buying used board in hawaii

Dec 15, 2004
Going in a couple of weeks to stay with friends on Oahu. Where's a reliable shop with good selection (I'll have trasportation where ever)? How much should I expect to pay? And most importantly what size/type of board should an intermediate surfer (from the east coast) look for, keeping in mid I'll probably be just watching if the waves are over DOH? Extra length seems to be an important aspect in Hawaii. Any help would be appreciated.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
I'd look at, but pass on spending money on the tourist shops near Waikiki.
Haliewa always has some good stuff, even tho it's touristy in a different kind of way.
Look for a board that works in waves you can handle...that could be anything from a fish to a log.
Bear in mind, if it's 5' Hawaiian, which is your DOH, you would need a 7'+ semi gun to handle, since you're not used to the rips, currents, crowds, or the power and speed of the waves.
You know used boards....they can go for anything from $50 to $400!
I got my best deals at the windsurfing shop next to Naish's at Kailua, but it's not there anymores.

Sep 25, 2004
Honolulu, HI
surf n sea in haleiwa has a ton of used boards--in varying condition. also just walk around haleiwa & peak into the smaller shops and look for for sale signs at the coffee gallery. otherwise you can try craigslist or walk up to the university in manoa and look for forsale signs. or try the classifieds. there are some consignments shops--one that i bought a 6'6 malolo at was called blue hawaii but i don't think they're there anymore. waikiki has some joints, but i would think the prices would be higher than in haleiwa.