calf cramps on missed waves?

lorcar

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 20, 2008
flatMed
i noticed that when I attempt hard and miss it (maybe for misplacement or other reasons) i get calf cramps. I thought this is due to kicking more than usual in the hope to get the wave, because i never get it when i do get the wave and take off. Anyone sharing same issue?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Few weeks back I spun from sitting to paddling for a wave. That motion spurred on by far the worst cramp of my life, felt like my calf was trying to jump off the bone. It just kept spazing out for about a minute and felt like it was trying to roll up or something. Thought I had fully torn it. It eventually settled down but I spent the next few days icing it and took a week off from just about any physical activity.....That sh!t was scary

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Calf cramps from catching a wave? That one hasn't happened to me but it occurs when trying to tense my body in an often-futile effort to avoid getting dragged over the falls backwards. Hydration, stretching, potassium, yep. When it happens, just straighten your leg and pull back on your toes hard. Do that until it loosens.

When it's really f*cked is when you pull the tendon underneath your foot. Good luck getting that sorted when you're caught inside by a set.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've experienced it. Where the problem starts in my opinion is that while you are in a sitting position on your board in the lineup you are dangling your toes. Your toes are pointing at the bottom. If you think about it, its kind of an un-natural position especially if you sit for a long time that way like towards the end of a session when you are tired. Then you transition to paddling hard and your calf muscle clenches as you paddle. This triggers a cramp in the fatigued muscle. Try pointing your toes upwards to stretch the calves while you are sitting in the lineup or at the very least moving your feet around more.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I've had this happen when I am going right on an interesting wave...ball of the foot/toes on the inside rail, just driving and trying to make the section, and then getting clipped.

In the split second before I relax for the mauling, without that countervailing force against my feet it is almost like I am a ballerina en point, and in that instance of lots of force with no resistance, calf muscle spazzes out and !CRAMP! while getting thrashed.

Unusual, but happens 1-3x a season.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've had this happen when I am going right on an interesting wave...ball of the foot/toes on the inside rail, just driving and trying to make the section, and then getting clipped.

In the split second before I relax for the mauling, without that countervailing force against my feet it is almost like I am a ballerina en point, and in that instance of lots of force with no resistance, calf muscle spazzes out and !CRAMP! while getting thrashed.

Unusual, but happens 1-3x a season.
Had that happen in my hamstring to the extreme while surfing on a big and extremely cold winter day. Leash might have saved my life that day. The cramp would not release and it pulled my heel up to my ass. I just held onto the board for dear life and got washed all the way to the sand. Was a good 10 minutes before I could hobble off the beach and probably 2 weeks to recover.

Reactions: Njryan

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Yeah i've had it happen even as a youngin. It's just dehydration and muscle straining. Every once in a while while you're paddling back out, try to extend your heels out and stretch that calf.

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
Had that happen in my hamstring to the extreme while surfing on a big and extremely cold winter day. Leash might have saved my life that day. The cramp would not release and it pulled my heel up to my ass. I just held onto the board for dear life and got washed all the way to the sand. Was a good 10 minutes before I could hobble off the beach and probably 2 weeks to recover.

That’s been a happpening a lot more to me in the winter here in jersey. Getting older def isn’t helping, and when it does happen it’s scary especially on bigger days. Worse part is I’m out of the water for a week after. Fell your pain gromsdad...

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Happens to me and wearing boots makes it worse.

I made a calf stretching board. This is the only thing that helps keep my calves loose and flexible.

Keeping that leg warm will help significantly too.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Ah the mystery of calf cramps is only exceeded by the mystery of folks suggestions for prevention and cure. Often set off by contracting the gastrocnemius muscle that leads to a prolonged and very tight involuntary muscle contraction and tetanic like spasm of the muscle. Yes, rather painful and disconcerting. Rub it and stretch it until it subsides. Studies on magnesium and potassium are not statistically convincing. Gentle pre-sports stretching may benefit some. Avoid OVER stretching as that could create small muscle pulls/strains that might make cramps worse!

Reactions: GromsDad and schex

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Oh how I can relate! Yes, it's when you miss the wave! I think when the wave is hard to catch you really bear down and are lowering the neck and pointing the toes - really gets worse if I am cold or tired near the end of a sesh - I've had them so bad it hurt for well over a week- I would think a bigger board might help - but I'm not interested in that! Hydrating and keeping warm are good though