Cabo COVID Safety?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
that sucks. in northern baja last week with fam and heading back with wife tomorrow for our anniversary. they need our business.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We drove down to the Cabo area a couple weeks ago; scored on the east cape. Super strict covid policies everywhere down there; temp check, sanitizers, masks, limited capacity, etc.

Reactions: Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We drove down to the Cabo area a couple weeks ago; scored on the east cape. Super strict covid policies everywhere down there; temp check, sanitizers, masks, limited capacity, etc.

A friend had a wedding down there a week or two ago. We wanted to go, and might have, but it wasn't worth it after talking to our IVF provider.

One friend and his wife tested negative at home, attended, and tested positive on the way home. Their kid at home tested positive. It appears that they brought it with them, but I'm not totally sure. At least one other friend that attended tested positive when they came home, but not sure about his family. The only people with masks at the wedding were the staff.

I wonder how many others would've tested positive by now if they all tested.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We were on the way to Scorpion but got a call that it just closed; completely locked down due to covid. Ended up scoring a swell on the east cape for a week, but camped/hoteled/stayed at friend's houses along the way and back; Guerrero Negro, Mulege, Todos, Loreto, etc.

3,000 miles and 60 hours roundtrip from home.o_O

I had never gone. Super fun.

1628612228266.png

1628612266313.png

1628612290354.png

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
looks so fun. I would love to do a surf/fish trip with the fam. maybe abre and la paz combo but damn the east cape looks like a fun option for surf

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I don't fish but that whole Mulege - Loreto area is super cool and beatiful. We ate and shopped in La Paz but that was about it.

When the east cape points are lit up with swell, :waving:

Reactions: Autoprax

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
done a dozen plus peninsula runs to the EC and recommend before it gets much more played out. Its a changin fast these days....
Never got to try your north road advice.

Sushi and resort style restaurant on the EC...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
done a dozen plus peninsula runs to the EC and recommend before it gets much more played out. Its a changin fast these days....
used to camp at 9 palms as a kid. often empty, rarely more than a few campers. went this past june. 50 guys out for the morning session. what a difference 30 years makes.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
used to camp at 9 palms as a kid. often empty, rarely more than a few campers. went this past june. 50 guys out for the morning session. what a difference 30 years makes.
yes for sure. Was there for that Feb. swell and it was caravans of people in motorhomes and sprinter vans pulling in. Talked to a younger nice dude and told him stories of the old days. He was like damn I was born in the wrong era....

Reactions: rice and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
yes for sure. Was there for that Feb. swell and it was caravans of people in motorhomes and sprinter vans pulling in. Talked to a younger nice dude and told him stories of the old days. He was like damn I was born in the wrong era....
Yeah. Im glad i at least got a taste of some of the classic spots before they were completely torched. San juanico 20- 25 years ago before they paved the road was pretty epic as a teenage frother. My family still has a place there but I rarely bother. I might stop in for a few days on my way down the coast just to fish some of my old spots in the area but surfing the points just bums me out.

Reactions: rice