don't think the technology is there yet. I'd be concerned that what this will do in the short term is raise the price of virtually everything in California that enters by truck. Which would obviously impact the economically disadvantaged.

Maybe I'm wrong on the tech. Time will tell.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't think the technology is there yet.
That's racist.

I'd be concerned that what this will do in the short term is raise the price of virtually everything in California that enters by truck. Which would obviously impact the economically disadvantaged.
There should be little impact on black's and brown's since they don't drive big work vehicles.

Also, we can give them payment subsidies if prices of goods go up.

I'm on the wrong side of history.
fixed

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The reason why poor people live there is because it’s cheap.

It’s cheap because it’s dirty.

The way out of this is reduce poverty.

Making things more expensive does the opposite.

Reactions: Havoc