California Air Resources Board: Mandate all new trucks operating around busy railways and ports be zero-emission vehicles by 2024.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You guys are late to the party as usual. Had 3 drayage chargers put in in LB last week in a logistics company yard.
How many will we need total? How much power and energy will they require? At what cost? Who pays it?
This is the near term, though the existing grid / infrastructure around LB and Port of LA is sh!t and it's gonna take a lot of work ($'s) to get it upgraded.
"It takes time/work/money/etc":

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
California has the highest inequality and welfare usage in the nation along with the highest cost-of-living and schools in the bottom tier. Why isn't it working?
California might have the highest welfare usage in the nation gross because it's much bigger than the other 49 states. There is basically no way it has the highest per capita usage, by any metric, including at the state-funded level.

New York and Louisiana both have higher GINI coefficients but I'm not entirely sure what you're using as a measure of inequality. It's kind of hard to have all that much migrant farm labor in a place like Vermont. Maybe California is different than Florida at the very bottom but the migrant farm workers here are the most disastrously poor people in the state.

IMHO California has the highest cost of living in the nation because it's the nicest place to live. It has the best weather and it's not remotely close. The Winter anywhere North of St. Augustine would freeze the soul of 95% of Californians, and the swelter of an East Coast summer basically anywhere other than New England would lay them low.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
What happens if you run out of charge in your Tesla and you call the AAA?

Do they have a method of charging your vehicle from the truck or do they just tow you to the nearest recharging station?

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
At what cost? Who pays it?
Think of them like gas stations. Buy or rent land / space, charge for charging. Private equity backed this play. Juice comes from the landowner's existing infrastructure. First ones in LB. Lots more on the books. Ribbon cutting in a week, should be on the news.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1 The tow truck gets behind the Tesla and gently pushes it.
Holy sh!t that one hippie wasn't kidding when he said you'd meet some gentle people in San Francisco. A tow truck driver gently doing anything? To a Tesla? Good Lord. You ask a tow truck driver in Florida to do that, you're going to be asking the guy rapidly banging the drum why the tow truck driver told him "ramming speed" and wanted a quarter mile of run-up.

Last edited:

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011

That's not what I'm asking - how much more power and energy will need to be supplied to the CA grid for this?
We've got plenty of power, during the day. We actually pay AZ to take our solar overproduction. At night, different story, peaker plants come on.

It's the distribution network near the ports and warehouse distribution centers that needs upgrades to handle the additional loads.

Reactions: npsp and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We've got plenty of power, during the day. We actually pay AZ to take our solar overproduction. At night, different story, peaker plants come on.

It's the distribution network near the ports and warehouse distribution centers that needs upgrades to handle the additional loads.
I calculated that to convert all of CA's 14 million cars to EVs and charge them overnight, we'd need 9 more Diablo Cyn reactors. Converting the diesel tractor trailers to electric makes this problem much worse.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
I calculated that to convert all of CA's 14 million cars to EVs and charge them overnight, we'd need 9 more Diablo Cyn reactors. Converting the diesel tractor trailers to electric makes this problem much worse.
Commercially, I don't give two shits about 14 million EV's. Just ports to distribution hubs (San Bern, Riverside, Santa Clarita, etc). I'll be long out of this business by the time Emperor Newsom's mandate deadline hits. As far as having the juice for that, not a chance in hell we've got infrastructure for that, even during the day, nevermind at night. Battery storage at the utility scale (as we've chatted about before) is not anywhere near the levels needed to keep up with the improvements on the PV side. Pumped hydro solves this, but again, we are in CA so it'll never work. Turn San O back on?

Reactions: npsp and PRCD

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks for doing your own research!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Commercially, I don't give two shits about 14 million EV's. Just ports to distribution hubs (San Bern, Riverside, Santa Clarita, etc). I'll be long out of this business by the time Emperor Newsom's mandate deadline hits.
Plunder as much as you can. :cheers: I probably need to plan my exit strategy. Maybe I'll become a taskmaster on one of @Subway's plantations/yoga retreats.