CA Central Coast Road Trip

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
Wife and I planning to road trip it for a few days in May. Will be travelling in VW van - looking for a place to park a night around Jalama or Gaviota, then probably like 2 nights around Santa Cruz. Being that Im late to book space at state park campgrounds, any recommendations of private campground/rv park, or where to park (besides Walmart)?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Wife and I planning to road trip it for a few days in May. Will be travelling in VW van - looking for a place to park a night around Jalama or Gaviota, then probably like 2 nights around Santa Cruz. Being that Im late to book space at state park campgrounds, any recommendations of private campground/rv park, or where to park (besides Walmart)?
You can make reservations for Gaviota and Jalama now, with possible success.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Jalama is private park may stil be able to book or pull off 101 before gaviota tunnel and park camp and hit jalama in the morning.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Im beginning to wonder if its going to be rainy through May this year.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
May is usually cold and blown out and windy AF on the central coast.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
To pile on here, wifey and I have a window of 5 days in April and will be taking a new camper build on it's maiden voyage. First two nights booked in Plaskett Creek Campground, second two nights are undecided, final night on the way home we are booked in Jalama. Looking for suggestions for the middle two nights. It will be mid week so that should lend options. I went to Hearst Castle when I was a wee lad, she's never been. Was thinking about that. Or maybe just checking out the food/coffee scene in SLO because we like that sort of thing. If the surf is good that will change things as well. Maybe some wineries?Although we will have our two dogs with us. But they can sleep in the camper while we do whatever.

Looking for suggestions, PM me if you have something that you don't want to let the entire World Wide Web know. Thanks in advance.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Pfeiffer Big Sur is a nice campground and there are some nice hikes in the redwoods there.

Hearst Castle is to my wifeys liking. I go for the free range beef jerky. If they have the bbq’s going …yum. :cheers:

Reactions: SurfMission

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
To pile on here, wifey and I have a window of 5 days in April and will be taking a new camper build on it's maiden voyage. First two nights booked in Plaskett Creek Campground, second two nights are undecided, final night on the way home we are booked in Jalama. Looking for suggestions for the middle two nights. It will be mid week so that should lend options. I went to Hearst Castle when I was a wee lad, she's never been. Was thinking about that. Or maybe just checking out the food/coffee scene in SLO because we like that sort of thing. If the surf is good that will change things as well. Maybe some wineries?Although we will have our two dogs with us. But they can sleep in the camper while we do whatever.

Looking for suggestions, PM me if you have something that you don't want to let the entire World Wide Web know. Thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2023
Gotta big back yard at pleasure point you could park your van in.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Did you end up doing/planning this trip? I can offer up some pointers.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I was looking into some tent cabins up the coast a bit. Perusing the pics of the encampment, I happened upon this shot. I think that he was trying to illustrate how close to the beach they were, but............. :drowning:

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 8.57.37 AM.png

Last edited: