CA orders mask mandate

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

”More than 1.56 billion discarded face masks used as a preventive measure to contain the novel coronavirus transmission will enter oceans in 2020, aggravating plastic pollution and threatening marine life, calculated a report.

These disposed non-biodegradable masks made from polypropylene, weighing between 4,680 and 6,240 metric tonnes, could take at least 450 years to degrade. Microplastics released by them would enter the body of marine creatures, severely impacting their life cycle.“

Reactions: Ifallalot

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

”More than 1.56 billion discarded face masks used as a preventive measure to contain the novel coronavirus transmission will enter oceans in 2020, aggravating plastic pollution and threatening marine life, calculated a report.

These disposed non-biodegradable masks made from polypropylene, weighing between 4,680 and 6,240 metric tonnes, could take at least 450 years to degrade. Microplastics released by them would enter the body of marine creatures, severely impacting their life cycle.“
The last time I came across a store that required a mask to make a purchase was after i had stopped carrying a mask myself.

Fortunately there was a wide variety of used, discarded masks on the ground outside.

So I picked one up, put it on, and made my purchase..

Now my wife refuses to kiss me.

Two birds one stone.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Glad we banned straws and grocery bags

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I always properly discard my masks.

I wear mine for a long time.

The staff usually yells at me to get a clean mask.

I will have ink and food stains all over it.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
My safety third gaiter looked like a used wound dressing from a medieval leprosy colony by the time I finally threw it away.

1640190228331.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You're both right. Places we go are maskless. Places Boomers go are masked. Boomers want to live in an all-Boomer world where only they exist and they pretend they're still in the '60s seeing hot new bands like The Doobies and The Grateful Dead. This world probably smells real bad and people drop dead pretty regularly. Happily, I don't live in it. This is the Way. Keep Boomers in their world and out of the way of the rest of the world.
I have no problem with that. If you’re not a boomer gtfo and stfo. See if it bothers me that I won’t have 15 new neighbors (so far), including a hotel. The world is your oyster jr. stfo of my oyster bed.:cursing:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You’d think with all these discarded COVID infected masks laying around we’d have a 100 million dead by now.
early in the pandemic, there was concern that it could be transmitted from surfaces, however over time, that thinking has changed. Current data doesn’t support transmission by touching surfaces being a contributor to the spread.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
early in the pandemic, there was concern that it could be transmitted from surfaces, however over time, that thinking has changed. Current data doesn’t support transmission by touching surfaces being a contributor to the spread.
Yeah, no sh!t. Yet we still get to see the theater of cashiers wiping down the counter in between customers.

This has been my biggest issue with entire policy reactions to COVID. We learn new things about yet continue with same mitigation behaviors that we started with.

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary government program.

Another example is those plexiglass shields you see everywhere. At best they do nothing and one study shows they make things worse by disrupting air flow. They’re still up.

6 feet of distance? You know where that number came from?

Yup, someone’s ass…

Reactions: PRCD

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, no sh!t. Yet we still get to see the theater of cashiers wiping down the counter in between customers.

This has been my biggest issue with entire policy reactions to COVID. We learn new things about yet continue with same mitigation behaviors that we started with.

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary government program.

Another example is those plexiglass shields you see everywhere. At best they do nothing and one study shows they make things worse by disrupting air flow. They’re still up.

6 feet of distance? You know where that number came from?

Yup, someone’s ass…
We're still taking our shoes off at airports for chrissakes

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
They're closing because of staff covid outbreaks, not any dogma. When they don't have enough covid-negative workers to run the show what you you think they should do?
Don't test

Stay open

Close if their workers are actually sick, and do it on an ad-hoc basis

This is happening in LA, if you don't think dogma is part of the multivariate reasons for these closures you're being blind

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Don't test

Stay open

Close if their workers are actually sick, and do it on an ad-hoc basis

This is happening in LA, if you don't think dogma is part of the multivariate reasons for these closures you're being blind
They are testing sick workers, and testing remaining staff if and when someone tests positive. This seems pretty reasonable to me :shrug:

Close for a few days, come back when the wave passes. All good. Much better policy than sweeping closures and lock downs.

Reactions: afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have no problem with that. If you’re not a boomer gtfo and stfo. See if it bothers me that I won’t have 15 new neighbors (so far), including a hotel. The world is your oyster jr. stfo of my oyster bed.:cursing:

"But I reckon I got to light out for the territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before."

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

"But I reckon I got to light out for the territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before."
You’re a boomer. Come on down!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

It is the Post, so....

An unvaccinated man in the Houston area is believed to be the first person in the US to die from COVID-19’s Omicron variant, health officials said.

The man, who was in his 50s, had survived a previous case of COVID-19 but had underlying health conditions, the Harris County Health Department said Monday.

PS

Link to study (am unsure how great a study of 1 person is)

This case illustrates that re-infection can occur even just after a few months of recovery from the first infection. Our findings suggest that SARS-CoV-2 may persist in humans as is the case for other common-cold associated human coronaviruses, even if patients have acquired immunity via natural infection. In rhesus macaques that have recovered from SARS-CoV-2 infection and re-challenged with the same virus, the peak viral load during re-challenge was >5 log10 lower in the BAL but only ~2 log10 lower in the nasal swab when compared with those during the first challenge [25]. Similarly, in vaccine studies, viral RNA could still be detected in the upper respiratory tract for vaccinated animals [38]. Further studies on re-infection, which will be vital for the research and development of more effective vaccine, are warranted. In summary, reinfection is possible 4.5 months after a first episode of symptomatic infection. Vaccination should also be considered for persons with known history of COVID-19. Patients with previous COVID-19 infection should also comply with epidemiological control measures such as universal masking and social distancing.