CA Beach to be Returned to family it was Stolen from

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There's a movement called LANDBACK to return lands to the original indigenous communities. The no brainer is to return control of public lands through transfer or requiring tribal consent rather than consultation for government activities. They are pursuing strategic purchasing of private land through donations, grants, and trusts (think Nature Conservancy).

Check it out!

https://ndncollective.org/ndn-collective-landback-campaign-launching-on-indigenous-peoples-day-2020/
They lost the war. Get over it.

Just like the confederates.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Has anyone ever reflected on why surfing in CA is so overwhelming white? Hopefully this will help shed light on the reason why. It's not because black people don't like the beach or swimming blah blah blah.
Growing up, our little pack of groms included two black dudes and 3 brothers who are half Kiwi half mexican.

Nobody is stopping is stopping non-whites from surfing.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
What's the story?
'Meanwhile, Moses' eyes had focused on the Sunken Meadow, the fifty-acre sand bar east of Randall's Island. The hundred-yard strip of East River that separated it from the island concealed land that lay only a few feet below the surface. Moses ordered the strip filled in —and Sunken Meadow was thereby made a part of Randall's Island, and another fifty acres was acquired for park space.'

They guy sucked up land all over new york to create roads, parks, bridges, etc - some of it purchased some taken via eminent domain.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
'Meanwhile, Moses' eyes had focused on the Sunken Meadow, the fifty-acre sand bar east of Randall's Island. The hundred-yard strip of East River that separated it from the island concealed land that lay only a few feet below the surface. Moses ordered the strip filled in —and Sunken Meadow was thereby made a part of Randall's Island, and another fifty acres was acquired for park space.'

They guy sucked up land all over new york to create roads, parks, bridges, etc - some of it purchased some taken via eminent domain.
I did not know they could eminent domain for a park.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I did not know they could eminent domain for a park.
"Almost any property can be taken for such public projects as parks, schools, flood control channels, courthouses, bicycle paths and the like."

• Sad
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Should see the amount of property taken by imminent domain for the highspeed rail in the Central Valley. It's insane.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta

Also, it technically wasn’t stolen. Everyone was paid.
This article states the bruces were paid for their land.

The LA times article I posted stated that the bruces and the other black families had to sue in order to get any money.

That does not sound like getting paid.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
This is from the article Duffy posted.
Seems pretty unbiased and balanced journalism..... :ROFLMAO:

"Another option would be for the signers of the petition demanding reparations to start a “Go Fund Me” page. If they strongly believe reparations are due to the people whose property was taken, then the petitioners should, as it is said, “put their money where their mouth is.” I understand it would be difficult to raise the entire $75 million that way, but it would be a start."

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Also, stating that "Only one black family was driven from the city by racists" is not exactly something to brag about, IMO.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
From another article:
"By 1929, seven Black families over two blocks of land were forced to sell their property. At least a dozen white landowners were also forced off their land — but only the Black property owners had built homes and buildings."

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Your world defines everyone’s :shrug:
Growing up on other side of town North 805 everyone was a minority unless you are local and live within mile of spot or Jamie George or Britt Merrick or other CI rider... Most my grom surfer friends and high school white but did have/know handful of Mexican surfers.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Growing up on other side of town North 805 everyone was a minority unless you are local and live within mile of spot or Jamie George or Britt Merrick or other CI rider... Most my grom surfer friends and high school white but did have/know handful of Mexican surfers.
Jamie George ripped! What ever happened to that guy?