CA gas prices

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Except that's bullshit. Sitting in traffic in Miami you can smell the fact that Florida doesn't have SMOG test and emission laws.
Nah, you're actually the one really full of sh!t.

As per usual.

In fact, none of the cities in Florida made the most polluted cities list.

SCIENCE!

Why do you hate it?

Reactions: Ifallalot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So according to that chart we should be paying 4 cents more a gallon than the good folks of Pennsylvania. It's more like a buck a gallon or more. And there's no way any "Special CA formula" adds that kind of coin to a gallon of gas.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So according to that chart we should be paying 4 cents more a gallon than the good folks of Pennsylvania. It's more like a buck a gallon or more. And there's no way any "Special CA formula" adds that kind of coin to a gallon of gas.
In terms of production costs, I agree that it probably does not cost close to a dollar more to make. Its a supply and demand issue when the state can only buy gas from a small handful of refineries. Even for the other states, there aren’t very many refineries to begin with.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
In terms of production costs, I agree that it probably does not cost close to a dollar more to make. Its a supply and demand issue when the state can only buy gas from a small handful of refineries. Even for the other states, there aren’t very many refineries to begin with.
Build more refineries. Make Mexico pay for them. Pemex gasoline is refined to Californium standards. It costs around $1usd/ltr. No free lunch.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If Florida had California's topography it would make Mexico City look like the Galapagos. Houston and Dallas don't have mountains downwind and their air quality sucks - along with almost everything else that could possibly suck about a place.

I like where hammies is going with this.

You guys in California should do like Ogro tries to tell the left leaning political posters. You should move.

Think about the places you could live unencumbered by liberals. Have you ever been to Indiana in February? Don't be Wabashful; jump in! Water's fine.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
then why are Cheeto & the GOPTards trying to prevent CA from having standards & regulations that try to do about it
Because the vast majority of the standards and regulations make no sense, especially when it comes the CARB and the various AQMDs

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Due to a variety of reasons, building new refineries in the USA might not be profitable.

Source (if you can't trust subsidized ethanol producers, who can you trust?)

It comes down to profitable for whom. If that graphic is real I see either a lot of Americans walking or a drastic drop off in population in the next 6 years.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I actually know how much profit per gallon each entity makes (refineries, distributor, retail, etc.)

Nobody makes more than the state.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
At five dollars a gallon consumption really drops off.

So you got to accept 5 dollars and go from there.
The market determines the price. Then you add on the taxes and regulatory requirements which aren’t responsive to the market.

As of right now, the most profitable entity in the gasoline “business” is the state.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Duffy LaCoronilla said:
As of right now, the most profitable entity in the gasoline “business” is the state.
Fecal:
Quoted for stupidity.
--

Actually, no. Talk to any retailer and they make far larger a profit margin on a Snickers bar than they do a gallon of gasoline. That's why, when gas stations are being upgraded, the operators don't worry too much about the dispensers being shut down but will freak if the mini-market shuts down.
Considering the percentage of taxes vs. retail price, the state is making out like a bandit.

Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
--

Actually, no. Talk to any retailer and they make far larger a profit margin on a Snickers bar than they do a gallon of gasoline. That's why, when gas stations are being upgraded, the operators don't worry too much about the dispensers being shut down but will freak if the mini-market shuts down.
Considering the percentage of taxes vs. retail price, the state is making out like a bandit.
I know but he's talking like the state is lining their pockets with "profit", like it's some separate private entity, while ignoring the fact that that money is going back to benefit us.

You may not like where it's spent but that's a different issue.

Gas should be $10 a gallon, that's the only way this country would WTFU.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I know but he's talking like the state is lining their pockets with "profit", like it's some separate private entity, while ignoring the fact that that money is going back to benefit us.

You may not like where it's spent but that's a different issue.

Gas should be $10 a gallon, that's the only way this country would WTFU.
Most of it is going to state pensions (I would guess). Main point is that it is getting taken away from consumer for diminishing returns (an idiotic bullet train to connect Arvin to Pixley, lack of road maintenance overall but rich areas getting resurfaced twice a year, etc.).

I was kidding about the $12 but I would sacrifice an increase in gas prices if it would result in less population.

Reactions: FecalFace