CA gas prices

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
So then you still think racism was the main factor? Not just one of many factors?

Let's try a hypothetical.

You're a WWII vet. GI Bill beneficiaryl iving in the city. You've got 3 Baby Boomer kids ages 3 to 8 years old screaming, yelling, fighting. You're living in a 600 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath dilapidated apartment. Your landlord just raised the rent AGAIN. The walls are paper thin and you might as well be living with your neighbors. It's also August and it's 90 degrees outside and every day when you get home from work you're blowing out a nose full of black boogers. Your kids are begging for a dog. And then you see an ad in the newspaper for a place where the kids can run free outside on a grassy lawn, your square footage doubles, you're not sharing walls, there's two bathrooms, the air is fresh, and your wife can actually make a little bit of noise when you're plowing her. And with the GI bill you can afford it. And your wife keeps telling you the Jones family loves it out there.

Or is this suburban living mainly a negroes thing?

Like, if the negroes didn't exist you'd stay in the same shitty urban environment?

lol
I'm saying it's inextricably linked with the other factors and has played a defining role in much of American history. At the macro level, it's there.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm saying it's inextricably linked with the other factors and has played a defining role in much of American history. At the macro level, it's there.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That already happened

Special interests and Javier Becerra made sure the repeal didn't go through.

Public did not know the full story (the state had squandered their road dollars elsewhere)

So it made it look like the state had no money for road repairs without raising taxes. (false)
the voters have exercised their free will

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
You didn't answer the question.

Again,

If the negroes didn't exist you'd stay in the same shitty urban environment I described above?
Certainly it would be a possibility that I buy an urban dwelling with a little more space.

Look man, I get that there are other reasons. But the development of American suburbs was laced with racism from top to bottom.

Like I said, you're allowed to disagree.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Certainly it would be a possibility that I buy an urban dwelling with a little more space.

Look man, I get that there are other reasons. But the development of American suburbs was laced with racism from top to bottom.

Like I said, you're allowed to disagree.
Thankfully you’re weren’t living in California or anywhere else in 1956. Or 1976.

I never thought of it that way. I doubt my parents thought of it that way.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Housing supply was short at the time so not likely.

And you're going to choose the house with the yard and a degree of peace and quiet anyway. Your little slice of the American dream.

You know it.

Especially when you've got three kids running around and it's affordable.

Have you ever lived in a 1950s - style apartment with paper thin walls in a crowded major city with zero emissions controls, high crime, cigarette smoking everywhere, urban filth, overcrowding, etc? I have... you're not going to get this experience on this continent or Western Europe but I think it gives perspective.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Thankfully you’re weren’t living in California or anywhere else in 1956. Or 1976.

I never thought of it that way. I doubt my parents thought of it that way.
Cookies for you and your parents. Good job!

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
No cookies for you. But you get the best LA has to offer today. So, no complaints, right? You’re right where you want to be, right? Good on ya!
LOL life is pretty good.

Did I touch a nerve somewhere here? Apologies if I offended you.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Casa, buddy, I already answered that. You didn't like my answer which is fine.

I don't blame anybody for moving to the suburbs, I'm just saying the suburbs wouldn't exist in their current form without interventionist government policy and structural racism. (And yes, this is way off from the topic of conversation but I do love a good thread derail.)

Anyway, enjoy your evenings everyone!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa, buddy, I already answered that. You didn't like my answer which is fine.
You said you'd stay in the shitty urban environment and buy something with more square footage...which I pointed out was a cop out because one of the main factors driving people to suburbs was short supply of housing in the shitty urban environment.

But yes, we all know you love the dirty city and the bonus pitch black boogers.

Reactions: bird.LA

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
the voters have exercised their free will
What would be a better/more palatable alternative to collect than tacking on another nickel and a half, or having a gas tax at all? I mean in reality-land where the voters said this money is getting raised, not in the anarcho-capitalist utopia of Galt's Gulch aka Somalia. GWS is right that the gas tax (like any consumption tax including the FAIR tax; prebate in all holes) is regressive and it seems like a less 'elective' thing to levy a tax on vs taxing tobacco or alcohol.

Gas taxes by state, but it's from February:

Says Pennsylvania is #1 overall ($0.587) on $2.48, California #2 ($0.555) on $3.29

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
What is it called when urban blacks move away from blacks, and urban hispanics move away from hispanics? Is that raced based suburban sprawl?

In the 80's many blacks and hispanics moved away from inner burbs of LA to much more affordable AND less crime ridden newer suburbs of Riverside. Most were parents of young kids trying to get away from gangs and their influence on their own.

Problem ended up being that some of these kids were already gang bangers, and just started up gangs out in Moreno Valley and such.

Sad, but this also happens in lower/middle class white 'hoods just as much. New parents want to give their kids the best environment possible, and have some room for a dog and backyard BBQ's. Basically the classic American Dream, and it was that way long before WWII.

Hell, even China is copying us on that too.....

Or would you rather opt for this to raise a family in?

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Commercial vehicles exist in Europe even though gas is $10 a gallon,idiot.

Economy didn't collapse like ifailalot stupidly claimed.

If you are complaining about gas prices (I'm not) and drive a truck which has never seen dirt or carried anything heavier than a 12 pack of Coors, than buying a smaller more efficient vehicle would be stupid not to do.

Or if you're insisting on commuting 70 miles a day.
"insisting" and "being forced to" are two wholly different things