CA Property Taxes

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Looks like the assessor has been increasing my home value by 2% every year. I know this is the max and they can do that. I looked at neighbors houses and looks like everyone is getting this same assessment. Is this just life? Is there a way to protest this? I'm gonna have to make more money to pay these damned taxes at this rate.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
yeah, they have the lowest property tax. but can't afford to support a family on what id be making, or purchase property

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Looks like the assessor has been increasing my home value by 2% every year. I know this is the max and they can do that. I looked at neighbors houses and looks like everyone is getting this same assessment. Is this just life? Is there a way to protest this? I'm gonna have to make more money to pay these damned taxes at this rate.
Prop 13, which capped max property taxes at 1% of value per year, allows for a 2% increase every year. You’re stuck with it, unless you get a cheaper house, or re appraise your home during the next crash (which may not work in California).

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
looks like there is an appeal process, but reading about it - it looks like they base their decision on comps, unfortunately all recent comps in my neighborhood went for over my assessed value - so it seems it would be a waste of time. can an appeal backfire - can they jack up your assessed value if you appeal?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
looks like there is an appeal process, but reading about it - it looks like they base their decision on comps, unfortunately all recent comps in my neighborhood went for over my assessed value - so it seems it would be a waste of time. can an appeal backfire - can they jack up your assessed value if you appeal?
Dunno, not sure you can do anything if it’s no more than the 2% allowed per year by law?

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
My annual is about 6,800

Nearing retirement, it's not having enough to survive on, it's making that payment every year that
worries me.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
My annual is about 6,800

Nearing retirement, it's not having enough to survive on, it's making that payment every year that
worries me.
next year I'm guessing it will 6936. the increase in tax seems to work out to ~2%, they increase the home value yearly, and we bought higher than you did based on your number, and that sh!t is growing fast, yeah worries how will we afford in 5, 10, 15 years, it is insane.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
my dad wrote em a letter explaining all the things wrong with the property and they lowered it a tad

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
What I'm getting from this thread is that if I can manage the miracle to buy where I live, I'll be ultimately fcked by property taxes.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: Ifallalot

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
What I'm getting from this thread is that if I can manage the miracle to buy where I live, I'll be ultimately fcked by property taxes.

Am I missing something?
Yes, you'll be getting extra taxed to make up for the tax revenue shortfall from all your neighbors who've owned for decades paying below market tax rates due to Prop 13. It's also why so many of our other taxes are too high.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

Am I missing something?
are now that SALT deduction is capped at $10K and the county bill keeps going up fractionally each year due to bond measures, fire department, water, etc added ontop of the property tax

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
just got my bill
$9k a year
its cute that half the bill isfor public school cost,
i dont have kids at all.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Property tax reductions (in CA) don't restart the clock - they function more as a temporary reprieve until the markets recover.

If your house is currently worth less than the assessed value they'll only lower it for however long it takes for the pricing to recover the previous assessed value. If they reduced it by 15% one year because the values had dropped that much but those values then increased by 20% a year or two later they'll instantly go back to the previous assessed value and start ticking up again at that maximum 2% increase.