CA Beaches Done

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Most of Florida's beaches are still some form of closed. Even the ones that are open, you can't do what you want when you want. You can't go to the beach here, right now, at quarter after 2 Eastern.

I don't think this would have gone well in a place like SF with zero lockdown. SF is multiples as densely populated as most cities in Florida/Texas.

Hialeah is the main city-adjacent place with lots of old people. They had some bumps. As it gets up to the Treasure Coast, over to Fort Myers, the Orlando exurbs, it'll hit the assisted living/long term etc. zones and there will be carnage given the comorbidity/group living situations.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The lifeguards don't want the beaches open.

I've seen several of their posts on social media. One was a lifeguard relating a story about how there were all these patients dying of COVID 19 at a hospital where his wife works (it was a lie - I'm privy to the COVID 19 census numbers at that hospital - there were never more than a few COVID 19 patients admitted there) and using that to justify keeping it closed.
Which county? Which beach? Was he a full-time guy or recurrent?

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
The lifeguards don't want the beaches open.

I've seen several of their posts on social media. One was a lifeguard relating a story about how there were all these patients dying of COVID 19 at a hospital where his wife works (it was a lie - I'm privy to the COVID 19 census numbers at that hospital - there were never more than a few COVID 19 patients admitted there) and using that to justify keeping it closed.

That said,

I wonder if these lifeguards are aware about how lifeguards in the UK are now being laid off en masse?:)
I got laid off en masse. It sucks. Those lifeguards will get their jobs back when beaches open back up. I won't be getting my job back.

But back to the topic at hand, I just wish they would have a well coordinated effort in the first place, like Hawaii. Like I said, I'm hoping Newsom is just doing this for a week or so to coordinate the efforts to keep them open all summer.

Since so many people have been laid off and are just collecting UI, why not create a bunch of jobs that help us open up the beaches in a safe way ASAP? Here are some practical solutions for that, or some new jobs for lifeguards so we ensure they don't get laid off:

1. Social Distance Enforcer - Basically meter maids that hand out tickets to people trying to sit on the beach.
2. Foot Traffic Controller - Direct one-way traffic at beaches with narrow staircases (ex. Grandview, Beacons, Table Tops, etc).
3. Mask Distributor - Hand out free masks to people who don't have them instead of just giving them tickets.
4. Parking Usher - Guide people to where there are parking spots so they don't have to drive around for 30 mins looking for one. Maybe you could even open the public lots back up if we had people helping in the lots!

If Newsom shut everything down for a week to do something similar to the plan above wouldn't we all be stoked!? Not only are we creating jobs, but we're creating an infrastructure that allows us to be open all summer, and not just some beaches, all the beaches!

Seriously, tell me why this isn't a great idea!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I got laid off en masse. It sucks. Those lifeguards will get their jobs back when beaches open back up. I won't be getting my job back.

But back to the topic at hand, I just wish they would have a well coordinated effort in the first place, like Hawaii. Like I said, I'm hoping Newsom is just doing this for a week or so to coordinate the efforts to keep them open all summer.

Since so many people have been laid off and are just collecting UI, why not create a bunch of jobs that help us open up the beaches in a safe way ASAP? Here are some practical solutions for that, or some new jobs for lifeguards so we ensure they don't get laid off:

1. Social Distance Enforcer - Basically meter maids that hand out tickets to people trying to sit on the beach.
2. Foot Traffic Controller - Direct one-way traffic at beaches with narrow staircases (ex. Grandview, Beacons, Table Tops, etc).
3. Mask Distributor - Hand out free masks to people who don't have them instead of just giving them tickets.
4. Parking Usher - Guide people to where there are parking spots so they don't have to drive around for 30 mins looking for one. Maybe you could even open the public lots back up if we had people helping in the lots!

If Newsom shut everything down for a week to do something similar to the plan above wouldn't we all be stoked!? Not only are we creating jobs, but we're creating an infrastructure that allows us to be open all summer, and not just some beaches, all the beaches!

Because cities are looking towards catastrophic losses of tax revenue, meaning they can't afford to be taking on employees.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I went on Tuesday and didn't get within ten feet of anyone. The cops even showed up, shrugged, and drove away. No one was gathering or doing anything risky.

I've been pretty supportive of the lockdown, but this punish everyone for the misdeeds of a few really pisses me off.

I'm going fucking insane without surfing. Might resort to cannibalism soon. Maybe smoke some PCP or something.

Fuck.

This.

sh!t.

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

You are describing a Social Distance Citation Officer.

Social Distance Enforcer is basically the Droogies from Clockwork Orange. Taser, nightstick, thermoses of Milk Plus.

"Welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly well, we aren't 6' apart and exercising, are we good sirs..."

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Because cities are looking towards catastrophic losses of tax revenue, meaning they can't afford to be taking on employees.
Bro, we just printed trillions of dollars and gave it to private corporations with favorable interest rates. We're doing the same with the states, but at smaller amounts.

If CA is going to be borrowing money from the fed government (which we are anyways), why not borrow as much as we can and use it to put people to work? Also, all that money will go directly into the hands of tax payers who will now have income to support our local businesses, pay taxes, etc.

It's not even a genius solution, it's pragmatic and achievable. Hell, I'll even volunteer! Many of the state programs heavily rely on volunteers. If it means we can have a safe community and keep the beaches open, why not? I want to help my community.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
You are describing a Social Distance Citation Officer.

Social Distance Enforcer is basically the Droogies from Clockwork Orange. Taser, nightstick, thermoses of Milk Plus.

"Welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly welly well, we aren't 6' apart and exercising, are we good sirs..."
Who gives a sh!t what it's called?

My solution sounds like a common sense plan void of emotion. Let's just fucking go for it. Vote for me for Governor. I would have done this sh!t in March and we'd be surfing right now.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Because it's mindless, humiliating, pointless, unnecessary work. People want to do meaningful things with their lives, not work in Newsom's Grande Armee.

Reactions: Ifallalot

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Call your local officials and give them your opinion. No one's doing that. Everyone's expecting this problem to be solved at the state, federal or orbital level. Subsidiarity, people.

Like the Left has been saying for 4 years: "RESIST!"
been emailing the local supervisor twice a week for the past 5 or 6 weeks on beach closures. i have gotten a couple non reply replies. when pressed to actually answer some basic questions as to why/data/rationale is being used to support their edicts, i got hostility.

i'm paraphrasing but i've been basically told sit down and we'll have more to say when and if we decide we have come with a plausible explanation.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
been emailing the local supervisor twice a week for the past 5 or 6 weeks on beach closures. i have gotten a couple non reply replies. when pressed to actually answer some basic questions as to why/data/rationale is being used to support their edicts, i got hostility.

i'm paraphrasing but i've been basically told sit down and we'll have more to say when and if we decide we have come with a plausible explanation.
Calls are more impactful than emails. Pick up the phone.

Also, this is a state level decision now, so call your state representatives.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Calls are more impactful than emails. Pick up the phone.

Also, this is a state level decision now, so call your state representatives.
Uncle Lou calling his Rep, Sens Loeffler and Perdue, Pence, and Trump about the 2020 college football season was hilarious. Probably more effective than email like you said. There's a reason NetSuite's pricing allows for levels to encourage online orders vs phone orders - cost to serve.

Squeak and let there be grease.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
meanwhile come on up...

"In Humboldt County, also near the Oregon border, Sheriff William Honsal indicated he wouldn’t enforce Newsom’s order to close beaches and state parks. “It is not OK to punish Northern California for Southern California’s mistake, and I hope he hears that loud and clear,” Honsal said in a statement Thursday."