CA gas prices

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
LOL. I know the other factors you'd prefer to focus on, but they're not independent of the elephant in the room as much as you'd like them to be.
Focus on?

I'm saying - and said - it's multifactorial.

You framed it solely as a race issue - not to mention acting as if the past was also the present.

By framing race as the central issue to the development of suburbs in the USA you're being plain dishonest.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr Doof said:
Those should be built first where the jobs are not out in the boondocks.

Outer Sunset?
Some were built in the 60s/70s by SF State on 19th Ave.

They just built a few new ones by the zoo (and a MUNI line), though local soil conditions/code do not allow 'em to go too high.

Some more new ones built on 19th too closer to GG Park.

But jobs aren't on that side of the city. The new residential towers and big block buildings are on the east side where all the jobs are.

I don't love love love! all the construction, but it is better than paving over farmland, filling the wetlands, building into the chaparral, etc., so I abide.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
DUDE.

I can think of at least 3 taco shops offhand in the MB area alone.

One of them being Taco Temple. (!)

And if you want to live on the wild side there's tacos El Viejon.

It's uber-diverse up there!
Viejon is fairly new. I take you’ve been by recently? Or maybe you are using google street view :unsure:
Why someone built another Mexican place in a road with 3 that don’t seem to do well, pls taco temple that practically prints money, is beyond me.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Focus on?

I'm saying - and said - it's multifactorial.

You framed it solely as a race issue - not to mention acting as if the past was also the present.

By framing race as the central issue to the development of suburbs in the USA you're being plain dishonest.
I can't help that you're reading things into my posts that aren't there. (Saying it's only a race issue.)

But the 'burbs happened to coincide with the integration of cities, white flight... and wouldn't you know it, most all of the suburbs were segregated (de jure when possible, de facto everywhere else.)

What would you say was the central issue to the development of American suburbs?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I can't help that you're reading things into my posts that aren't there.

Here's what you wrote:

There's plenty of information about the factors that led to the formation of American suburbs, and it's undeniable that main drivers were white flight and government social engineering as a response to (unwanted) urban integration.

Among other things, including your reply to GWS a few posts back that you deleted.

What would you say was the central issue to the development of American suburbs?
Foremost?
Automobiles easily available, there was investment in transportation infrastructure, there were lots of GIs with GI benefits (college/mortgage), and new ways to mass produce homes and do it cheap.

Living with 3 young children in a a tiny dilapidated one or two bedroom 600 sq ft apartment, paying rent, hearing your neighbors fcuking etc. SUCKS, likely worse than your kid "going to school with a negro..."

Aside from that.

Keeping up with the Joneses
Overcrowding in cities
Methods of mass production of homes
Crime
Integration, race riots
Environmental filth in cities
Fresh air
Peace and quiet

Reactions: Ifallalot

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Sounds like we're in agreement then buddy

(And to the point Sharkbiscuit made before, which of those factors you listed do you think applied most in Jacksonville?)

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
So then you changed your mind that racism was not the main factor as you previously stated?
Not at all. It's nearly impossible to separate the race thing from many of the other factors on your list. Especially when you consider that non-white Americans were not given the same opportunity to get that fresh air and that keeping up with the Joneses meant matching their lily-white existence and that crime/safety is often about perception more than anything, etc.

But it's ok for us to disagree.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Put your money where your mouth is

Sell your gas guzzling work/surfmobile truck

Use this instead

Commercial vehicles exist in Europe even though gas is $10 a gallon,idiot.

Economy didn't collapse like ifailalot stupidly claimed.

If you are complaining about gas prices (I'm not) and drive a truck which has never seen dirt or carried anything heavier than a 12 pack of Coors, than buying a smaller more efficient vehicle would be stupid not to do.

Or if you're insisting on commuting 70 miles a day.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not at all. It's nearly impossible to separate the race thing from many of the other factors on your list. Especially when you consider that non-white Americans were not given the same opportunity to get that fresh air and that keeping up with the Joneses meant matching their lily-white existence and that crime/safety is often about perception more than anything, etc.
So then you still think racism was the main factor? Not just one of many factors?

Let's try a hypothetical.

You're a WWII vet. GI Bill beneficiaryl iving in the city. You've got 3 Baby Boomer kids ages 3 to 8 years old screaming, yelling, fighting. You're living in a 600 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath dilapidated apartment. Your landlord just raised the rent AGAIN. The walls are paper thin and you might as well be living with your neighbors. It's also August and it's 90 degrees outside and every day when you get home from work you're blowing out a nose full of black boogers. Your kids are begging for a dog. And then you see an ad in the newspaper for a place where the kids can run free outside on a grassy lawn, your square footage doubles, you're not sharing walls, there's two bathrooms, the air is fresh, and your wife can actually make a little bit of noise when you're plowing her. And with the GI bill you can afford it. And your wife keeps telling you the Jones family loves it out there.

Or is this suburban living mainly a negroes thing?

Like, if the negroes didn't exist you'd stay in the same shitty urban environment?

lol

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
in summary: campaign against the gas tax(es) and win the votes

That already happened

Special interests and Javier Becerra made sure the repeal didn't go through.

Public did not know the full story (the state had squandered their road dollars elsewhere)

So it made it look like the state had no money for road repairs without raising taxes. (false)

Reactions: laidback