CA Schools opening in July? WTF is the logic behind that?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Any idea why? I realize that this year is ending up kind of a waste, but it is finishing nonetheless. With that, what's the logic behind opening schools early next year?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Is the school opening in July a continuation of this school year or a jump start on the next year?

Can't recall where but I remember reading about a gripe about some schools not being able to give out end-of-year grades because of the truncated school year. Maybe it is related to that?

But yes, I agree that the July school reopening is odd.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is the school opening in July a continuation of this school year or a jump start on the next year?

Can't recall where but I remember reading about a gripe about some schools not being able to give out end-of-year grades because of the truncated school year. Maybe it is related to that?

But yes, I agree that the July school reopening is odd.
Dunno, but seems that the school year would have to be complete in order for kids to graduate and go off to school?

I don't have kids but my wife works at a school, and this messes up our summer plans big time :mad:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Apparently schools and child care are in stage 2 and "weeks away". Gyms and barber shops/salons are stage 3, concerts and fairs etc stage 4.

Guess it's riskier to have a single person standing behind me cutting my hair than it is to pile 30 runny-nosed kids into a room and send them home to their parents afterwards? WTF?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Dunno, but seems that the school year would have to be complete in order for kids to graduate and go off to school?

I don't have kids but my wife works at a school, and this messes up our summer plans big time :mad:
Right?

My kids are young so it doesn't really matter at the age they are but I was already wondering how this affects Final and AP exams. Sure, some it can be done remotely but all of it? The whole thing is a clusterfuck.

Sorry about that with summer plans - that is some bullshit.

We also had a bunch of camping trips lined up. Already had to nix Joshua Tree a couple weeks ago. Pinnacles on Memorial Day weekend along with Kings Canyon and Yosemite are still in the mix. Even if things open up for holiday weekend, I'm not sure I even want to go as it will be a hoarded out madhouse. And I am not a fan of crowds at all. One of the reasons that I don't care how long it takes, I will only take the long way into Yosemite via Tioga Pass from now on.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Apparently schools and child care are in stage 2 and "weeks away". Gyms and barber shops/salons are stage 3, concerts and fairs etc stage 4.

Guess it's riskier to have a single person standing behind me cutting my hair than it is to pile 30 runny-nosed kids into a room and send them home to their parents afterwards? WTF?
SCIENCE!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Totally illogical with schools. I laughed when they said they would disinfect overnight. What will that be, 5 minutes the next morning before the entire classroom is filled with boogers?

• Haha

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
There's a whole lot of logistics that need to be ironed out and I hope state DOEs are planning ahead.

-Classroom sizes and physical distancing
-How instruction is going to happen. Hands-on and laboratory learning experiences are out for now.
-Who's supplying PPE?
-How to deal with older staff and staff with underlying medical conditions.
-How to deal with students who have underlying medical conditions
-Cleaning surfaces every day
-Physical spacing in cafeterias......especially in schools that have a common lunch.
-What do do with schools that have open-campus lunches
-Gym class
-Hallway passing

And I'm just referring to high school. I have no idea how the fvck middle school and elementary would work.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Right?

My kids are young so it doesn't really matter at the age they are but I was already wondering how this affects Final and AP exams. Sure, some it can be done remotely but all of it? The whole thing is a clusterfuck.

Sorry about that with summer plans - that is some bullshit.

We also had a bunch of camping trips lined up. Already had to nix Joshua Tree a couple weeks ago. Pinnacles on Memorial Day weekend along with Kings Canyon and Yosemite are still in the mix. Even if things open up for holiday weekend, I'm not sure I even want to go as it will be a hoarded out madhouse. And I am not a fan of crowds at all. One of the reasons that I don't care how long it takes, I will only take the long way into Yosemite via Tioga Pass from now on.
Thanks mang. Still employed so we are doing better than most, so we are grateful for that. Although it is kind of like being open palm slapped and then backhanded on the return. Italy trip is June is a goner (1st world problem guy, out!). Then we had a medical procedure scheduled that will require some recovery, which this will mess up if it goes through. Will probably do a long mid-week trip to Santa Cruz in June just to get some semblance of a vacation.

