CA people: this seems like good news - is it? how bad is this situation?

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I walked in to Razors at low tide a few times (jog, paddle, jog, paddle) and even surfed this weird little reef east of there I don't know the name of. I was alone, nobody ever said sh!t to me. Pretty much wasn't worth it wave-wise, but it is beautiful.
There's a spot in there folks call Zoomers.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I've surfed Razors big and perfect and fun and then big and freaking scary and undergunned on a 6'6" while Keith Malloy and pal were on 8'0"s.

• Wow
Reactions: santacruzin

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
It's about two miles. Don't recall if it's doable at high tide.
It isn't. I walked in once and surfed all low tide afternoon and tried to walk out in the dark after both the swell and tide had risen. Legitimately thought I might drown, don't be like me.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: sizzld1 and rice

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There's a spot in there folks call Zoomers.
My first time to the Ranch we were about 18 and walked in and surfed Zoomers. We thought we were so fukkin cool. Never surfed it since (why would I, it's not very good). And +1 on Razors being scary on a big day.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
My first time to the Ranch we were about 18 and walked in and surfed Zoomers. We thought we were so fukkin cool. Never surfed it since (why would I, it's not very good). And +1 on Razors being scary on a big day.
One day after surfing the ranch all day, we got the Gaviota Pier really good; shoulder high and hollow corners all over just south of the pier. Never seen it like that again...

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
If a flat earther can boat in anyone can...
505 times bro....still willing and able @ 64.....wanna go?

Over 100 days at the spot just above Zoomers....

Have only seen it really scary a few times....

Usually when the period is 20 seconds....

When the best surfers up there are backing out of the bombs....yup....pretty heavy.

Have surfed it with a 20' @ 17s 295 degree solid swell.....dead glass....and 5 guys out......solid 15 ft faces +.

Was not scary at all.....lined up perfection tip to tail.....

Walk ins have ruined the crowd situation these days...unless you go on higher tides....which can work out pretty well.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
505 times bro....still willing and able @ 64.....wanna go?

Over 100 days at the spot just above Zoomers....

Have only seen it really scary a few times....

Usually when the period is 20 seconds....

When the best surfers up there are backing out of the bombs....yup....pretty heavy.

Have surfed it with a 20' @ 17s 295 degree solid swell.....dead glass....and 5 guys out......solid 15 ft faces +.

Was not scary at all.....lined up perfection tip to tail.....

Walk ins have ruined the crowd situation these days...unless you go on higher tides....which can work out pretty well.
Lived in 805 almost whole life minus 10+/- years in Santa Cruz and Puerto Viejo and have never had any desire to surf Rincon or go to the Ranch. I am a regular foot who loves going left so a pass for $90 for the bezt left on Gaviota coast is worth it for me:shaka: