Buying my first classical guitar

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've played guitar (electric and acoustic) for over 25 years and have been learning a bunch of classical etudes on my steel string Martin. It's time to get a classical nylon string.

I''m hoping to spend under $1,200.

Will be playing at church and probably gigging sometimes with it, but I won't be playing large halls without amplification.

I've been told the Cordoba C9 is a solidly built entry level guitar, and my research tells me it's the cheapest way to have a all solid body (non-laminate) guitar.

I played a early 70's Alvarez that I really liked, but it had laminate sides so I didn't pounce on it. Does that matter at all?

@waxhead

For your troubles.....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm presently learning this. I play on a steel string, sometimes on an electric. Can't help out with the guitar choice.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Might be worth checking UCSB and city college music depts. Students who need $ often sell epic guitars. I'll send you a pm about a guy I know in town.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
When I was still working and traveling ( a lot), I visited Gruen’s in Nashville and bought a 1969 N-20 Martin (classical) with a serial number several digits off from Willie Nelson’s ‘Trigger’ ( Martin N-20 classical, serial number 242830). When I returned to San Diego, told my son (who was becoming a very talented guitarist, far better than me by then) if he learned one classical number the guitar was his. He wasn’t interested and I sold it later, almost doubling my investment. Months, perhaps a year later he was into ‘outlaw’ country and asked if I still had the N-20. Nope, gone. He was bummed. Just another collectible when I was traveling and the $ was good. If you can score an N-20 Martin regardless of the year or Nelson legacy, buy it if you can. You won’t be disappointed. John

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
It's difficult, but not impossible to find a really good classical in that price range. Cordoba is not known as a great guitar. But, sound and playability rule the day. I like the idea of checking the local colleges. Also craigslist or reverb. You might find a used hand made instrument. If you get "an entry level" classical, you'll likely want to upgrade.
For a gigging guitar though, that might be fine. Check out this forum if you haven't:

Classical Guitar - Index page (classicalguitardelcamp.com)

They have a for sale section, and some of the guys on it know their stuff.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Yamaha with solid top is a good beginner classical. You can notice a difference in tone between cedar vs spruce top, but laminated vs solid back/sides not so much. Everyone makes a 'good' guitar in factories in China. The brand doesn't matter much. I would start with that to get going, then later go down the rabbit hole of custom builders. Anything seriously professional level custom built is starting around $3K. Then you are into more of the collector's space where the guitar will hold its value. Don't waste much time with youtube sound clips, you have to hear and play them in person to notice a difference in sound and feel. Better to just start with your standard size solid top and then figure out what you like and don't like as you progress in skill.

Reactions: Boneroni

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I want to learn the basic finger picking.

My playing has actually gotten worse over time because of Logic Pro.

I play one good bar and then I copy and paste.

I would prefer to have a guitar hero in my band that I could push.

But guitar heroes no like me.

https://soundcloud.com/user698828797%2Finfantalize-me
I realize I wrote a pro boot strap song.

Maybe I will be a hero of the right?

I will totally go against my principles for money and fame! Who wants to join my MAGA band?

Last edited:

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
less than $1K:

You could see some familiar faces here. The more you learn about this company the more willing you'll be to spend the money:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Current geetar restrung this AM. Indian rosewood sides, spruce top with fan bracing, ebony fingerboard, the tuners are pure butter.

Last piece I learned about a year ago. This guy plays I think a Yamaha CG series of all things and just kills everything he plays including lllibels's Tarrega piece.

Last edited:

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I have the same guitar but with mechanical tuners. Same year. Had it for over 30 years. Mine is beat up now but still sounds and plays great. I think the price is pretty good. IMO 4K would be a steal. I know that Ramirez blancas from that era are highly regarded so the resale value is there. If it’s anything like mine you won’t be sorry.

I’ve been eyeing this

Reactions: Boneroni and rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I have the same guitar but with mechanical tuners. Same year. Had it for over 30 years. Mine is beat up now but still sounds and plays great. I think the price is pretty good. IMO 4K would be a steal. I know that Ramirez blancas from that era are highly regarded so the resale value is there. If it’s anything like mine you won’t be sorry.
I don’t know if I can go through with it. Yeah I was thinking I’d ask if they’d do 4K