The whole justification is the "learning loss" from this years interruption. Yeah, I get that this year is a wash, but don't kids forget everything over the course of summer anyways? For fook sake.

I have a feeling that the teachers unions are going to crush this. They can and should use medical concerns as an excuse, even if the real reason they are pissed is because it cuts into their plans :ROFLMAO:

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
My wife is a high school Spanish teacher and when I told her this she freaked. They usually start the end of August but it sounds like they're saying could be end of July. They're doing online classes now until the end of the school year which is the beginning of June. I don't get why they would have the kids go back to classrooms in July if they are taking classes online to finish the year.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
There could be some economic concerns, particularly for working parents. Public schools effectively provide a babysitting function, without which those burdens fall directly on the parents.

Reactions: trevorbc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Thanks mang. Still employed so we are doing better than most, so we are grateful for that. Although it is kind of like being open palm slapped and then backhanded on the return. Italy trip is June is a goner (1st world problem guy, out!). Then we had a medical procedure scheduled that will require some recovery, which this will mess up if it goes through. Will probably do a long mid-week trip to Santa Cruz in June just to get some semblance of a vacation.

The whole justification is the "learning loss" from this years interruption. Yeah, I get that this year is a wash, but don't kids forget everything over the course of summer anyways? For fook sake.

I have a feeling that the teachers unions are going to crush this. They can and should use medical concerns as an excuse, even if the real reason they are pissed is because it cuts into their plans :ROFLMAO:
I have no idea one way or the other but isn't the teachers union pretty strong in general? I think this a pretty large onus to put on the teachers right now, especially considering how hard a lot of them worked in getting the online education up and running.

Kids in general have been stressing with all the change going on. Don't make them go back to school in July. Let them have a little stress relief. With everyone relatively cooped up, let everyone blow off some steam once the Covid levels off a bit. And like GDaddy says, it is a hell of a burden on working parents who are also effectively homeschooling right now too. I recognize that I am in a relatively fortunate position since my wife is a stay at home mom and my job can be done remotely with relative ease. But a lot of parents are burning out hard.

That sounds like it would have been a great trip to Italy. Road trip is better than nothing when it comes to a vacation but Italy isn't an opportunity that comes around all that often.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
So the guvner will be ready to end all lockdowns when "therapeutics" are developed? What "therapeutics" would that be?

If he is talking a vaccine, he is talking nonsense. The odds of an effective vaccine being developed are slim to none and slim just left the building.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I have no idea one way or the other but isn't the teachers union pretty strong in general? I think this a pretty large onus to put on the teachers right now, especially considering how hard a lot of them worked in getting the online education up and running.

Kids in general have been stressing with all the change going on. Don't make them go back to school in July. Let them have a little stress relief. With everyone relatively cooped up, let everyone blow off some steam once the Covid levels off a bit. And like GDaddy says, it is a hell of a burden on working parents who are also effectively homeschooling right now too. I recognize that I am in a relatively fortunate position since my wife is a stay at home mom and my job can be done remotely with relative ease. But a lot of parents are burning out hard.

That sounds like it would have been a great trip to Italy. Road trip is better than nothing when it comes to a vacation but Italy isn't an opportunity that comes around all that often.

Most, probably all teachers, HATE this online teaching bullsh*t and just want to get back in the classroom.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Any idea why? I realize that this year is ending up kind of a waste, but it is finishing nonetheless. With that, what's the logic behind opening schools early next year?
Because kids are extremely behind from this half year of homeschooling

Google classroom and periodic 20 minute Zoom meetings are no substitute for school, especially when they're in homes with people working from home or have no skill/experience in homeschooling

And for the Tinfoil/Boog crowd, Gavin is doing this while keeping private business shut down because the kids need their government brainwashing while the working populace is broken down and dependence on the government is created

One World Order!

• Haha

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Because kids are extremely behind from this half year of homeschooling

Google classroom and periodic 20 minute Zoom meetings are no substitute for school, especially when they're in homes with people working from home or have no skill/experience in homeschooling
#whatwouldlondondo?

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
This going to mess up summer trip plans for so many teachers and families. I don't think it will pass.